Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    97lt1ss

auto or manual???

i am currently looking into buying a 97 ss and both of my friends have ss ls1 car-drews hugger 99 and samss's 01- i would love to put them to shame with an lt1 car- what would be faster auto or manual???? no mods... i have heard stock to stock-- manuals have always seemed to be 2-3 tenths faster
    Last edited by 97lt1ss; 09-11-2005 at 05:02 PM.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

M6 are more fun to drive and they can get out of the hole a little better, but A4 will run more consistant times at the track. Depends on your style, but you can make a A4 just as quick with a couple of mods for the tranny. Both of your buddies are on my other forum that im on, drews SS is beautiful. Lucky person must be nice to have a hugger orange.

deception05
    depends on if you want you car for street or drag. They have things that can make a A4 just as quick if not faster than the M6. Programming your shift points also work but if you want to be like a M6 with an auto look for a bigger stall converter than stock

97lt1ss
    i have always been a stick man-from my 67 nova to my 73 bug- i guess i am goin to have to go with the m6.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deception05
    depends on if you want you car for street or drag. They have things that can make a A4 just as quick if not faster than the M6. Programming your shift points also work but if you want to be like a M6 with an auto look for a bigger stall converter than stock
    he said stock for stock. which is faster. that means no stall no program. hands down a M6 is faster if you know what your doin.

deception05
    Quote Originally Posted by bww3588
    he said stock for stock. which is faster. that means no stall no program. hands down a M6 is faster if you know what your doin.
    that is an easy one the M6 just has more control over the car when to shift, how hard they are going to shift but again like you said if they know what they are doing.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deception05
    that is an easy one the M6 just has more control over the car when to shift, how hard they are going to shift but again like you said if they know what they are doing.
    i guess it all depends on what kind of racing your going to do with it. if your gonna be the weekend bracket racer or friday night stripper and drive it to and from the track then a stick would be more fun. downshiftin to 3rd and blowin by people on the interstate. but if your gonna be strictly racing it at the track then an automatic will get you better times. but overall a stick will get you a better time and speed if you hit all your shift points. and you get bragging rights when you beat someone that has the same car as you only an anutomatic.

white
    95 Z28

stick, if you're good enough

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

If you take the driver out of the equation and the rear gear ratios are the same on both cars. The M6 has a numerical advantage over the A4, simple.

So if you learn how to shift, come off the line, etc............ M6 is faster

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

This is a repeat, but it's the exact same thing I researched and was told

A4 = Stop-Go racing (ex: drag strip & stoplight racing), and driving comfortably with an extra hand for music, cigg, w/e
    M6 = Racing while already moving (ex: highway), taking control of difficult turns, and loving to shift your car to your wants

If you want to go for both, but spend some money, go get yourself a tech-tronic. I've heard they've been showing up a lot lately on people who race with money, since you can choose for auto or m6.

black
    2000 camaro ss+ 1987 GN

Having owned a 69 Z-28+ and a few others from that time I have to say the 6 speed in my 2000 SS is crap, compared to the older cars the weak point is the hydraulices used to shift the 6 speed. I do know how to shift but anyone under 30 stick with the auto.

2006 TrailBlazer SS

I have a M6 in my formula....I love it....Automatics are boring.
    With the manual trans you feel like you are driving not just sitting there hitting the gas and brake trying to keep the car stright....Plus the sound from the exhaust is awsome when your rolling to a stop in gear....Get the 6 speed
    Last edited by fredg369; 10-14-2005 at 07:11 PM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I prefer the M6.

Midnight blue
    1999 z28

I have an a4 and its never let me down...my cousin has the same car as me (just mine is a slightly more modded...lol.......in a drag ill smash on him.... but on a role he'lll pull on me..... i guess its the gear ratios....

TheSilverDragon
    Quote Originally Posted by rug
    Having owned a 69 Z-28+ and a few others from that time I have to say the 6 speed in my 2000 SS is crap, compared to the older cars the weak point is the hydraulices used to shift the 6 speed. I do know how to shift but anyone under 30 stick with the auto.
    dude, i'm only 20 and i own with my m6 02 SS. its not age that matters, its how quickly you can learn.
    go with the m6. its more fun and in my opinion will be faster once you know how to use it right.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I prefer stick. With this kind of car I think it will help with re-sale also.

kodiak
    Auto or Manual LS1 hands down over a LT1 !!!!

2000 ss silver bullet volksmech1's Avatar

silver
    2000 camaro ss

gotta have the manual. it adds so much fun to the driving expierience. and sorry man i love my ls1.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

manual is fun, wow this is an old thread
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

jkksxy1
    I had a 6spd in my 96 z28 and my 01 is a auto,and to be honest know matter what tranny my LT1 had a stock LS1 would walk all over it, on my LS1 i like my auto but my buddy has a TA 6spd and I like that tranny to, but it all depends on what kind of racing your doing, on slicks there both going to launch good of the line with streets the 6spd would probably have the edge.

Thread Information