Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ls6 miata......

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

AMEN

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

good way to fag-up an Ls1....atleast choose a non homo lookin' car like maybe an rx7/8 or solstice?

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lmao ^

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    good way to fag-up an Ls1....atleast choose a non homo lookin' car like maybe an rx7/8 or solstice?

Just hope you never run up against one.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

they arent really sleepers beacuse anyone with a brain could hear it wasnt a 4 or 6 cyl

[QUOTE=ss~zoso~ss;398872]they arent really sleepers beacuse anyone with a brain could hear it wasnt a 4 or 6 cyl[/QUOTE

There not sleepers, nore do the need to be to win races. The people whom chose to build V8 Miatas do so because Miatas are great platforms for V8 powered track cars. There not built as sleepers or to look the hottest. Again, we're talking about guys who know how to build fast, great handling, race cars (oval track, road course, or street). Anyone who has raced against one @ the track will tell you that they are very difficult to beat. V8 Miatas are not built by the same guys who put fart cans on Hondas & call them race cars.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by astyles View Post
    here is another vid of the v-8 miatas
    yea they are "sleepers" according to this company

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    yea they are "sleepers" according to this company

What I meant is that a V8 Miata doesn't need the element of surprise "sleeper" to win races. Monster Miatas are Fords & the term "sleeper" was used as their sales slogan. Originally, they were Ford 5.0's w/ 7.5" rear ends. Many LSX based Miatas are head/cammed LSX engines w/Ford 8.8" rear ends.

It's all good; I knew what you meant by sleeper. Was trying to point out that currently, the people building V8 Miatas generally do so for track racing, & not usually for the "sleeper" aspect. The Monster "sleeper" concept was the original version (Ford based) designed & built to challenge Corvettes of its' time.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450 View Post
    All of the above......twisted frame, weight ratio, RX7 rear end are incorrect. Miatas containing V8 engines are built by people whom understand how to set a car up. They have sub-frames &/or bracing, coil overs, big brakes, about a 47/53 or 45/55 weight ratio, GM or Ford tansmissions (usually) & either GM or Ford rear ends (usually) + several other features in their design. The worst thing one can do w/ a V8 Miata is to degrade it by taking it to an AutoX course . V8 Miatas are great fun for street, oval track, & road course racing. As the video shows, they are also good on the fag cone courses. The only thing that a V8 Miata isn't is a drag racer.
    When SP tuners put the intercooled sequential twin turbochargers that help the 3.0-liter twin-cam 24-valve EFI in-line 6-cylinder engine produce 320 hp @ 5,600 rpm.(known as the 2jzgte) Into a Third gen Rx-7 they used the stock rear end. When I put a Ford 5.0 in a friends 89 Rx-7 it used the Rx-7 rear stock end. When Performance Factory Tuners, put a third gen rotary in TT into a Miata (they used the donor rear end of that Rx-7) which they got the motor from. I don't know where you received your info from. If you have a link please post it, because I was under the influence that the Rx-7 is a pretty strong rear end, and could take lots of stress..Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
    When SP tuners put the intercooled sequential twin turbochargers that help the 3.0-liter twin-cam 24-valve EFI in-line 6-cylinder engine produce 320 hp @ 5,600 rpm.(known as the 2jzgte) Into a Third gen Rx-7 they used the stock rear end. When I put a Ford 5.0 in a friends 89 Rx-7 it used the Rx-7 rear stock end. When Performance Factory Tuners, put a third gen rotary in TT into a Miata (they used the donor rear end of that Rx-7) which they got the motor from. I don't know where you received your info from. If you have a link please post it, because I was under the influence that the Rx-7 is a pretty strong rear end, and could take lots of stress..Thanks

My information is experience, stated earlier in this thread that I own an LS6 Miata w/ more power & torque than the swaps you describe. Personally, would chose the Ford 8.8 rear end over any other. Would agree that an RX-7 rear end could hold up to the power levels you have described. Am also not questioning any Rx-7 part or any RX-7 based engine swap. I respect any & all whom go through the learning process & hard work that it takes to build any conversion. The information provided here is from what myself & others, whom have built, race, &/or are building high powered/torqued V8 Miatas, have done.

Links: Good information can be found & Miata.net, although beware it's 90% confrontation & 10% information, which is why I chose to speak directly w/people that I've met there & on other boards instead of in the Miata.net forum. Some of those guys also frequent LS1Tech (conversions & hybrids). They may also spend time here, but, I don't recall speaking w/ any of them on this board. Panasche & Diamond motor sports are two professional sources & builders. Panasche is Ford based; they use the Ford 7.5 rear end & Diamond is LSX based w/ a Ford 8.8 rear end. Hope this helps.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450 View Post
    My information is experience, stated earlier in this thread that I own an LS6 Miata w/ more power & torque than the swaps you describe. Personally, would chose the Ford 8.8 rear end over any other. Would agree that an RX-7 rear end could hold up to the power levels you have described. Am also not questioning any Rx-7 part or any RX-7 based engine swap. I respect any & all whom go through the learning process & hard work that it takes to build any conversion. The information provided here is from what myself & others, whom have built, race, &/or are building high powered/torqued V8 Miatas, have done.

Links: Good information can be found & Miata.net, although beware it's 90% confrontation & 10% information, which is why I chose to speak directly w/people that I've met there & on other boards instead of in the Miata.net forum. Some of those guys also frequent LS1Tech (conversions & hybrids). They may also spend time here, but, I don't recall speaking w/ any of them on this board. Panasche & Diamond motor sports are two professional sources & builders. Panasche is Ford based; they use the Ford 7.5 rear end & Diamond is LSX based w/ a Ford 8.8 rear end. Hope this helps.
    Awesome! Thanks for you info man. Has anybody tried a LC2 motor, or a 3.8??

Black
    BMW E39 540I 6 spd 4.4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
    I was under the influence that the Rx-7 is a pretty strong rear end, and could take lots of stress..Thanks
    Depends on what model/year RX-7 you are talking about. The FD RX-7 Torsen diff is relatively strong and adequate for a car that doesn't make very much torque, but I have personally seen the stock FD diff gives up on power levels that range from catback/intake w/DRs to ~380RWHP single turbo models. For most FD owners, when (not if) the stock diff goes to heaven, they commonly replace it with a 88-89 FC RX-7 Turbo-II diff, which is far stronger than the FD one. Its the only part on the car where mazda went backwards from the previous generation.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
    Depends on what model/year RX-7 you are talking about. The FD RX-7 Torsen diff is relatively strong and adequate for a car that doesn't make very much torque, but I have personally seen the stock FD diff gives up on power levels that range from catback/intake w/DRs to ~380RWHP single turbo models. For most FD owners, when (not if) the stock diff goes to heaven, they commonly replace it with a 88-89 FC RX-7 Turbo-II diff, which is far stronger than the FD one. Its the only part on the car where mazda went backwards from the previous generation.
    I am talking about both. The FC, and FD rear ends. I don't know if you notice, but the FC rear end was from production year 85 to 91! Maybe you knew. I wanted to ask you as well my friend when that stock (FD diff gives up on power levels that range from catback/intake w/DRs to ~380RWHP single turbo models.) Was that the only one you have ever seen ? I know that the rear end on the FD will die before a FC, but that could of been to neglecting the personal maint on the FD! When SP tuners did the 2jzgte in the FD body they used the same rear-end and only changed the u-joints and diff fluid, and were able to get 500 rwhp before the FD rear end broke. Anyways it's all good in fun. Here's a link on the FC for production years.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-7

lookin for a ws6

There is a LS1 RX- 7 for sale over at www.ffcobra.com under the classifieds section. I think the asking price is 23K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information