Thread: Cam preference

Cam preference

I have a LQ9 motor with 317 heads. What would be the best cam for the motor? I already have a LS9 cam, but dont know if that's the best way to go. Does anyone know if that cam will allow me to go to the track, but still allow my car to be driven daily without it sounding too aggressive/loud on the road.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

That cam was designed for Superchargers. Has very little lift and duration 211/230 @.050 valve lift and .558/.552 lift with 1.7 rockers. With NA builds to achieve higher HP you'll need more lift & duration.

For general fun and still have it drive-able most recommendations are a 228 cam. You can go up a little more like around 232 and still have decent street manners. A 228 can be used with the stock stall converter if you're an auto. Once you go to bigger cams you'll need a bigger stall. When I was doing a straight 6.0L build with my LQ4 block, internals but swapping over to LQ9 pistons (for a higher CR) I went with a Tick Performance Polluter stg 3 cam. 239/244 112+3 LSA. It has a .650 lift and you'll need new valve springs for that cam. It's a decent cam and I drive it daily but my build is no longer a stock 6.0L, I'm now a 403ci. So what was great for the stock 6.0L is decent for the 403. More ci means you can go bigger with the cam if you want or need to.

I'm also using 243 heads and my CR is 11.5:1, putting down 450hp & tq to the wheels thru an 8.8 rear w/4.10 gears. My biggest hold back is the heads. When I can afford to, some aftermarket heads and a cam to match will punt me much higher up in the power band. But for now I'm content.

With your 317 heads you have a few options. You can sell them - they are a hot sale for ppl wanting to get boosted, Mill & port/polish them will increase you CR and bump in HP/TQ, but for the price to do all that you can find a set of used 243's and have a better head, Lastly aftermarket.

The best guys to talk to about ordering a cam are the following:
    Brian Tooley - BTR Racing
    Martin Smallwood - Smallwood Racing development (Facebook)
    Geoff - EPS Engine Power Systems.

I've dealt with all three on my build.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thread Information