Thread: 97 Dodge pickup

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

97 Dodge pickup

My step son just bought a 97 Dodge from a guy that said ithas transmission issues. But I'm not 100% sure it is the transmission. What's your opinion?

Starts easy, idles fine. When you give it gas the motor acts like it is under a major load. Park, neutral, drive it doesn't matter. It is similar to having one in drive and holding the brakes hard enough it wouldn't roll. Just got it and haven't messed with it much, looking for a place to start.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    My step son just bought a 97 Dodge from a guy that said ithas transmission issues. But I'm not 100% sure it is the transmission. What's your opinion?

Starts easy, idles fine. When you give it gas the motor acts like it is under a major load. Park, neutral, drive it doesn't matter. It is similar to having one in drive and holding the brakes hard enough it wouldn't roll. Just got it and haven't messed with it much, looking for a place to start.
    Dodge transmissions, for that time period, are not that sturdy, especially for light duty units. I don't remember if the RFE45's were used back then but the Dodge dealer I had worked at had a guy that could rebuild them with his eyes closed. Is it a Dakota or Ram full size?

Almost sounds like the torque converter might not be letting loose, or the valve body might have a problem.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We replaced a transmission solenoid pack in a friend's Dakota to cure its issues last year - only experience I have had with Dodge slushboxes. Not that bad a job really. Any codes?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Full size. Think it is a 46re.

He's got a similar truck with blown motor. Back when he was driving it we changed the transmission fluid and filter and found a pretty big piece of metal on the magnet. So I was nervous about that transmission. How can we tell if it is just the torque converter or in the transmission? I would rather just swap torque converter if we can.

I idle it is fine. But as you give it gas it pulls the motor down and shakes.
    Last edited by blackcar; 12-22-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Certainly sounds like a converter issue. Only other things I can think of are a serious lack of fuel pressure or a badly plugged up catalytic converter.

black
    2004 gto

97 Dodge pickup

If the torque converter has bolts and not studs holding it to the flywheel , take the bolts.out and slip the converter back a little bit and start it up . Just make sure the ring gear isn't a part of the converter , if it is you can't check it this way .

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Full size. Think it is a 46re.

He's got a similar truck with blown motor. Back when he was driving it we changed the transmission fluid and filter and found a pretty big piece of metal on the magnet. So I was nervous about that transmission. How can we tell if it is just the torque converter or in the transmission? I would rather just swap torque converter if we can.

I idle it is fine. But as you give it gas it pulls the motor down and shakes.
    If you have a big price of metal on the magnet, it went through several parts of the transmission before it ended up there, if the trucks a keeper, you might want a full rebuild of the tranny. Even if the converter is bad, and changing it makes the car move again, it might not be too long before another tranny part will fail, and sideline get truck again.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

The one that had the metal was the old truck he blew the motor in. We are using it for donor parts. I would rather just get the torque converter from the old truck, but also don't want to put it all back together and realize we didn't fix it and have to change whole transmission. If we do have to change transmission he will just have to take the risk and drive it until it gives out, as he doesn't have any money to spend on it. And I'm not bailing him out anymore. Helped him buy his first one and he beat like a dog. I'll advise him and help him get it done, but not giving/loaning anymore money. Maybe he will appreciate it more.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am of a mind that kids don't appreciate anything these days. And with this thought... I guess I am officially "old".

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am of a mind that kids don't appreciate anything these days. And with this thought... I guess I am officially "old".
    Appreciative, or not, I'd spend the diagnostic fee to get a good idea of what is really going on with this tranny.

Spending the time, money, and effort on a Tq converter is a waste if the tranny is going to, or already has, give(n) way.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If it does it in park sounds more like an engine issue. Have you checked to make sure none of the accessories are locked up? Might as well check to see if all cylinders are firing too.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Cats were clogged

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's a whole lot easier to fix than a transmission issue. Phew!

(I had to look back through the thread... called it in Post #5 )

Thread Information