Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

why do i keep blowing fuses?

i'm trying to hook up a mtx amp to the 8's i installed a while back. the problem is this. last night the amp would come on. i tried hooking them to the subs, then they wouldn't play. then the amp just started blowing fuses. i have the wires run down the passenger side.

the battery wire goes across the motor to the battery auxillary post. is that not a good place for it? it seemed the most logical to me. then i had found one of my rca wires had got punctured by a screw that holds the side trim down, fixed the problem, even unhooked the rca's from the amp. and with the ground, remote, and batt wire, it's still blowing fuses.. WTF?

the ground wire is attached to the top of the wheel well. i've used a test light, and it's getting power, and i'm not finding any other holes or anything in any of the other wires.

so why do i keep blowing fuses? is it because the wires are run along the passenger side? should they be run down the middle? i just don't get why the amp was powering up last night, but now it's just popping fuses.

thanks.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. The fuses are blowing because of way to much current. What size fuse are you using? If it is too small, it will pop. you also want to retrace all wires and make sure there is nothing interfering with them.

black
    02 z28

doesn't really matter what side of the car you run the wires down. check for a short, loose wire, bad ground, or you may just need a bigger fuse (in line fuse).

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

everything was hooked up good. nothing loose. etc... when i put a 40 fuse on the power wire instead of the 30 the fuse on the amp blew. i just don't get it.

black
    2002 WS6

That would be a dead short, somwhere in the sytem there is a wire that going straight to ground, trace all wire from the battery to the amp, then the speakers. Your amp may have also shorted on the inside as well.

Thread Information