Hark_Z

94Z vs 99TA: NEED OPINIONS

Well this is kind of difficult because its me racing my best friend. He talks so much smack though about how crappy my LT1 is and how his LS1 is godly..

The race will be on the street, not the highway. It will most likely be a dig to about 80-90ish.

My current mods: intake,exhaust,3.73's,shift kit,tuning

his car: 99 TA M6, lid, smooth bellows,catback

I am very consistent with my a4 with launching; he is a good driver. I know that my car is definitely stronger in the first 2 gears and I should get at least a 1.5 car lead right away but I'm just nervous about it. My car comes out of the shop with a new shift kit on it soon so how will this work out?

Member Since Aug 2000 LS1 Eddie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hark_Z
    Well this is kind of difficult because its me racing my best friend. He talks so much smack though about how crappy my LT1 is and how his LS1 is godly..

The race will be on the street, not the highway. It will most likely be a dig to about 80-90ish.

My current mods: intake,exhaust,3.73's,shift kit,tuning

his car: 99 TA M6, lid, smooth bellows,catback
    Do you have a full exhaust? From a stop to about 80 or 90 you should be good. But after that you might end up with a drivers race. At the track I generally make LS1's play catch up untill after the 1/8th mile. Sometimes I get passed, other times I don't. If you want to beat him, don't race him 1/4 mile cause it will be tough, espically if you don't have headers. As far as LT1's being junk? Take a look at some of the heads/cam LT1's out there. Many of them put well over 400rwhp down at the wheels with lesser agressive packages. Tell your buddy he doesn't know his ass from his elbow if he thinks LT1's are junk. I love 4th generation f-bodies LT1 and LS1, but I wouldn't underestimate either of them.
    1995 Camaro Z-28
    Black/Neutral|A4 GU5
    Modifications:
    Borla, MAC Mid's, SLP Level 1 Suspension with Prokit, SLP STB, SLP CAI, 1LE Elbow,Phillips HID, Advanced Induction 180cc Heads/224 Cam,Built 355, Yank 3200

Hark_Z
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
    Do you have a full exhaust? From a stop to about 80 or 90 you should be good. But after that you might end up with a drivers race. At the track I generally make LS1's play catch up untill after the 1/8th mile. Sometimes I get passed, other times I don't. If you want to beat him, don't race him 1/4 mile cause it will be tough, espically if you don't have headers. As far as LT1's being junk? Take a look at some of the heads/cam LT1's out there. Many of them put well over 400rwhp down at the wheels with lesser agressive packages. Tell your buddy he doesn't know his ass from his elbow if he thinks LT1's are junk. I love 4th generation f-bodies LT1 and LS1, but I wouldn't underestimate either of them.
    Yeah my thoughts exactly. No I listed all the mods I will have. I normally have like 2-3 cars on bolt on LS1's by 60 but this race has my nerves goin. His car has no balls in first gear though I've experienced that much. I don't want to race long for obvious reasons! But I'm pretty confident I have the stronger car for the 1/8.

I am very consistent with my a4 with launching; he is a good driver. I know that my car is definitely stronger in the first 2 gears and I should get at least a 1.5 car lead right away but I'm just nervous about it. My car comes out of the shop with a new shift kit on it soon so how will this work out?
    Get yourself a stall, and be worried no more.

Hark_Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    Get yourself a stall, and be worried no more.
    Yeah I know I just cant afford one yet. Thats my next mod: Fuddle 3400/2.1. How badly will I smoke him with the stall in addition???

Yeah I know I just cant afford one yet. Thats my next mod: Fuddle 3400/2.1. How badly will I smoke him with the stall in addition???
    I honestly feel that you'll smoke him from out of the hole already (w/stall speed, you'll hand it to him even worse), but if you run from a roll though.... you'll definitely need that stall speed. The LT1 breathes just as good as the LS1, but you're tranny though (even with the shift kit), that's entirely a different story. Stock servo?

Hark_Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    I honestly feel that you'll smoke him from out of the hole already (w/stall speed, you'll hand it to him even worse), but if you run from a roll though.... you'll definitely need that stall speed. The LT1 breathes just as good as the LS1, but you're tranny though (even with the shift kit), that's entirely a different story. Stock servo?
    Yeah right now the 60E is gettin a rebuild shift kit and cooler put in. Unfortunately I couldnt afford the stall yet but I did want it badly. As soon as I scrap the money together It will be put on immediately. Shouldn't I be low
    13's?

Shouldn't I be low 13's?
    Sounds about right.

What you'll want to do (after the stall), and after you save up some more; get you're hands on a CC-306 cam, and port match you're heads and intake (if not done already). W/some additional tuning, and you'll be in the 11's, guaranteed!

Hark_Z
    Damn I need to do a sig..
    I already bought a H/C package. Yes before full bolt ons..it was a good deal!

basically it it fully built heads:
    Ferrea 6000 Valves 2.05/1.6 (284 cfm at .6)
    + custom grind Billet cam: 2.32/2.32 .567 lift, 108 LSA

So I have more power on the way, just gotta catch up with my other mods .

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

2-3 cars on bolt on Ls1's??
    Ls1's with what bolt on?
    Those 3.73's making that much of a difference???
    I raced Lt1 Z's and won by at least a car everytime with me being completly stock. Them being A4's with your same mods minus the 3.73's.
    What tuning you have done?

Hark_Z
    Just a pcm tune. my car is very easy to launch- just chirp the tires and my 1st gear pulls HARD. My car came stock with 2.73's so its a huge jump. Ya gotta think most LT1's stock keep with LS1's till at least 40ish..and LT1's bring their torque out faster in the powerband-3500ish compared to 4500ish. Do a gear swap to 3.73's and it makes a world of difference. Comparing the before and after with my gears to cars I've measured up before, I have pretty much gained 2-3 cars on them. It's very true. Unfortunately by 3rd gear my car loses its steam.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

. Unfortunately by 3rd gear my car loses its steam.
    And unfortunately races don't end in 3rd...and unfortuntely 3rd is where the LS1 begins to shine.

And besides the opti the LT1 is a great motor...and i'm a big fan of it just like the LS1. Why are you nervous if you put 3 cars on bolt-on LS1's in your miracle bolt-on LT1? You're nervous because you know it's BS....

Take a camcorder with you when you race him....cause I wanna see this.

Here's a link with a ls1 and lt1 both mild bolt-ons... http://video.ls1tech.com/video/D05CE...33D27B1F2D.htm

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

BTW...you might think twice about your friends car not having anything down low in 1st after you race. The pull just feels different in a LS1 but pulls just as hard if not harder...you'll see...the 3.73's will definatly help you though

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    And unfortunately races don't end in 3rd...and unfortuntely 3rd is where the LS1 begins to shine.

And besides the opti the LT1 is a great motor...and i'm a big fan of it just like the LS1. Why are you nervous if you put 3 cars on bolt-on LS1's in your miracle bolt-on LT1? You're nervous because you know it's BS....

Here's a link with a ls1 and lt1 both mild bolt-ons... http://video.ls1tech.com/video/D05CE...33D27B1F2D.htm
    Right, the Ls1 does begin to shine in 3rd.
    That 97 TA got ate
    I think this may be a drivers race. But be sure to get it on video or at least let us know how it went.

NBM
    '00 Z28

The only advantage you have over your buddy is the fact he's going to have to finess his car off the line and you just have to hit the gas. Racing in an auto is as easy as nailing a drunken prom date.

If he gets a good launch, you're done.

Hark_Z
    [QUOTE=SeVeReDiStOrTiOn]And unfortunately races don't end in 3rd...and unfortuntely 3rd is where the LS1 begins to shine.

Here's a link with a ls1 and lt1 both mild bolt-ons... http://video.ls1tech.com/video/D05CE...33D27B1F2D.htm[/QUOTE

Definitely never tried to make it sound like a miracle bolt on LT1. Fact is that my car launches well (I launch at about 1500) chirp the tires a little bit and my car pulls very hard thru the first gears. Sure 3 lengths is not typical, thats jjust givin that the LS1 driver doesnt launch very well. It seems you underestimate my car. I'm just so nervous because it's my friend.

BTW: me beating a CAI/exhaust LS1 0 to 80 with an LT1 with 3.73's, shift kit and bolt ons is very possible!

Hark_Z
    Plus my last post last night pretty much depicts my experiences acurately, no BS- take it or leave it, and sorry if I offended any LS1-owners..

Plus my last post last night pretty much depicts my experiences acurately, no BS- take it or leave it, and sorry if I offended any LS1-owners.
    Hark, nobody was offended.

Thread Information