Thread: y pipe

white
    2000 trans am

y pipe

i have pacesetter lth with there y-pipe. i wanted to sell it and get a texas speed, because everyone says that it has better flow and most inportant to me is it will not hit floor board on drivers side. i did already replace engine mounts and purchase the extra clamp for the y pipe with rubber hanger ( it didnt do it) so i wedage a piece of exhust hanger rubber between the y pipe and floor board it stop hitting because theres no gap but the vibration around 2nd to 3rd gear is anoying.
    so what im asking is why is the pace setter a hundred dollars more
    do you think it has better clearance
    and does anybody want to buy a ypipe

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've had both and currently have the TS&P y pipe.

I've made both work where they don't slap the floor pan without that clamp. After tweaking it and getting it just right I welded all the sections together. Once I did that no more slap. I think the vibrations over time loosen the pipes and allowed the pipe to flex and then start hitting the floor. Also IIRC the TS&P has a better bends and not a flat spot in one of the sections over the Pacesetter.

Regarding flow - only spot that I saw that had some restriction was where the y merged. On the Pacesetter it looked like they slid enough pipe in and then weld in place with remaining extra material still in the pipe, about an inch. That causes restriction. On the TS&P at the same spot the excess pipe wasn't there, thus allowing full flow of the exhaust.

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

I'm finishing up my Borla catback but was thinking of replacing that funky stock flat Y pipe. Have an 02 T/A and wondering if you had experience with the SLP replacement for the stock Y pipe (or any other Y pipe). I dont have headers. Any issues with install and clearance?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by joesurfer View Post
    I'm finishing up my Borla catback but was thinking of replacing that funky stock flat Y pipe. Have an 02 T/A and wondering if you had experience with the SLP replacement for the stock Y pipe (or any other Y pipe). I dont have headers. Any issues with install and clearance?
    I have the SLP Y-pipe installed on my 2002 convertible TA and have found it to work OK with some caveats. The SLP pipe will definitely flow better than the stock as it is a nice clean round tube all the way back to the exhaust pipe. However, because it is a larger diameter it likes to bump the drivers side floor board. I fixed this on mine with a Mufflex Y-Pipe Support Bracket which allows you to apply adjustable tension to the pipe just under the drivers floor. Very easy to install and adjust. The second problem on a convertible is the Y-pipe has to pass through the x-brace across your tunnel. The SLP Y-pipe will only fit if you put a large number of washers on the bolts to create additional space and even then it may not fit. I took my x-brace off entirely but I do have SFCs installed so I’m pretty comfortable that I have not lost any stiffness in the body. Hope this helps.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

thanks for that info, it's exactly what I was looking for. I ordered some SFC's so could get away with it as well. Was also thinking of lowering springs (in the future) so not sure how that would play out. If I did, I would only go 3/4" lower

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

The SLP y-pipe on mine is as tight to the floor as possible and it is the lowest point on the undercarriage. It sits about an additional inch to inch and a half below the level of the SFCs. Probably about 3/4 of an inch lower than the K-member up front. Just like with headers you will have to watch going over speed bumps. Make very sure all of your clamping bolts are turned to the side when you install them to minimize your clearance.

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

yeah, after thinking about this, and seeing the possible issues with clearance I'm holding off for now. The roads here on Long Island basically suck and I can see bottoming just about everywhere I go. If I do headers in the future, then that will change but I appreciate the info.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I'll be installing a 3" TSP Y pipe and am nervous of clearance since i'm lowered 1". I also am concerned with the Y merge, it does look smooth, however, it is still dual 3" merging into single 2.75" and then it will be going to a 3" intermediate pipe. I'm hoping it will flow well and not crackle/thrash in tone.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'm lowered and have almost 0 issues. Only every once and a while when I come across a speed bump that is higher then normal will I rub a little bit. As far as slapping the floor boards No issues since once I got the Y pipe in the position where I wanted it I tact weld in place then dropped it down and finished it. I only have 3 band clamps, 2 at the collectors and one just past the cut out pipe that connects to the rest of the exhaust running over the axle.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I've had both and currently have the TS&P y pipe.

I've made both work where they don't slap the floor pan without that clamp. After tweaking it and getting it just right I welded all the sections together. Once I did that no more slap. I think the vibrations over time loosen the pipes and allowed the pipe to flex and then start hitting the floor. Also IIRC the TS&P has a better bends and not a flat spot in one of the sections over the Pacesetter.

Regarding flow - only spot that I saw that had some restriction was where the y merged. On the Pacesetter it looked like they slid enough pipe in and then weld in place with remaining extra material still in the pipe, about an inch. That causes restriction. On the TS&P at the same spot the excess pipe wasn't there, thus allowing full flow of the exhaust.
    Hi Scott. I used Texas Speed long tube and y-pipe on mine. And I also welded them up.

Thread Information