Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

3rd Gen's have no Top End

Posted about the Srt-4 but im bored so i'll make a thread on the 3rd gen I raced two days ago.

I was on the highway and a 3rd gen TA came past me so i sped up and got next to him. He had his girl in the car so I guess he figured he would show off and try to blow my doors off. So im like ok.. So I drop down to 3rd(80mph) and blow his off Didn't know I was going to leave him like that..
    and my tires got lose.. weird.. cuz im pretty much stock
    So anyway I get off at the next exit which is about a mile and a half ahead and turn around cuz I missed merging onto the highway I needed to get on for this clown. So he follows me and gets next to me and signals to go again. So I drop to 3rd again at 70, he gets on it, hit the gas a few time to jerk foward as he has the fast and the furious look on his face trying to pull away then I mash it, shift to 4th, walk on him a few buses, shift to 5th, walk a few more buses.. no more like run a few more.. then let off at 140 barely able to see him in my mirror.
    I exit because I missed my merge again for him and he compliments my car and says "yeah I need a new water pump though"
    While his girl looks at my car like shes trying to figure out what it is.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol Poor third gen. I have owned 5 third gens and none of them had much of a top end.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Don't rub it in

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

A LS1 will destroy a third gen, even if it's an L-98 car! I own both and can say that with confidence. I still like driving my third gen over my LS1 Z-28 though, can't wait to get her running again. Good kill, guess he learned his lesson!

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Unless its the 89 TTA.. lol... but I love my 3rd gens... would love to drop an LS1 into one of them... but I like my 02's power for my daily right now.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

Question

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Unless its the 89 TTA.. lol... but I love my 3rd gens... would love to drop an LS1 into one of them... but I like my 02's power for my daily right now.
    89 TTA ? Please elaborate

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

1989 Turbo Trans Am.. VERY rare F-body.. runs about a 13.3 STOCK.

Unless its the 89 TTA...
    Agreed. I recently finished the swap on my new project, a '92 Firebird 3.1 w/5-speed, now sporting an '87 3.8 Turbo, w/6-speed. Although I still own my mid twelve second '98 Trans Am, the '92 walks it, repeatedly (haven't ran it yet, but she's in the elevens no doubt)...

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1
    A LS1 will destroy a third gen, even if it's an L-98 car!
    Stock? Yes. But throw a set of AFR heads, HSR intake, and CC-306 cam into that L98, along with some tuning, and it would be an entirely different story. The stock third generation's TPI system was so very limited...

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Where did you get the 6 speed from... how hard of a swp was it? Looking to do something similiar with my 'Bird and Camaro.. do a full swap between them... but then I got thinking about a 6-speed instead of the 5....

Where did you get the 6 speed from... how hard of a swp was it? Looking to do something similiar with my 'Bird and Camaro.. do a full swap between them... but then I got thinking about a 6-speed instead of the 5....
    The swap went very smoothly. I'm actually in the midst of designing a webpage showing the entire process, just trying to work out a few bugs in the tuning first. I had the tranny from a previous build, it was the driveshaft that needed some attention though...

I honestly was going to go with a 4.3 turbo from the Typhoon, but the sellers were asking way too much for them. I'm honestly very happy with the 3.8. I get a kick out of all the unsuspecting victims that pull up next to me at stoplights (especially when I rev)...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    . The stock third generation's TPI system was so very limited...
    whats the TPI system?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

tuned port injection. orignally designed for the 305 motor because GM wasn't going to put a 350 in the vettes due to fuel economy reason back in 85. then, at the last minute, they changed their minds. i used to have an 86TA. i went through the gamut of parts. stock set up, then slp runners and edlebrock base, then HSR.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Agreed. I recently finished the swap on my new project, a '92 Firebird 3.1 w/5-speed, now sporting an '87 3.8 Turbo, w/6-speed. Although I still own my mid twelve second '98 Trans Am, the '92 walks it, repeatedly (haven't ran it yet, but she's in the elevens no doubt)...

Stock? Yes. But throw a set of AFR heads, HSR intake, and CC-306 cam into that L98, along with some tuning, and it would be an entirely different story. The stock third generation's TPI system was so very limited...
    Yep and your still limited on the amount of power it'll make, I can throw a set of heads and a cam in my LS1 and spank a built L-98's ass all day long. My third gen was originally a LG4, which of course has no balls, but I did own a 88 IROC with a L98 that had a cam and some work done to it. It was quick but still couldn't put the power down like my fourth gen can. I love third gens, I won't ever part with my 87 camaro but my 4th gen walks all over this car in all around performance. All will change once my LS1 and T-56 gets under the hood of this bright red third gen camaro though.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

thanks mrr ..i feel smarter already

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    Yep and your still limited on the amount of power it'll make, I can throw a set of heads and a cam in my LS1 and spank a built L-98's ass all day long.
    That depends on which L98 your running against. Traxion (from thirdgen.org), for instance, ran mid 11's with his stock bottom ended '90 L98 Iroc. If memory serves correctly, he went with a MR (mini-ram), AFR heads, and Joe Overtun camshaft. Not too shabby, eh?

... I'll see if I can find his old website, if anyone is interested in his build up.

Edit: Here Ya's Go...
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 09-14-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

That depends on which L98 your running against. Traxion (from thirdgen.org), for instance, ran mid 11's with his stock bottom ended '90 L98 Iroc. If memory serves correctly, he went with a MR (mini-ram), AFR heads, and Joe Overtun camshaft. Not too shabby, eh?

... I'll see if I can find his old website, if anyone is interested in his build up.

Edit: Here Ya's Go...

That's impressive, One good thing about the L-98's though is their low end torque, they have some great tire roasting power down low. I know between my 87 camaro and my 98 the third gen is a considerable bit lighter in weight than my Z-28. It's weird how a Iron block and headed, all metal bodied, fully loaded third gen could be lighter than a Aluminum block and headed, plastic
    4th gen camaro. I never have figured that one out yet..

Thread Information