Thread: Helmets

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Helmets

I'm looking at helemts for track use. Last time out I got safety check because my daughter needs one to do ride along and because I'm a t-top car.

Is there really any difference between motorcycle and "race car"<(for lack of a better description) helmets?

If a helmet design for handling impacts from being thrown off a motorcycle shouldn't it be just as good when surrounded by a car?

I already know to look at the ratings for "toughness" I'm just wondering why a difference between the 2. Marketing?

The T-top rule seems to be randomly enforced. I think because the run prior I did 7.4 sec in an 1/8th on street tires. They have started enforcing rules that if you go above 90mph or get into the 10's the safety rules start coming into effect. I'm not against them enforcing them just it's the 1st time I've heard of a t top rule.

red
    95 Z28

I always wore simpson helmets when I raced. I tested one out thoroughly in my shifter kart days. Rolled at the end of a straight away at over 100mph.

All that being said, most helmets out there these days are good ones. Of particular importance to you will be a nomex inner liner. Even if you wear a nomex head sock, you still want a nomex liner. Beyond that, visibility, lightweight, and mounts for a HANS device are all critical.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the one I have is a simpson.....been happy with it the few times I've worn it. Going by my shitty memory the nhra sanctioned track here went by nhra rules which were all passengers had to have a helmet regardless of speed and drivers had to have one 13.99 or faster. I thought there was a speed limit for passengers too but I may be wrong on that....seems if you ran 13's you couldn't have a passenger. I say that because I remember being at a track rental where that came up but they let it slide for someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Helmets

I know SCCA rules concerning helmets required the Snell certification be something like within 5 years of the current regs. they update regulations every 5 years. for instance the helmet I use for autocross is SA2010, since the current regs are SA2015, my helmet will be ok with them until 2020 when the SA2020 certification comes out, at which point my helmet will be 'out' of certification and I'll be required to buy a new one.

long story short, if you Google the Snell ratings system, there are multiple classifications for helmets and their intended uses. They break it down into automobile, motorcycle, kart, etc. Each certification pertains to different helmets and as far as I know there aren't any that get multiple certificates. So to answer your question, yes, there's differences. What they are, though, beats me. I would sooner say if you want her safe in a car, buy a car helmet.

I only bought one so I could be in cahoots with the rules. Anything with a real cert is going to cost you, though. I bought an open face Zamp helmet around two years ago for about $90. Last I looked for a SA2015 helmet, I'm pretty sure I remember not finding any under $100.
    Last edited by Zapper2003; 02-08-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We started at the track wearing our Harley-Davidson helmets. Swapped out a few years back to a newer style helmet to stay within the track rules, but I believe it is a motorcycle helmet rather than once designed specifically for a car.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

motorcycle helmets are smaller because people that ride bikes have smaller brains than those of us that don't.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Which could be why the majority of motorcycle riders in our state do not wear helmets at all.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Which could be why the majority of motorcycle riders in our state do not wear helmets at all.
    Hospital workers call them Organ Donors.

Thread Information