Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LS1Gearhead

Stock 2000 Z28 vs. '03 SVT Cobra

I have a bone Stock '00 Z28 A4 and yesterday a guy in an '03 Mustang with Cobra and SVT badges on it pulled up next to me and my cousin at a light, he started to rev it up and we both went on green, I had my car in Drive with the ASR off and the mustang never even came close to me. I could hear the supercharger on his rig whinning wicked loud. So at the next light the guy was all pissed off and said he couldn't get his traction control to work or some bullshit so again we both hit it on green with the same result. At the next light he was like: "what the hell is in that thing etc.." he refused to believe it's bone stock, which it is. I'm really not sure what the '03 Cobra is supposed to run but everyone tells me I'm full of it and that it couldn't have been a real Cobra etc... luckily I have my cousin to verify. The only thing I can assume is the guy didn't know how to drive. Regardless a win is a win. I've never taked my car to the track and was wondering if anyone had an idea what a stock '00 Z28 A4 would run in the Quarter. I've seen several different listings in various mags but wondered if anyone has any personal experience.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you might have a freak who knowws, was the cobra burning out each race, because if so thats why you won

White
    2001 Camaro SS

Your car has more heart, kid!

White
    2001 Camaro SS

No, but really I have had four bout's with 03/04 infamous whine cobras and Came out of those with one win, two ties, and one loss. Not to rowl the hornets nests hear but all lot of upsets happen on the streets. Wether is driver error, traction control, weight difference. Maybe California High smog restrictions slow cobra's down here more.

Artic White
    2001 Camaro

Thats some great races. Must be a freak and the others need to learn how to drive.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Thats awesome. Makes me wanna take a my 00z28 for one last ride before i sell it

Black
    01 ws6

Good work I got one here as well, pulled him every time. They are fast though, now I wonder who I am going to race if I get a supercharger? Vipers? The guy I raced could drive and I told him so. He told me I'm not very happy with you right now. HA HA HA.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Well congrats. But that is still hard to achieve. That dude must have had no traction whatsoever.
    2000 SS #1827,NBM,A4,leather,t-tops,lid,eibach springs,hotchkis lca's,slp lid,slp cold air induction,slp loudmouth,baer brakes up front,13.11@107 on street tires,12.90@109 on dr's....time for the cam and intake to be installed

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The 03-04 Cobras have 390HP (they out down like 380 at the wheels), but they are rather heavy, at ~3800lbs. However, they are still faster than a stock LS1, especially an Automatic.

Sounds like the guy either had something wrong with his car or just couldn't drive, who knows, nice race though.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Sounds like he couldn't drive at all

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

NO SIR you dont have a freak....my 1st bonestock run with a terminator i won on the freeway...i heard him hit rev limit like 3 times, thats the only reason i won im sure.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Usually stock for stock the 03 will walk an LS1 auto.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

um 01 cobra maybe and u were imagining the whine?? ..was he pulling on u HARD once he got traction????? i would have to assume so or im callin bs on it being an 03-04 cobra

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

I'm going to go with good kill, you got verry lucky! I wouldn't even post this if it was me. Karma is a bitch..

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Man, I guess 2000 was the year for Z28's!!! So many on this board! Anyways, good kill. I believe it cause I was dead even w/ 2 '03-'04 Cobra's when I was bonestock.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

All In The Driver -yupp

Torrid Red
    05 GTO

Good kill, but I agree with ramrod - you got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Gearhead View Post
    I have a bone Stock '00 Z28 A4 and yesterday a guy in an '03 Mustang with Cobra and SVT badges on it pulled up next to me and my cousin at a light, he started to rev it up and we both went on green, I had my car in Drive with the ASR off and the mustang never even came close to me. I could hear the supercharger on his rig whinning wicked loud. So at the next light the guy was all pissed off and said he couldn't get his traction control to work or some bullshit so again we both hit it on green with the same result. At the next light he was like: "what the hell is in that thing etc.." he refused to believe it's bone stock, which it is. I'm really not sure what the '03 Cobra is supposed to run but everyone tells me I'm full of it and that it couldn't have been a real Cobra etc... luckily I have my cousin to verify. The only thing I can assume is the guy didn't know how to drive. Regardless a win is a win. I've never taked my car to the track and was wondering if anyone had an idea what a stock '00 Z28 A4 would run in the Quarter. I've seen several different listings in various mags but wondered if anyone has any personal experience.
    Car and Driver got 12.9 E.T.s with a burnout before staging, mmm... Same as the new "Shelby" GT 500! Haha!
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I THINK THEY SELL THIS EXHAUST TIP AT CHINAZONE

my head is as bald as my tires,so i's can get mo luv to em.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    you might have a freak who knowws, was the cobra burning out each race, because if so thats why you won
    With todays manufacturing processes, there is no such thing as a factory freak. His car will dyno 270-280 SAE. I am not doubting the kill. It may have been an 03 Cobra. He beat the driver. I do question so many 03 kills though because you will not find too many that have not put at least a 2.93 pulley on it. I read several posts on LG1GTO.com from 04 GTO owners with A4's saying they were an equal match to a stock 03. That's a total boatload of BS. A stock 03 will walk all over an 04 GTO. There are too many people that don't have a clue about cars. A 360 rwhp weighing 3800 pounds is not going to lose to one 300 rwhp or less weighing 4000 pounds. An 05 GTO will have a chance. I ran a bonestock auto WS6 on street tires and me bonestock on the stock F1's on the local 1/8 and beat him by several car lengths. A bonestock 03 on ET DR's is a mid 12 second car.

If you want to see one run, go to a track. Mine was running 7.90's with the stock pulley on ET Streets through the stock cats, Bassani catback and stock air box with a K&N drop in. It dynoed 420 rwhp SAE with just those mods. Just for comparison, a guy with an SS with a few bolt-ons and a 100 shot was running 7.90's on BFG DR's. Later went to a 2.80 pulley, chip and an o/r x-pipe and ran 7.31 on the same track and 11.39 quarter.

Take your car to the track if you really want to find out how fast it is. Too many things can happen on the street. On stock street tires you'll be doing good if you can break 8's. I've seen a pile of F-Bodies running low to mid 9's on street tires. I'd bet money I couldn't beat most 300 HP cars in a street race right now with the 3.90 gear I'm pulling. I don't street race anyway and one of the reasosn is I have zero traction in the first four gears up to 100
    Last edited by Pumped03; 09-19-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Thread Information