Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1516171819

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 98ramairguy View Post
    What amount of Hp will the 2.5" suppor?. Im never gonna have 1200 to justify the Kooks.
    Not sure. Does the Bassani come with a lifetime warranty? Kooks does. Also if the Bassani has a 2.5" inlet it isn't going to work with headers with a 3" outlet without an adapter. These are just some things to think about especially if you already have headers as well if you don't since it will determine what you get.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

With a real dual exhaust system, unless you are building 500+ cubic inches and making big HP, a 2 1/2" system will do you just fine. 3" is overkill for anything less. We are talking street cars here that see a little track use for fun.

01 SS

^^ truth....

Kooks headers and TD's here. PITA install, but I (we) had to negotiate around a FAB9, fit issues at the inner fender and system length (too long) - ended up cutting 1-1/2" off to fit the "right way".

Sounds incredible though....

Maroon
    2002 Z28

Camaro exhaust w Y pipe.pdfI am going probably a different route than anyone has. My aftercat system will be very simple. I am taking one used stock Y pipe as a donor and simply dumping the exhaust out the sides of the car under the doors. No mufflers = good ground clearance and it is not that loud going through the stock cats. Should have it completed in about 2 weeks if any of you want actual pictures. This is the cheapest way to do a low restriction catback......IMO. If you can weld and find a Y pipe for free it gets real cheap, haha. I am fabricating a support for the driver's side pipe, an extension of the support that is on the passenger side. The attached drawing was my first idea, which as I go along gets modified a little as I go.....

Don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds like something you would do to a pickup truck

As cheap as a simple 3" catback is nowadays, and as easy as they are to bolt on, I'm not sure why people resort to unorthadox methods.

If you can get away with that in Canada then give it a shot. Around here that would attract too much attention with the noise police, and if the exit of the pipes isn't placed behind the passenger compartment of the car, that's another ticket. It has to at least reach the rear axle.

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    ^^ truth....

Kooks headers and TD's here. PITA install, but I (we) had to negotiate around a FAB9, fit issues at the inner fender and system length (too long) - ended up cutting 1-1/2" off to fit the "right way".

Sounds incredible though....

That is a loud setup for sure, there is a fellow running around here with this setup and it's a cop magnet. Those bullet mufflers don't deaden much noise, you can't even sneak around with it. I run a 4" mufflex on my wifes car and it's the same way, with a Magnaflow on it even. It gets compliments all the time on the sound every where you take it, but frankly I'm sick of it and my wife just down right hates it now. Sometimes I think she enjoys the attention once in a while though but you can't even be quiet when you want to be with that thing. I can hear her coming home from work when she's still a 1/2 mile from the house, and I'm inside the house! The guys at work know when she is rounding the corner before she gets in the lot
    Okay for a weekend fun car, my chevelle is loud but it's not driven much so it's not a concern. But my wife driving hers daily has worn on her (and me).
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-07-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Maroon
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds like something you would do to a pickup truck

As cheap as a simple 3" catback is nowadays, and as easy as they are to bolt on, I'm not sure why people resort to unorthadox methods.

If you can get away with that in Canada then give it a shot. Around here that would attract too much attention with the noise police, and if the exit of the pipes isn't placed behind the passenger compartment of the car, that's another ticket. It has to at least reach the rear axle.
    I like trying things that others do not think of. I do not take any offense to what you said, as some of what you say is valid. I am not a kid anymore and it doesn't matter much to me what others think of what I do. To me this is a fun experiment to see first if there is a power gain to be had, and second to hear how it will sound.
    I have run the car minus muffler when switching to a single pipe exhaust and it sucked sound wise, bad drone at 2000rpm or so when going into the single pipe over the axle. I like to think of this as going back to what hot rodding was, fabricating the simplest way to do something without spending lots. Sure we have laws in Canada about exhaust....to keep ignorant people from hurting themselves, etc. I know to keep moving and not breathe in the exhaust....this is no worse than having to sit in traffic at a light with another car's exhaust just beside me pointing my way...
    In our town we do not get pulled over unless we are doing something wrong, drive sane and they leave you alone. I drove at one time a 'bad' looking and loud (louder than what I am doing here will be) Camaro with no front licence plate for 4 years here and never got pulled over. If for some reason I do get stopped and told to fix it, ( they will not be obvious unless a person looks under the car, I am not having them visible to the casual observer) no biggie I have all the regular exhaust ready to go back on.
    This is a post on going true duals and so posted what I am doing, I know it can be a bit of an eye opener, haha....at 59 as I said some may not like it and I am ok with that...I think some will like it too...it really doesn't matter to me.....I do not fit the mould that most would think of....Bible believing Camaro owner who does this to his car, This is part of the fun of being semi-retired. Hopefully this explains why someone would go to unorthodox methods even when catbacks are less expensive...mine beats them all in price and is less restrictive to boot when using the stock cats.
    Last edited by Forgiven; 04-07-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Maroon
    2002 Z28

I have not driven the car with it yet and hope it will be a bit quieter outside the garage...I would post pictures of the finished product, but....

There is something not right with the photo loader or I would add pictures....I mentioned this before but no one got back to me. I am unable to remove previous photos from your File Upload Manager, thus I can not add any more...I am at my photo limit. I have some computer skills and can not find any way in that loader to deal with this.....there is no remove photos action I can see anywhere....help.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you sign up for a photobucket account you can upload the photos there and copy the [img] link associated with that picture to the forum.

Maroon
    2002 Z28

OK, lets see if this works...

My 2002 Z28 Photos by Pentax007 | Photobucket

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Close, just post the link in the IMG box
    Here ya go

Fire
    2002 SS

tatertot91
    That looks like it could be a little loud!
    Maybe raise the passenger footwell floor to make undercar clearance for the muffler?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

True Dual exhaust read me. pics/and share your information.

not mine just posted the pics for the guy above me

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    tatertot91
    That looks like it could be a little loud!
    ?
    Lol, yep. The cats won't drown out that much noise, and it exits right under the passenger seats = fumes. Laws here prohibit that. But he said he could get away with it where he is

Maroon
    2002 Z28

Drove it for the first time and yes it is louder than I would like.....Raise the floor? Yeah right, what it comes down to is keeping it simple, and tucked in nicely....no room for mufflers doing that, haha. More noise than I wanted, but it is dual exhaust with what has to be the least restriction for the stock cats. Hope to make a trip to the track soon to see if it helps ET....The key to not being ticketed is to not hit the loud pedal in a lot of traffic, etc. Drive sensibly and for the most part the police ignore you. Fumes are not a problem really, I often am stopped at a light with other car exhaust pointing right at me with no problems......anyway this is what old fashioned hot rodding is like, make it yourself...

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1516171819

Thread Information