Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Differences between the f-body years

Some info posted a while back. Very useful info thanks to third_shift studios.

Thanks for the info Jaison

1998 F-Body

1. Had different casting heads which had perimeter bolts and valve covers.
    2. Ignition coils were mounted to the valve covers one at a time.
    3. The water temp gauge actually works.
    4. 98's do have an oil life monitor, they just don't tell you anything when its time for a change. You can find it in Auto-Tap
    5. WS6s had single outlet exhaust (all others had duals)
    6. Steering wheel controls were completely different part with indentations on the buttons, and were better built
    7. Only year that Purple, Gold, and Green were available
    8. Some very early Trans Ams came with LT1 style headrests
    9. Rear hatch release was poorly designed and often caused problems releasing mechanism
    10. Early model 98 Monsoon stereos didn't have capability to control 12-disc CD changer
    11. 1998-1999 automatic transmission LS1s could be started in 1st gear even with the shifter in 2nd. Starting 2000, if you put the shifter in 2, it would start off in 2, even from a stop.
    12. 1998-1999 LS1 cars had a smaller throttle body cam, which caused the throttle to open to WOT (wide open throttle) faster than 2000+ cars
    13. 1998 cars had 28 lb fuel injectors from the factory
    14. 1998-2000 cars had a larger cam than the 01-02 cars
    15. 1998-1999 cars had more restrictive exhaust manifolds
    16. 1998-2000 cars had an LS1 intake with EGR
    17. 1998 and some early 1999 cars had blue outside rear view mirrors (Trans Am only)
    18. 1998 only LS1 blocks had a much smaller cylinder sleeve that only tolerated a .005" hone
    19. Last year F-body to use the old 15.5 gallon steel fuel tank.
    20. Only year LS1 F-body to contain a gas cap with a tether long enough to actually hang from the fuel door while open
    21. Only year LS1 F-body to not contain the famous GM black box used in the event of an accident to record up to 5 seconds of pre-crash data
    22. 1998 only cars had a different PCV system with the PCV valve located above the passenger side valve cover
    23. 1998 most cars did not have an idle adjustment screw on the throttle body. Some 98 cars do have the idle throttle stop set screws.
    24. 1998 cars have a completely different PCM from 99+ cars
    25. A production shortage of F-body cams caused the use of a C5 cam to be installed in F-body LS1s for a very short time
    26. 97-98 LS1's used a paper water pump gasket. The only gasket that isn't reuseable
    27. SSs did not ALL go to SLP starting in 98. Y2Y was the RPO code that sent them to SLP for additional options
    28. SS option did not "include" the Synthetic oil package, it was a SLP only Option

1999 F-Body

1. 1999-2000 cars switched to 26 lb fuel injectors
    2. Cylinder heads and valve covers redesigned to have center bolts instead of perimeter bolts. Other than that, the heads were the same.
    3. Redesigned cylinder sleeves that allowed for a small bore, up from .005" in 1998 models.
    4. Midyear model change to a cheaper steering wheel audio control button without finger indentations, and cheaper built
    5. 1999 cars continued the LS1 intake with EGR provisions
    6. 1999 cars continued more restrictive exhaust manifolds and larger cam
    7. Only year that Hugger Orange was available (Camaro only)
    8. 30th Anniversary Trans Am available with special blue and white paint package and blue clear coated WS6 wheels
    9. Switch to larger 16.8 gallon plastic fuel tank to meet new emissions requirements.
    10. Gascap tether was shorter and could no longer be used to hang on the gas door when open.
    11. Company wide change added black boxes to record up to 5 seconds of data before a crash
    12. Rear hatch release was redesigned with stiffer spring that released the hatch better
    13. Water temp gauge was redesigned to work basically as a dummy gauge and only show an overheat condition.
    14. An oil life monitor was added to all LS1s, thus changing the gauge cluster a little to show the oil life reset swtich
    15. 1999-02 cars had a different PCV system with the valve located to the side of the intake manifold
    16. Early production 1999 Trans Ams still had the blue outside mirrors, but a midyear change went to the non-tinted ones
    17. 1999 there was the color "Medium Blue Metallic" which was available on both the Camaros and Firebirds. Only one year of that color

2000 F-Body

1. Redesigned exhaust manifolds for new emissions standard actually flowed better and created a little more HP.
    2. 2000 continued use of LS1 Intake, EGR, smaller cam, and 26 lb fuel injectors
    3. Added rear child seat safety hooks to interior per federal requirements
    4. Very early run of WS6s had "salad shooter" style rims. A production change switched back to standard 5-spoke WS6 rims.
    5. Camaros got redesigned 10-spoke base rims, and SSs came with new 10-spoke rim design
    6. First year of Monterey Maple Metallic paint
    7. Charcoal (grayish) interior was replaced with Ebony (almost black) leather interior
    8. Cloth interior cars got new rainbow colored cloth patterns
    9. Camaros only got the Pontiac steering wheel with optional audio controls
    10. Throttle body cam was increased in size to slow the speed at which the car reaches WOT
    11. Automatic transmission cars were reprogrammed to allow a car to start off in 2nd gear from a stop when the shift lever is put into 2.
    12. The last year a WS6 Formula was offered
    13. Starting 2000 intake lids contained a seperate breather filter
    14. 2000+ Camaros came with body colored mirrors instead of black ones like 98-99

2001 F-Body

1. A small percentage of 2001 and 2002 LS1s actually had LS6 blocks which had a different part number and a darker metal cast
    2. Starting 2001, all LS1s came with an LS6 intake manifold without an EGR system
    3. Advertised HP output was changed from 305 to 310 on base LS1s and from 320 to 325 on WS6s and SSs
    4. 2001-02 cars have a smaller cam from the Vortec truck engines to increase low end torque
    5. 2001-02 cars had 28 lb fuel injectors like the 98 cars (albeit different part numbers)
    6. WS6 cars had a redesigned 5 spoke rim which was more wavy
    7. WS6 cars got less suspension upgrades from a base Trans Am suspension than previous years
    8. Manual transmission cars all came with the Z06 clutch

2002 F-Body
    1. 35th Annivesary edition of the Camaro, and Collectors Edition Trans Am available
    2. 2002 LS1 head gaskets redesigned. The new ones are a pressed metal, as opposed to the graphite ones and are no longer specific to the side of the car theyre installed on
    3. 2002 cars continued with the LS6 intake, 28 lb fuel inectors and smaller truck cam
    4. 2002 continued the use of an LS6 block in some LS1 F-bodies
    5. A factory supported optional 345 HP option could be ordered from SLP
    6. Manual transmission cars continued use of the Z06 clutch
    7. Some 2002 model F-bodies came with a revised rear view mirror that had the map light buttons on the bottom, rather than the front.

pewter
    '01 Z28

a little food for thought is always good.
    procharged,twin intercoolers,added fuel pump,larger injectors,kooks LTH+cats,slp loud mouth,strano springs/ koni shocks,ultraZ hood, spec stage 3+ clutch with flywheel, 130 LBS of weight reduction, swaybars, strut tower brace,3pt, sfc"yeah that's right"

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

Question

You say some 2002 models came with a revised rear view mirror with map light buttons on the bottom, I have a 2001 ss which has this optional mirror...

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ssbandit158 View Post
    You say some 2002 models came with a revised rear view mirror with map light buttons on the bottom, I have a 2001 ss which has this optional mirror...
    mee 2!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I've also had 2 2001 Camaros, one was a V6 and the other a SS, both with the optional mirror.

Black
    2001 Camaro ss

..great post Phoenix, altough the external differences are not easy to spot for the most part it's good to know the internal ones..I've got an 01 SS 6 speed (bought new in01) all original with low kliks...and the midrange power sure feels like a lot more than the advertized horsepower..possibly due to the ls6 intake, the 28mm. injectors, and the heavy duty clutch, I will investigate to see if indeed I have the ls6 block..but regardless dollar for dollar this camaro is the best bang for the buck..have had 3 good drags on the street against WS6 , GT stang and a 95 supercharged camaro LT1..and so far undefeated..so who knows I may have lucked out with my 01..thanks for the input..George

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by George141 View Post
    ..great post Phoenix, altough the external differences are not easy to spot for the most part it's good to know the internal ones..I've got an 01 SS 6 speed (bought new in01) all original with low kliks...and the midrange power sure feels like a lot more than the advertized horsepower..possibly due to the ls6 intake, the 28mm. injectors, and the heavy duty clutch, I will investigate to see if indeed I have the ls6 block..but regardless dollar for dollar this camaro is the best bang for the buck..have had 3 good drags on the street against WS6 , GT stang and a 95 supercharged camaro LT1..and so far undefeated..so who knows I may have lucked out with my 01..thanks for the input..George
    phoenix.......what is the difference in the LS6 block vs the LS1 block....any advantages??

niterydr

2002 Camaro SS M6
    1995 Z/28 vert A4

White 01 SS Camaro
    Black 01 SS Camaro

Zo6 Block

Is there a way I can find out if mine has the Z06 Block ? Any pics

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

There is a casting number on the back of the block just below the driver side cylinder head.

LS6 block is #12561168

Its a very hard cast # to see though. Much easier to see if the tranny is out. No major advantages to having the LS6 block either.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    There is a casting number on the back of the block just below the driver side cylinder head.

LS6 block is #12561168

Its a very hard cast # to see though. Much easier to see if the tranny is out. No major advantages to having the LS6 block either.
    Thanks for the info.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Thanks for the post phoenix, iv learned alot off this.

Red
    1998 camaro z28

c5 cam in 98 camaro

How would you know if yours has the c5 cam? Would there be any diference?
    Thanks.

Electron Blue
    2002 EB Z06

Maybe you can answer this question for me, and please forgive me if you've heard this or put this info out before, but i'm new to the f-body side and i love it, but what makes these so called "factory freaks" put out so much more rwhp than others? I've never dynoed mine, A4 2001 Z28, 65K miles, but it just seems to smash on just about everyone I meet. Just a few weeks ago I walked fairly easily against an M6, 99 SS with 3:73's and an slp intake and slp longtubes? Just curious to pick some brains, thanks in advance to anyone's replies.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by nomorefords View Post
    Maybe you can answer this question for me, and please forgive me if you've heard this or put this info out before, but i'm new to the f-body side and i love it, but what makes these so called "factory freaks" put out so much more rwhp than others? I've never dynoed mine, A4 2001 Z28, 65K miles, but it just seems to smash on just about everyone I meet. Just a few weeks ago I walked fairly easily against an M6, 99 SS with 3:73's and an slp intake and slp longtubes? Just curious to pick some brains, thanks in advance to anyone's replies.
    I am assuming your car is strictly stock....some cars make alot more hp than others because of several different reasons that happen on the assembly line, sometimes the exhaust ports are cleaner on one vs the other, intake passages cleaner, less restrictive exhaust, etc. however if you walked a 99 SS M6 with those mods and 3.73 gears, this guy must can't drive worth a d#*m or he has one sick machine. I have an M6 SS with 3.73 gears, y-pipe, flowmaster exhaust, and Slp intake and I have an A4 Z28 with cold air induction, computer chip, 3.42 gears and free flowing exhaust. I love both cars and both are fast but my A4 Z28 can't touch my M6 SS. You must have one hell of a Z28. Better keep that baby!!!!

Electron Blue
    2002 EB Z06

That's kinda what i figured, but with all talk about different blocks and intakes on the different years i wasn't sure if luck of the draw would leave with an "aftermarker" stock vehicle right off the build line. thanks for the reply, and i know it's surprises me too that old black betty has that much get up, later

Black
    2002 Camaro

LS6 block is #12561168

Actually I am sorry to say your wrong but the LS6 Block has a few major advantages over the LS1 Block. A few are that the LS6 block has better breithing between the rod/crank webbing which has proven to be up to a 30 horse advantage due to decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing. (thats not an exhageration either, I belive either GM High tech or Super Chevy did an article on the block difference a year or so ago.) Also the LS6 casting was a alltogether a stronger casting made of a better aluminum alloy.
    The horsepower difference between the motors is mainly due to this difference and that is why some completely stock F-Bodies can smash other completely stock F-Bodies

Hope this helps someone!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

LS6 block is #12561168

can u see it with a mirror ???

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris View Post
    Actually I am sorry to say your wrong but the LS6 Block has a few major advantages over the LS1 Block. A few are that the LS6 block has better breithing between the rod/crank webbing which has proven to be up to a 30 horse advantage due to decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing. (thats not an exhageration either, I belive either GM High tech or Super Chevy did an article on the block difference a year or so ago.) Also the LS6 casting was a alltogether a stronger casting made of a better aluminum alloy.
    The horsepower difference between the motors is mainly due to this difference and that is why some completely stock F-Bodies can smash other completely stock F-Bodies

Hope this helps someone!

post a pic where I need to look please

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFan View Post
    can u see it with a mirror ???
    There was an article in a Camaro Performers mag a few years back on this subject. They said you could use a mirror to see the cast # but its difficult. I have never checked one myself so can't really say how difficult it is with a mirror.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris View Post

Hope this helps someone!
    Fall 2003 issue of Camaro Performers reported that the LS6 block does have 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block and it is also a stronger block. While this might provide a few more horses, it doesn't provide 30 more HP. The LS6 heads & cam are the big reason for higher HP from the LS6 as opposed to more ventilation providing the HP difference. 15% of '01 fbods and 25% of fbods received the LS6 block.

Thread Information