1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Twin Turbo V6 Silverado

The word on the street is that Chevy will put a version of the twin turbo, "High Feature V6" in the 2018 Silverado 1500. This is the engine that has been seen in several versions in several Cadillacs since 2014. Currently there is a few version of the TT 3.6 V6 and a one version of the TT 3.0 V6.

Whatever version they use (or create), that should compete nicely with the EcoBoost and the EcoDiesel in the 1/2 ton market. What are your thoughts on this? Oh, and I'm curious if they plan to discontinue an engine option in favor of this TT engine.

red
    95 Z28

About damn time. Ecoboost sales have long since overtaken the 5.0 for Ford's top half ton engine offering. I cant see GM getting rid of the 5.3 (much the same as Ford has kept the 5.0 around for now), but it will be nice to have the option. For us folks living at high altitude, the turbo engine is a no brainer. Despite the fact that the 5.3 offers plenty of power for 99% of half ton truck owners, there's no debating how much faster the ecoboost trucks are. They compete well with GM's 6.2 NA engine. Fuel economy... well... they get great fuel economy when you're just highway cruising, but are pigs if you lean on them or drive all city. I've had a F150 ecoboost for a rental. Not great on mileage, but damn was it fun to put it into 4wd and launch it at full boost

No doubt though that they'll restrict it to double or crew cabs, and upper level equipment packages like they do with the 6.2 now I would absolutely be down for a regular cab short bed with a twin turbo six.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    About damn time. Ecoboost sales have long since overtaken the 5.0 for Ford's top half ton engine offering. I cant see GM getting rid of the 5.3 (much the same as Ford has kept the 5.0 around for now), but it will be nice to have the option. For us folks living at high altitude, the turbo engine is a no brainer. Despite the fact that the 5.3 offers plenty of power for 99% of half ton truck owners, there's no debating how much faster the ecoboost trucks are. They compete well with GM's 6.2 NA engine. Fuel economy... well... they get great fuel economy when you're just highway cruising, but are pigs if you lean on them or drive all city. I've had a F150 ecoboost for a rental. Not great on mileage, but damn was it fun to put it into 4wd and launch it at full boost

No doubt though that they'll restrict it to double or crew cabs, and upper level equipment packages like they do with the 6.2 now I would absolutely be down for a regular cab short bed with a twin turbo six.
    I don't know much about the new GM turbo sixes are but Ive heard about the Eco-boosts, namely the sixes, having problems oil/fuel pooling and build-up, and not being able to clean it up with an induction service because the turbo(s) is too close (essentially part of the exhaust manifold) and would burn the turbo out.

My wife and I stayed away from the Eco-boosts on her Fusion betweenthe above and that they required premium to get the adverised power and fuel economy, the 2.0 had some wicked turbo lag too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

One of the car shows last weekend showed an Eco Boost Ford had burned out it's turbo on the passenger side at 70,000 miles for that reason Scott said. And you are right in how they are mounted, it is the first that I've seen mounted at an angle instead of level. Also they are water cooled.

The Eco boost is a good running engine, just a tweak in the design on how the turbos are ran might be what it needs to fix the burn out.

I want to see more on the turbo V4 Camaro performance.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I4, not V4. The Turbo I4 Camaro is a lot like the Cadillac ATS and CTS. It's pretty zippy for a 2.0 liter but nothing breathtaking
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Navy Blue Metallic

So it's an inline 4 cyl. I missed that.

It's gear towards the young kids. Something to introduce the brand to them.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    So it's an inline 4 cyl. I missed that.

It's gear towards the young kids. Something to introduce the brand to them.
    If I could by stripped out one for 20-22k, I would do a 4cyl as a daily driver.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I can't believe it's taken GM this long to finally get the message. I'm like 5.0.....I'd love to see what one in a regular cab short wheel base truck would do. Bet that thing would haul ass. GM still putting the 4.8 in anything? If they are I could see that going bye bye in favor of the TT6 and having the 5.3 still in the line up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Id be curious to see this myself. I bought a 15 f150 3.5 ecoboost this past December and have been loving it so far. It's definitely new to me but it's got plenty of power and it drives like a dream. Coming from a 6.2 escalade I hardly miss the v8 and when I do the camaro is in the garage.
    To be honest the low end torque on the ecoboost surprised me a lot, just hope it holds together for years to come.

Navy Blue Metallic

How's it do for towing? Limits?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How's it do for towing? Limits?
    Truck is supposedly rated for 10,800# which is more than my buddys 2wd 5.0. Most I've hauled with it was 2 cubes of cinder blocks on an 18' trailer and it pulled it great but the brakes were lacking imo.
    Trailer brakes would have been nice but it wasn't my trailer so couldn't complain. This truck came with 3.31s so it's already at a slight disadvantage but I don't pull all the time and doing about 19 mpg on 33s it's not bad imo. If I push it I can get over 20 but it's rare.

I looked at Chevy and gmcs but the interior was what got me into the Ford, that and I wanted a 6.2 but it would've cost me a fortune. I wanted a Chevy but the sport package in the Ford is pretty damn nice and I think the new styling on the f150 beats gm

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Truck is supposedly rated for 10,800# which is more than my buddys 2wd 5.0. Most I've hauled with it was 2 cubes of cinder blocks on an 18' trailer and it pulled it great but the brakes were lacking imo.
    Trailer brakes would have been nice but it wasn't my trailer so couldn't complain. This truck came with 3.31s so it's already at a slight disadvantage but I don't pull all the time and doing about 19 mpg on 33s it's not bad imo. If I push it I can get over 20 but it's rare.

I looked at Chevy and gmcs but the interior was what got me into the Ford, that and I wanted a 6.2 but it would've cost me a fortune. I wanted a Chevy but the sport package in the Ford is pretty damn nice and I think the new styling on the f150 beats gm
    Doesnt the tow rating have a lot to do with the braking and cooling system?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Twin Turbo V6 Silverado

Yes and no. In the owners manual, they usually list the tow ratings by engine. Then they break it down by 2wd/ 4wd, cab/box, and/or rearend gear ratio. Stuff like that.
    It's not listed by brakes and cooling system, those things just come along with the trucks configuration.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yes and no. In the owners manual, they usually list the tow ratings by engine. Then they break it down by 2wd/ 4wd, cab/box, and/or rearend gear ratio. Stuff like that.
    It's not listed by brakes and cooling system, those things just come along with the trucks configuration.
    Yeah but typically "x" engine gets "y" brake and cooling package, which only certain trim levels allow certain engines, unlike "back in the day" when you could mix and match.

Heck even the last run Caprice's and Roadmasters had a 10k + tow rating, with a whopping 180 hp 300 lb/ft 350.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 10-06-2016 at 11:19 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Twin Turbo V6 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post

Heck even the last run Caprice's and Roadmasters had a 10k + tow rating, with a whopping 180 hp 300 lb/ft 350.
    I find that hard to believe. I wouldn't think it would tow much more then 4k....
    Last edited by Cutlass; 10-07-2016 at 01:51 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Cutlass, I'm sending you a PM I need your input on.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I find that hard to believe. I wouldn't think it would much more then 4k....
    It cant. One of those full frame caprices is rated to tow 2,000 pounds.

The roadmaster is apparently rated at 5000 pounds though.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    It cant. One of those full frame caprices is rated to tow 2,000 pounds.

The roadmaster is apparently rated at 5000 pounds though.
    Sorry, its been about 25 years since I read the Motor Trend article the max for the Caprice and Roadmaster wagons was 5k the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham maxed at 7k.

There must have also been mention of as Suburban or something too.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I drove my friend's eco-boosted full size F-150 that is a couple of years old. It had impressive pull for something that large. His truck literally kisses my work bench and rubs its ass on my garage door when I put it up on the lift.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I drove my friend's eco-boosted full size F-150 that is a couple of years old. It had impressive pull for something that large. His truck literally kisses my work bench and rubs its ass on my garage door when I put it up on the lift.
    If it's a 4wd, go put it in 4hi and brake boost it and launch it. It's impressive for such a big tank.

Thread Information