Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Red face Were we both winners, or both losers...I was Evolutionized last night!

An Evo was egging me on last night and I didn't even see where he came from! He passed me and then slowed down, so I knew it was on! I acted like I was not interested, per I was really trying to hear if my bottle opener was working . Prob 5 lbs left, but it was better then nothing. I had no time for the heater, so it was prob running rich, but I still needed that extra boost to get me a victory.

Here's how it really went down:

My car: Black '99 Z28/SS M6 LS1
    My mods: FTRA, lid, k&n, SLP dynomouth, 4.10 gears, NX 150 wet

The race:
    -Evo was in front of me at the light (1st in line)
    -He went thru the intersection slowly and then goosed it on me
    -I nailed it a second after him, and really I went from being down approx 3 cars, to about 2 cars, so I prob put a car on him all the way up through 4th

I NEVER PASSED HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF, I had a full bottle
    IF, I would have been in front of him or next to him
    IF, I had time to heat the bottle up
    I am sick of saying IF!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I was faster, maybe slower, but w/o the juice there was no chance at all. I have beaten these guys at the track multiple times. They all seemed to be running 13's while I was running 12's. Was this thing moded out? He certainly was pretty confident egging me on by doing a blow by and then slowing down and waiting for me. This guy knew he was fast!

Who really won? Can I say with confidence that I was faster per he nailed it first and I was able to close the gap?

I FELT LIKE A HIGH SCHOOL KID IN BIOLOGY CLASS!!

Rich
    Last edited by Z28er; 09-14-2006 at 08:14 AM.

do you like the 4.10 gears I cant make up my mined 3.73 0r 4.10
    ps nice race.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Only go with 4.10's if:

-You never go to the track
    -You never plan on doing NOS, supercharger, or turbo
    -If you plan on doing a cam at some point, do the 4.10's for sure

Do 3.73 if
    -you are going to do NOS or blower, etc and not do a cam, and
    -you go to the track a lot

The reason I say this is because on the street the 4.10's are awesome...at the track w/o a cam right now, I am stuck shifting into 5th gear!

-The best gear has been said to be 3.90's, but you need a 12 bolt or 9 inch rear which I do not plan on doing.

A cam might be part of my near future for the car.

Rich

Senior Member Blown Interceptor's Avatar

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Where did this happen? What color was the car? Time for a cam there buddy!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Happened last night on Camino Del Norte. The Evo is white....did not see anything but a fat wing and chrome tip coming out of the back since I never caught him!

Yes, I am going to get a cam....prob a Z06 to be legal on the smog, but still get the shifts up int he 6400 range.

Can I spray a stock motor up to 6400?

Rich

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

man hearing you say "if i had a full bottle" sounds too much like a ricer to me, but i'm sure the lancer wasnt stock if he was you'd a caught him at 3rd and passed his ass for sure

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

I know, but really, IF I HAD A FULL BOTTLE...LOL

Hey, there is always gonna be someone faster, but I didn't think it was gonna be an EVO.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Im gonna tell you. That evo was either an evo9 with full exhaust, 22psi of boost, air intake, and a tune. OR-an evo8 same mods as above but with cams. This race started from a slow roll right? Its kinda hard to tell who would have really won if yall started even. From a deadstop he's suppost to put at least 1-1 1/2 length on you. Starting even from a slow roll you might have started walking him if your bottle was full. I have basicly the same mods as above on my evo8, just a little more. I raced a z28 from 20-70 and i was pulling on him slowly. From what i could hear and see, he had exhaust and nos cus i heard him purge it when he reached over to his dashboard. I heard an extremely loud PISCH sound before we took off. Good race by the way.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

I hate to admit it, but that guy was fast as hell! Not sure if I will beat him the next time we meet, but I will give him hell trying! Just wish I knew what he had! Any way to tell by looking at one of these...special kits, special tips, special badges that would tell us it's a EVO-8 or EVO-9??

Rich

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

On the front bumper. The evo9 has 2 little fog lights on the bottom. You can also tell if it had black taillights or the ugly chrome tail lights.

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Modded turbo cars can be really really fast. I've seen lousy launches and still crack 11s or 12s at Sears.

The fact he didn't even try from a dig means he was running serious boost or even a bigger turbo making serious HP.

I would rather have the LS1, btw.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

whatever dude your relying on the bottle way too much...just cam it with headers

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Of course I am relying on the bottle per that is where all my power is!

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

OK. I went to the 1/8th mile track last night for the first time ever. There were 4 WS6's. 2 of them i have no clue what the mods are. They were running low 9's. 1 ws6 had a cam, intake, full exhaust with headers, and tune. His best time that night was 8.46. The other ws6 had intake, full exhaust with headers, and tune. He constantly ran high 8.87's-9.01's. I ran a 8.36 and constant 8.4's. My 60ft's were all in the 1.8's. I have intake, full exhaust, cams, boost controller set at 22psi on 91octane, and a tune. So im pretty sure that evo you raced had about the same mods i have.
    Oh yeah, there was a 04 cobra there running 8.4's-8.6's

Quote Originally Posted by Z28er View Post
    Of course I am relying on the bottle per that is where all my power is!
    Have you had your engine tuned yet? Although still being stock, you'd be surprised how much power is hiding within. I agree with some of the others though, get a cam, as well a set of long tubes, and call it a day...

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver View Post
    OK. I went to the 1/8th mile track last night for the first time ever. There were 4 WS6's. 2 of them i have no clue what the mods are. They were running low 9's. 1 ws6 had a cam, intake, full exhaust with headers, and tune. His best time that night was 8.46. The other ws6 had intake, full exhaust with headers, and tune. He constantly ran high 8.87's-9.01's. I ran a 8.36 and constant 8.4's. My 60ft's were all in the 1.8's. I have intake, full exhaust, cams, boost controller set at 22psi on 91octane, and a tune. So im pretty sure that evo you raced had about the same mods i have.
    Oh yeah, there was a 04 cobra there running 8.4's-8.6's

EVO8 driver - I'm in Garland - stay in Denton okay ... would hate to even see you on the street LOL - sick setup man - good job!!!!!

I messed with an EVO8 and he got a terrible start from a dig - but we were still side-by-side at the launch. We were side-by-side until about 85/90...which I was happy with.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Thats it. Im going to garland. Jk lol. What color was that evo you raced? I might know him.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver View Post
    Thats it. Im going to garland. Jk lol. What color was that evo you raced? I might know him.
    It was Red, in the Plano area on Preston and I think Park or Parker? I thought it was funny because it was the first time I really ever looked at one of them. Funny little teeth things on the roof of the rear windshield.

It started out by me passing him on the left and we were coming up to an intersection of a three-lane road (had about half a length), but we weren't racing, just....aware of oneanother - lol. The light just turned from red to green and he jumped on it to pass me and take the lane - so I mashed it and gave him a

This got his goat since he had to back off and get behind me. We pull up to the next light, both of us at a standstill. The light turns and it was like - oh, heck yeah!!!!

We both took off side-by-side, we went up to then end of first gear and his confidence was quite shaken - he actually moved from a "laid-back" position to a "whooo, this is for real" type thing. We chirped from 1st to 2nd at the exact same time. 2nd to third came up and he had barely a fender at the end of third, buth I'm an A4. So just after 3/4 shift, its all over. Like I said though 85/90mph good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    Modded turbo cars can be really really fast. I've seen lousy launches and still crack 11s or 12s at Sears.

The fact he didn't even try from a dig means he was running serious boost or even a bigger turbo making serious HP.

I would rather have the LS1, btw.

I dont try from a dig usually either but doesnt paticularly mean serious boost (well depends what you think is serious) or bigger turbo.

yeah diffs are expensive. i love rolls so no one can say well u have awd. I will launch my car when i get my tc/diffs and trans built. till then i will stick to hwy rolls.
    2006 evo Ix ams tuned
    mods:buschur fp3065 turbo, buschur fmic,gsc s1 cams,full 3" turboback(catless),hallman,walbro,exedy twin
    450awhp/349awtq 22psi(pumpgas 93oct)

1994 firehawk 20k dark green/tan cloth m6, bone stock.

Thread Information