Awaiting Activation

99Z28 vs. '96 cobra

So I'm cruising a couple nights ago down Archer Ave. in Chicago. Its usually covered with people looking to mess with you. So a mustang trying to catch up to me in traffic so i slow down and let him get near me. Then i realized it was '96 cobra and i knew those were pretty quick. 305hp 300tq. It had exhaust and it was loud as hell. It was sooo loud i was sure it was modded.

So then we get next to each other and from about a 35 roll (30mph zone) he looks over and we both hit it. I downshift to 2nd and was even until about 50 and then i was gone. We took it up to 80 and then i laid off. By then i had atleast 3-4 cars on him i was pleased.
    Then i slow down and he start pacing me again -- im like "i killed him he wants more?" well i wasnt going to deny him getting raped again by an LS1. So we do do another roll from about 40 this time with the same result -- he stays with me until about 50 and i just dust him. We did it one final time after that with the same result.

So at the next light he get in the turning lane next to me and we exchange info. His said his car was stock except for the exhuast but i don't know. My car was stock at the time except for FRA. ( all i have since was the SLP lid i added the other day) He was a pretty cool guy and gave me a thumbs up as he pulled away.

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

96 cobras are turds

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

an LS1 would easily kill a 96 Cobra from a 40 mph roll. Thats an obvious conclusion. Every one knows LS1's have a great power band, and are good to go at almost any RPM. Id be interested to see the race from a dig. Have you been to a track?

Awaiting Activation
    no haven't been to the track yet - but plan to soon

juiced00ss
    a stock 96 cobra MABY puts down 250ish to the wheels. The 96 through 98 stangs suck the big one. I hope your camaro whooped him. Cause if not then he had more under the hood. My buddie has a 98 cobra with a full exhaust and he is making 270 hp to the wheels.My cammed ls1 lays him out every time.

BLACK
    01 WS6

nice kill

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ZAPFOOL!!
    96 cobras are turds
    96 Cobra's with full bolt-ons and 4.10's are far from turds. Stock, they ain't much, but with full bolt-ons and gears they can be pretty nasty. A 98 Cobra, which is the same as the 96 pretty much, was right on my ass and could have went around the 01 Cobra I had, but I only had a Borla catback on it at the time. He had all the bolt-ons, and 4.10's in it.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

Stock a 96-97 has about 5-10hp less than a 98 due to changes to the intake bolts that free'd up some more flow in the intake. Instead of running through the intake, they moved them into the walls. I had a 97 that ran a 8.15 in the 1/8 with ET streets and all the bolt ons. It normally would pull 8.20's to 8.30's. I had 4:30's and launched at 5500 rpm. It 60ft 1.70's and that was the secret to getting good times. the 4.6 is a puss down low so gears help. They came stock with 3.27's, so if the car you raced didn't have gears you would have raped him. Those cars have potential, but have to be driven right, and geared well.

nice

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

hmmm im liking this thread a whole lot. theres a girl the next town over that drives her boyfriends cobra around. Im not sure what year it is, but i know it has a blower on it ( not sure if they come stock or not) and a nice sounding exhaust...every time we drive past eachother we rev at eachother. I've been dying to race her for like a month now. I found out where she works cause a buddy of mine works with her. I cant wait for this one.

NBM
    '00 Z28

I hope your not trying to charm an 03-04 snake. If you're stock, you'll regret it.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

If you can hook fast, and she spins you can run her up to 60 to 80 or so. If its even from the start I think you'll be on the recieving end. Do you have mods? That will play heavily in this race. Does the Cobra have mods besides the exhaust? Lets us know if you get any info, or get to run her. Maybe you can get here to join the otherside and lose that ford lover

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by PureSpeed
    hmmm im liking this thread a whole lot. theres a girl the next town over that drives her boyfriends cobra around. Im not sure what year it is, but i know it has a blower on it ( not sure if they come stock or not) and a nice sounding exhaust...every time we drive past eachother we rev at eachother. I've been dying to race her for like a month now. I found out where she works cause a buddy of mine works with her. I cant wait for this one.
    Only 03-04 Cobra's cam with a blower from the factory. If he has a 96-01 Cobra with a supercharger on it, there is a 90% chance it has gears. There is a good chance you will be seeing the ass end of that Cobra in a race if he has gears too. Sounds like he has a full exhaust also. You are in for a tough one if he can get it to hook. How big are the tires on the ass end? Do they look like at least 275/40's? If he has 245's or some sh*t, it will never hook.
    Last edited by Roastem; 05-05-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

shes got 245's mabey 255's..mine are far bigger...i have 275's

Thread Information