Low oil pressure HELP!

What's up guys I did a ls swap in my 93 camaro. The engine runs smooth and strong until late it gets up to temp then the oil pressure drops and the hotter the engine gets the lower it gets. I put a new oil pump new pick up tube o-ring and still the same. No metal shavings in the oil. Anyone have this problem and got a fix for it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are you running a stock or aftermarket oil pressure gauge? The oil pressure will generally drop when it is hot versus cold. Standing rule of thumb is to have at least 10 psi per thousand rpm. What numbers are you seeing?

I have tried two mechanical gauges and they read the same. Oil pressure drops to 20 when it warms up 185. I'm definitely not getting 10ps1 per thousands when it's warm. But it dose when it's cold.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You could try replacing the oil pump, but sounds like the engine is worn out.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

red
    95 Z28

The old 10psi/1000rpm rule was Smokey Yunick's rule. Oil has come a long way since then, and you dont need 60psi if the engine is running at 6000rpm (for example). An oil pressure of 20psi at idle when warm isnt catastrophic by any means. If it's only 20 psi when you're running through the upper rpm bands though you've got some problems. I would still expect to see 40+, depending on what kind of pressure spring the pump has in it.

And also, send oil off to blackstone labs (or similar) for a real analysis on metal counts in the oil. You may not see readily apparent "shavings" in an engine that's just experiencing higher than usual wear.

I cut open the oil filter yesterday and it was clean. I did cam swap so I'm going to pull it today to check the bearings. I'm thinking it's a bad bearing not letting oil pass when warm. I really don't know what else it could be. Got to tear it down to see what's going on with the old 5.3

I have this exact same problem, checked the o ring and changed the already brand new oil pump. My problem is the clearances are incorrect. My motor needs to come back out....sorry for the bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information