Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

which brings me back to my question?? was he pulling hard on u by the time u shut down and he had traction? just dosnt make sense..i got beat by an lt1 in my old stock 99z but he had 4.10s and drag rads ..destroyed me off the line but i was pullin on him hard till we hit traffic around 80mph...by a 100 i woulda passsed him...im not doubting u won the race just saying he had to be pullin hard on u at that point or the laws of physic's dont exist in your town..lol

LS1Gearhead
    I live in a small town and I've spoken to the guy with the Mustang on several occasions since we raced. He said the car isn't really a cobra svt it's an '03 Mustang GT that he put cobra and svt badges on he said it came with a 4.6 260hp engine and that he added an aftermarket supercharger to it but isn't running that much boost. He also said he's had a lot of trouble getting traction and difficulties with wheel hop and is disappointed with the factory IRS setup. There is another guy in town whom I spoke with that has a 1999 Mustang Cobra it's naturally aspirated and stock with the exeption of a flowmaster cat-back system his car is the M6 and my 2000 Z28 is stock with the A4 I was wondering if I have a chance to beat him. Also for next year I was planning on getting some headers and a cat back system with an SLP cold air intake. Any tips or suggestions for the most bang for the buck initial mods would be appreciated.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

ahh ok that makes lots of sense now...NICE KILL!!! i had one of those gen mustang gts chase me down yrs ago in my nearly stock 99 m6 z28...results the same as yours....at the light he was yellin out the window with a big smile..." its blown" as hes screaming the supercharger near redline...whineing loudly...i just shrugged my shoulders..light turns green and i smoked his ass off the line...he stayed 2-3 lengths back to about a 100 where i shut down and he gave me a ricer flyby...LOL....good times........future bang for buck mods for u.....everyone says pacesetter headers are the best bang/buck...slp lid sounds like a good idea......as far as an exaust do our research to see what kind of sound u want.....i love the way my borla sounds

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Gearhead View Post
    I live in a small town and I've spoken to the guy with the Mustang on several occasions since we raced. He said the car isn't really a cobra svt it's an '03 Mustang GT that he put cobra and svt badges on he said it came with a 4.6 260hp engine and that he added an aftermarket supercharger to it but isn't running that much boost. He also said he's had a lot of trouble getting traction and difficulties with wheel hop and is disappointed with the factory IRS setup. There is another guy in town whom I spoke with that has a 1999 Mustang Cobra it's naturally aspirated and stock with the exeption of a flowmaster cat-back system his car is the M6 and my 2000 Z28 is stock with the A4 I was wondering if I have a chance to beat him. Also for next year I was planning on getting some headers and a cat back system with an SLP cold air intake. Any tips or suggestions for the most bang for the buck initial mods would be appreciated.
    OK, two things wrong with that. The 03 GT came with a SOLID AXLE, and the 99 Cobra has a FIVE-SPEED.

Just my personal opinion, but dude with the GT is a dipsh*t for putting Cobra stuff on a GT. With the money he spent on a supercharger and appearance mods, he could have had the REAL DEAL.

Good kills by the way, keep racking them up!

EDIT: Man I was just thinking he probably rebadged. I dont know why but there are A LOT of Mustang guys around here who do that. I know of 3 off the top of my head that look very similar to the 03-04 Terminators but are not. I think thats kinda lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The 03-04 Cobras have 390HP (they out down like 380 at the wheels), but they are rather heavy, at ~3800lbs. However, they are still faster than a stock LS1, especially an Automatic.

Sounds like the guy either had something wrong with his car or just couldn't drive, who knows, nice race though.
    they weigh 3650 coupe and 3740 Vert...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    OK, two things wrong with that. The 03 GT came with a SOLID AXLE, and the 99 Cobra has a FIVE-SPEED.

Just my personal opinion, but dude with the GT is a dipsh*t for putting Cobra stuff on a GT. With the money he spent on a supercharger and appearance mods, he could have had the REAL DEAL.

Good kills by the way, keep racking them up!
    As a mustang owner, I couldn't agree with you more. He doesn't know his car and is talking out of his azz.
    2005 SRT-4 : Stock for now
    93 LX 5.0 : Vortech V2-SQ 3.33/6.87 * AFM power pipe * TFS Heads * Cobra Intake * 80MM Pro-M * 255lph in-tank/255lph in-line * SCT Flip Chip * Snow Stage2 Boost Cooler
    481 RWHP 455 RWTQ pump gas, 5600RPM, 11:5 A/F. before LT's Tuned by Kauffman's

DOHC DORK

Red
    00 S2000

Sounds like one of those guys who likes to talk about racing and responds to the phrase "Whoooohooo! Do a burnout!" every time it's shouted.

Good kill.

Never know what you're going to roll up on with those 03/04 Cobras (assuming they're not fake ones) - Theres several pulley/belt/intake/reflash kits for around a grand that will give those things another 120 ponies and another 175 ft/lbs......monsters...just monsters.

Might have to score me a used one of those here in a few months, after the 04 leased ones start coming back into the auto auctions.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped03 View Post
    With todays manufacturing processes, there is no such thing as a factory freak. His car will dyno 270-280 SAE. I am not doubting the kill. It may have been an 03 Cobra. He beat the driver. I do question so many 03 kills though because you will not find too many that have not put at least a 2.93 pulley on it. I read several posts on LG1GTO.com from 04 GTO owners with A4's saying they were an equal match to a stock 03. That's a total boatload of BS. A stock 03 will walk all over an 04 GTO. There are too many people that don't have a clue about cars. A 360 rwhp weighing 3800 pounds is not going to lose to one 300 rwhp or less weighing 4000 pounds. An 05 GTO will have a chance. I ran a bonestock auto WS6 on street tires and me bonestock on the stock F1's on the local 1/8 and beat him by several car lengths. A bonestock 03 on ET DR's is a mid 12 second car.

If you want to see one run, go to a track. Mine was running 7.90's with the stock pulley on ET Streets through the stock cats, Bassani catback and stock air box with a K&N drop in. It dynoed 420 rwhp SAE with just those mods. Just for comparison, a guy with an SS with a few bolt-ons and a 100 shot was running 7.90's on BFG DR's. Later went to a 2.80 pulley, chip and an o/r x-pipe and ran 7.31 on the same track and 11.39 quarter.

Take your car to the track if you really want to find out how fast it is. Too many things can happen on the street. On stock street tires you'll be doing good if you can break 8's. I've seen a pile of F-Bodies running low to mid 9's on street tires. I'd bet money I couldn't beat most 300 HP cars in a street race right now with the 3.90 gear I'm pulling. I don't street race anyway and one of the reasosn is I have zero traction in the first four gears up to 100
    The GT0 and the Cobra weigh just about the same. Stock for Stock i think it will be a drivers race between the LS2 gto and the cobra
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    The GT0 and the Cobra weigh just about the same. Stock for Stock i think it will be a drivers race between the LS2 gto and the cobra
    Maybe in 1/4 it would be close but Im pretty sure from a roll the Terminator would pull the GTO no doubt.

DOHC DORK

Red
    00 S2000

I'd have to disagree there, respectfully.

LOL. Ford and GM are the worst about "factory freaks". I spend a fair amount of time around the dyno with the local car guys, and you see a 15-20hp variance on Ford trucks in particular. A good tune on a completely stock F150 can yield up to 25 whp. I've even seen a good 8-10hp variance on the newer LS2 powered GTOs.

20hp might not sound like much - but that's nearly a 10% HP variance - wayyyy unacceptable.

IMO, what you're seeing more and more with the quality control coming out of Detroit is that union labor has crippled the american auto manufacturing industry so pathetically that GM will be lucky to be standing on it's own two feet in the next 5 years. It makes me very sad. We still build good cars in America, the problem is that more and more of them are Japanese owned.

GM and Ford have given so many of these vehicle incentives away with 0% financing and cutting their margins to less than 20% per vehicle that they are starting to become very cash starved. Pray for the USA - our big industry is in trouble.

/endrant

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped03 View Post
    With todays manufacturing processes, there is no such thing as a factory freak. His car will dyno 270-280 SAE. I am not doubting the kill. It may have been an 03 Cobra. He beat the driver. I do question so many 03 kills though because you will not find too many that have not put at least a 2.93 pulley on it. I read several posts on LG1GTO.com from 04 GTO owners with A4's saying they were an equal match to a stock 03. That's a total boatload of BS. A stock 03 will walk all over an 04 GTO. There are too many people that don't have a clue about cars. A 360 rwhp weighing 3800 pounds is not going to lose to one 300 rwhp or less weighing 4000 pounds. An 05 GTO will have a chance. I ran a bonestock auto WS6 on street tires and me bonestock on the stock F1's on the local 1/8 and beat him by several car lengths. A bonestock 03 on ET DR's is a mid 12 second car.

If you want to see one run, go to a track. Mine was running 7.90's with the stock pulley on ET Streets through the stock cats, Bassani catback and stock air box with a K&N drop in. It dynoed 420 rwhp SAE with just those mods. Just for comparison, a guy with an SS with a few bolt-ons and a 100 shot was running 7.90's on BFG DR's. Later went to a 2.80 pulley, chip and an o/r x-pipe and ran 7.31 on the same track and 11.39 quarter.

Take your car to the track if you really want to find out how fast it is. Too many things can happen on the street. On stock street tires you'll be doing good if you can break 8's. I've seen a pile of F-Bodies running low to mid 9's on street tires. I'd bet money I couldn't beat most 300 HP cars in a street race right now with the 3.90 gear I'm pulling. I don't street race anyway and one of the reasosn is I have zero traction in the first four gears up to 100

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I dont agree.

350 is on the low end for the cobra and the high end for the GTO.

there is only a 70LB difference in weight. However, I have personally seen Cobra lay down 375+ on the dyno stock.

Tom

Sonic Blue
    2003 SVT Cobra

Nice kill...dude couldn't drive. But as our leader says, Vin Diesel says, "A win is win."

LOL!!

-Mike

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Gearhead View Post
    I have a bone Stock '00 Z28 A4 and yesterday a guy in an '03 Mustang with Cobra and SVT badges on it pulled up next to me and my cousin at a light, he started to rev it up and we both went on green, I had my car in Drive with the ASR off and the mustang never even came close to me. I could hear the supercharger on his rig whinning wicked loud. So at the next light the guy was all pissed off and said he couldn't get his traction control to work or some bullshit so again we both hit it on green with the same result. At the next light he was like: "what the hell is in that thing etc.." he refused to believe it's bone stock, which it is. I'm really not sure what the '03 Cobra is supposed to run but everyone tells me I'm full of it and that it couldn't have been a real Cobra etc... luckily I have my cousin to verify. The only thing I can assume is the guy didn't know how to drive. Regardless a win is a win. I've never taked my car to the track and was wondering if anyone had an idea what a stock '00 Z28 A4 would run in the Quarter. I've seen several different listings in various mags but wondered if anyone has any personal experience.
    COME ON!! The 03 cobra runs a 12.8 stock vs the z28 runs a 13.3 stock
    I love F body cars, but lets be honest, the guy either couldnt drive or it was a GT with bdges on it. Remember a GT with a supercharger does not equal a 2003 cobra, big differance.

2002 TA

No but a Gt with a supercharger will still spank a stock LS1, I'd put money on it. The only way it wouldn't is if the supercharger adds 50hp and thats it.

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    GT with supercharger will spank stock cobras, LS1s, vettes. (except z06 new edge or new)

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

Fuck That Shit ---ive Been Spanking Supercharged Gt's Since Stock ....it Better Be A Terminator Or Danm Equivalent.............dont Get Me Into Forced Induction On The Ls1......once The Ls1 Is Buttoned Up W/rod Bolts And Pistons You Overheating Cobras Need Be Wary.......600 Rwtq Is Then Being Moderate !!!----a C5 Zo6 405 Hp Would Spank A Supercharged Gt--

2002 TA

Quote Originally Posted by unnatural aspirations View Post
    Fuck That Shit ---ive Been Spanking Supercharged Gt's Since Stock ....
    ....I'm guessing your 12?

Quote Originally Posted by doodad. View Post
    GT with supercharger will spank stock cobras, vettes. (except z06 new edge or new)
    No they wont.

2002 TA

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    No they wont.
    Not if they are untuned, are only pushing 4 psi, and have balled tires.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information