Zak

Question Pilot bushing Bearing Removal need suggestions

I just recently removed t-56 trans out of my 00 SS for LS7 clutch upgrade. I'm having one hell of a time with the pilot bearing bushing removal. I don't have a removal tool. Hanes suggests filling the hole in back of the bearing with heavy grease and either find a close fitting socket with extension or wood dowel as close fitting to the inside diameter of the bearing. Place the the dowel or socket inside the bearing and beat on it with a BFH. The grease acts like hydraulic pressure on the bearing forcing it out??? Well, That f%^kn bearing got real hot, hot enough to turn the end of the input shaft blue! That Aluminum bell housing seemed welded to the guide pins on the block. Talk about a fried clutch.........nothing but steel rivets grinding into the pressure plate and flywheel. When I burn a stock clutch I burn a stock Clutch! yeah I know Need advice on removal methods any best ways to remove this Bitch with a capital C! Thanks

pewter
    99 camaro ss

I had the same problem!! but I hate to say it you do need the tool to remove it.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I just recently removed t-56 trans out of my 00 SS for LS7 clutch upgrade. I'm having one hell of a time with the pilot bearing bushing removal. I don't have a removal tool. Hanes suggests filling the hole in back of the bearing with heavy grease and either find a close fitting socket with extension or wood dowel as close fitting to the inside diameter of the bearing. Place the the dowel or socket inside the bearing and beat on it with a BFH. The grease acts like hydraulic pressure on the bearing forcing it out??? Well, That f%^kn bearing got real hot, hot enough to turn the end of the input shaft blue! That Aluminum bell housing seemed welded to the guide pins on the block. Talk about a fried clutch.........nothing but steel rivets grinding into the pressure plate and flywheel. When I burn a stock clutch I burn a stock Clutch! yeah I know Need advice on removal methods any best ways to remove this Bitch with a capital C! Thanks
    If the Hanes method didn't work you will need the tool. If you have a good cold chisel set you can break it and then remove it but the tools are not expensive so I would strongly recommend that you get one.

black
    99 Vett

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I guess this would be a good time to make my 1st post on ls1.com.
    I really don’t think you want to do the “Hanes method” The ls1 has a Welch plug in the back of the crank where the pilot bearing goes and if you start trying to push out the frozen pilot bearing using the hydraulic force created by packing the bearing with grease and inserting some sort of piston like object you will more then likely damage the Welch plug before pushing out the bearing which will result in a BIG oil leak. I had the same problem when I installed a LS7 clutch (frozen in pilot bearing) and I had a pilot bearing remover, albeit a shity one ant that. Took me about 6 hours of pounding with the slide hammer type puller, modifying the dumb ass thing numerous times, multiple trips to the hardware store, est., est., est. Before I finally got that P.O.S. out.
    Do yourself a favor and check around and see if someone rents a pilot bearing puller. If they only have the slide hammer type make sure it has 4 jaws as the 2 jaw type will just keep slipping out of the bearing. Snap On makes a really nice one that works kind of like a gear puller. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

go to autozone, they rent out a pilot bearing removal tool. It will save you a lot of grief in the end. Well actually, i think you already found the grief

Black
    99 camaro

I had the same problem when I replaced my clutch. I tryed the tools from autozone and pepboy's, neither place worked. I had to get the tool from a tool truck like Snap-on, that was the only way I could get it out. Just my .02 cents

Zak

Unhappy All burnt up!

[QUOTE=Dave D;359865]I guess this would be a good time to make my 1st post on ls1.com.
    I really don’t think you want to do the “Hanes method” The ls1 has a Welch plug in the back of the crank where the pilot bearing goes and if you start trying to push out the frozen pilot bearing using the hydraulic force created by packing the bearing with grease and inserting some sort of piston like object you will more then likely damage the Welch plug before pushing out the bearing which will result in a BIG oil leak.

I did get the pilot bearing out with small sharp cold chisels and a metal cutting jigsaw. Also installed the LS7 clutch Kit new master Cylinder with drill mod and new slave. Only to have my garage burn to the ground with the 00 SS Camaro inside on jackstands, not to mention two other vehicles and tens of thousands $$$ in tool and equipment loss on 02 Aug. This really sucks, hope I can find another some day.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

NAPA or AutoZone will rent you the tool.

Thread Information