Thread: WS6

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

WS6

Years ago I owned a 1991 Firebird Formula with a WS6 package but I had to sell it, but now own a 2002 Firebird Formula that dosen't have WS6.

I would love to have that feeling of a WS6 package on my '02, what would I have to do to the car to get that feeling back?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Years ago I owned a 1991 Firebird Formula with a WS6 package but I had to sell it, but now own a 2002 Firebird Formula that dosen't have WS6.

I would love to have that feeling of a WS6 package on my '02, what would I have to do to the car to get that feeling back?

Sadly besides time travel, you may not end up satisfied. In 1991, the WS6 package would have felt significantly better than the standard Formula. In your 2002, the difference between your Formula and the 2002 WS6 TA (WS6 was not offered on the 2002 Formula) is pretty minimal and mostly cosmetic with the bulging hood and aero body bits. The powertrain and most of the suspension are the same. I'd also have to admit that while our 2002s were really something back in 2002, today we are grossly out-horsepowered by a large number of available cars, even the top end Kias. Now lets swallow our sadness and disappointment and start planning the necessary modifications to make you happy. You've been here long enough to know what is needed or at least where to look and as the garage mechanic advertised in the original Mad Max "Speed is just a question of money, how fast can you afford to go?"

Cheers!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Why go for the same when you can have better....

Like Steve said, the WS6 package was mostly suspension.

Better springs, shocks, SFC's, LCA's, Torque Arm, both Sway Bars and maybe a Pan Hard Bar will give you a solid foundation.

Shocks Bilstein
    The rest UMI Performance.

black
    1998 trans am convertible

GEE!!!! what a disappointing response. I think Dale was writing about feelings not speed, if we didn't have a love for our car we all be buying 600+ hp cars. after 17 yrs I still love my car. it doesn't matter that i'm not the fastest horse in the race but its still one the better looking ones. You [I] can't beat the feeling of driving with the top down, tunes playing or on occasion being the leader of the pack, the looks I get, especially for this old dog, or the constant "nice looking car". Just my 2 cents worth.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Well said DADCRUISER, I do love the looks of the car and the looks other people give to the car. But I did get help from Steve and Scott, telling me to upgrad to better springs, shocks, SFC's, LCA's, Torque Arm, both Sway Bars and maybe a Pan Hard Bar.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Well said DADCRUISER, I do love the looks of the car and the looks other people give to the car. But I did get help from Steve and Scott, telling me to upgrad to better springs, shocks, SFC's, LCA's, Torque Arm, both Sway Bars and maybe a Pan Hard Bar.
    Steve and Scott are right, add some LT headers, a good cat-back, tune and a SLP full air lid/induction kit (or similar), and your game would seriouly be upped. I added a set of factory C5 Z06 wheels to drop unsprung weight, and add a little width, which helps put the power and cornering down better.

Yeah, alot of the new cars have more power but they have more weight too, and with19-20 inch wheels, added unsprung weight. Take into account that the LS1's were underrated to begin with, the power deficit isnt as bad as it seems. There were guys with lightly modded 4th Gens taking down 5th Gen Camaro SS's on a regular basis.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by DADCRUISER View Post
    GEE!!!! what a disappointing response. I think Dale was writing about feelings not speed, if we didn't have a love for our car we all be buying 600+ hp cars. after 17 yrs I still love my car. it doesn't matter that i'm not the fastest horse in the race but its still one the better looking ones. You [I] can't beat the feeling of driving with the top down, tunes playing or on occasion being the leader of the pack, the looks I get, especially for this old dog, or the constant "nice looking car". Just my 2 cents worth.
    Totally agree except with the disappointment. I know my car gets more looks then any 4th gen Camaro or Mustangs. Around here Mustangs are a dime a dozen and most are the 6cyl version. Same with the 5th Gen Camaro. I do see quite a few SS & 2SS but have yet to see a ZL1 or Z28 in my area. A lot of C5, 6, 7's but I'm not in there class.

The weather is perfect now here. Cool in the morning and evening and not hot as hell in the afternoon. Like a stripper reaching for a dollar, my tops are popped off as soon as I can get to the car.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Totally agree except with the disappointment. I know my car gets more looks then any 4th gen Camaro or Mustangs. Around here Mustangs are a dime a dozen and most are the 6cyl version. Same with the 5th Gen Camaro. I do see quite a few SS & 2SS but have yet to see a ZL1 or Z28 in my area. A lot of C5, 6, 7's but I'm not in there class.

The weather is perfect now here. Cool in the morning and evening and not hot as hell in the afternoon. Like a stripper reaching for a dollar, my tops are popped off as soon as I can get to the car.
    You are right about the looks. My wife and I went to Bowling Green, to the museum and plant tour, during our honeymoon, I had so many people telling me how much more they liked the look of my WS6 vs the 'vettes, you would think I had some exoctic.

black

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    You are right about the looks. My wife and I went to Bowling Green, to the museum and plant tour, during our honeymoon, I had so many people telling me how much more they liked the look of my WS6 vs the 'vettes, you would think I had some exoctic.
    EXOTIC! HMM! I like that. i'll have to add that to car description when talking about mine.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

When I bought my '01 TA WS6 that's what I was saying - it has the looks of an exotic you can't get short of spending much much more. You just don't see many of them on the road or even at shows so there's the added factor of being unique and I still LOVE the looks.

black

I Work at the airport and its the only trans am in the employee parking lot. more know my car than my name and it seems like a day doesn't go by without a comment or praise.

Thread Information