Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

LS1 oil leak? 2002 B4C Car.

I am sort of new to this interesting problem; The car is an original VASP pursuit car at around 218625 it developed an oil leak at the pan gasket near the oil filter. Once I removed to gasket is was obvious that the gasket was simply worn out. New gasket and I was on my way.................until a year ago. A leak returned, after some serious detective work I discovered it was leaking on the passenger side. While the car was up I let it run for several minutes and then I saw it was leaking very slowly and actual bubbles were emerging from the oil pan/gasket, aha "excessive crankcase pressure"! I know this from my long career as a large diesel engine mechanic/supervisor as I had seen this before, what to do. I stopped driving the car and placed it into covered storage, but I knee I would eventually get back to it. This week is that time, I have searched for my problem here, and the more research I did, it seemed I was getting farther from the issue.

I noticed that the oil filler cap was constantly getting moisture, and sometime actual water build up. I would like to know how I can correct this "crankcase ventilation" problem. I believe that I installed some sort of replacement system about 10 years ago, but I cannot nail down exactly what I did (oil pan gasket was replaced 10/11/2009) (01/08/2011 PCV valve). I see all of the posts about catch cans, vacuum pumps, etc. The car now has 270,000 miles I sure how those who have had similar issues can offer some expert advice on how I can resolve this problem.

Thanks, Andy
    Last edited by ANDYZ28; 10-14-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: revision correction on the mileage

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

The OEM PCV is crap. Bad design and very easy to wear out or break.

I've attached the following 2 threads that explain about the LS6 Valley Cover Tray Mod and how to do it.

The LS6 VCT moves the PCV to under the tray cover and performs leaps and bounds over the OEM LS1 PCV.

You'll see references on notching the block. This only applies to 98-00 yr blocks. 01-02 had the LS6 block so no notching is needed.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/explain...ct-mod-156010/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/ls6-va...r-pics-145557/

One more thing I would check is to make sure that pan is flat across the mating surface. It's possible it got tweaked enough that it doesn't seal proper.

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

Do I need the LS6 valley pan for my '02 engine?

Navy Blue Metallic

Need - no, you can still use the OEM PCV however I strongly endorse and recommend going to the LS6 LCT. Believe it or not but it is actually cheaper then get the LS1 PCV if you have to replace the entire piece.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Need - no, you can still use the OEM PCV however I strongly endorse and recommend going to the LS6 LCT. Believe it or not but it is actually cheaper then get the LS1 PCV if you have to replace the entire piece.
    LCT?

Navy Blue Metallic

Sorry that should have been VCT (Valley Cover Tray)

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Sorry that should have been VCT (Valley Cover Tray)
    Thanks

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

I went down and looked at the car again today. I disconnected the PCV valve by unplugging it from the hose, ,removed the oil filler cap, started the car up and waited. At first no vapors from the oil filler opening, after it came up to temperature it was obvious no crankcase vapors were being "evacuated" from the crankcase by the PCV. The PCV appeared to be working as desired. So I guess I will be ordering some parts and opening my tool box.

Thread Information