Tuning MAF for SD like throttle response

Hey guys,
    I just finished up my H/C/I daily driver (02 WS6) and dialed in the VE tables along with the MAF calibration using HP tuners. While doing so, i noticed night and day differences between SD throttle response and the MAF throttle response despite the MAF tune being close to perfect. It just seems like the MAF isnt as responsive as the car being in SD mode for part throttle conditions and this is on a 11.1 setup with a very torquey 228r 112lsa cam and ported fast 92 with ported ls6 heads, full exhaust, SLP 85mm Maf, which has great throttle response to begin with. I began doing alot of research and the only thing i could come up with is that the MAF filtering tends to be slower due to more sensor input and variables to derive proper fueling than just having MAP,IAT, and VE for SD. It seems that charge temperature coefficents and tampering with this table by increasing the values has some better throttle response for some other people with MAF cars. Has anyone explored the MAF tables more in depth specifically relating to getting better throttle response by making it react quicker to sorting through information (i.e temperature, ve tables,airflow etc). There doesnt seem to be too much info out there on this.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Other than maybe checking the HP Tuners forum, I haven't a clue. Benefit of a MAF obviously is that you are actually measuring the incoming airflow rather than estimating it. This being said, a lot of guys run their cars on an SD tune without issue.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Tuning MAF for SD like throttle response

It also differers between model yrs and MAF as well.

98's have different ecm vs the following yrs. It's easier to tune 99 < because they have a different ecm plus software that allows for more inputs from the maf. At least that's what I understand what my tuner explained to me when he did my SD tune.

Being at sea level all the time the car is very snappy in throttle response. More so in colder temps.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

FBJ could write a book on this topic. I don't fully understand "why" SD has better throttle response, but according to everything I've read, it just does.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I believe it's because the ECM doesn't have to wait for the MAF sensor to populate the data into the tables for it to make it's adjustments to fuel and timing.

You're right on FBJ.

Thread Information