01 SS randomly dies!

Hello, I have an 01 camaro that has something weird going on, during the winter months it drives fine and doesn't die but when summer rolls around it will start and run for about 3-4 min then then idle sounds like it changes then dies shortly after, it doesn't stumble, jerk or anything its like you cut the switch off to kill it, I have replaced the fuel pump, crank sensor, PCM, cleaned throttle body and IAC valve chasing this problem, note it only has 86k miles on it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Never hurts to check fuel pressure. Does it start right back up or do you have to crank on it?

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Never hurts to check fuel pressure. Does it start right back up or do you have to crank on it?
    it had fuel pressure when it died, so the shop said, you have to wait a few minutes before it will start back

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

This is a possibility....

How full is the tank? Some times the plastic line in the tank will crack. Fuel drops below the crack and then you no longer can get fuel to flow.

How to test is with a Fuel Pressure Gauge, turn key on and leave it on. Watch the pressure it should surge to 56-60 psi and stay steady. If the pressure drops then you most likely have this issue.

Far shot on this one....but have you had any other issues? Like the windows, radio, lights inside cut off randomly, security light comes on and off?
    I'll wait for your reply before I go further.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    This is a possibility....

How full is the tank? Some times the plastic line in the tank will crack. Fuel drops below the crack and then you no longer can get fuel to flow.

How to test is with a Fuel Pressure Gauge, turn key on and leave it on. Watch the pressure it should surge to 56-60 psi and stay steady. If the pressure drops then you most likely have this issue.

Far shot on this one....but have you had any other issues? Like the windows, radio, lights inside cut off randomly, security light comes on and off?
    I'll wait for your reply before I go further.
    Yes it has the BCM problem as well been looking to get it soldered, thank you so much for the replies and tips

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any luck yet?

Any luck yet?
    No sir still chasing, it just seems odd that it does it only during the summer months, during the winter it doesn't do it much if at all

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Curious if the stumble and die happens right when the PCM switches over from open loop to closed loop? If I recall, this occurs when the coolant temp gets to about 140 degrees, so time-wise it may correspond with your issue.

Curious if the stumble and die happens right when the PCM switches over from open loop to closed loop? If I recall, this occurs when the coolant temp gets to about 140 degrees, so time-wise it may correspond with your issue.
    It sounds like it changes idles if you listen very closely then shortly after it changes it dies, it also sounds like something kicks off when it changes kinda sounds like turning a vacuum cleaner off, but then again you have to listen very very closely, thanks so much for your feedback it's greatly appreciated

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The "vacuum cleaner" is most likely your secondary air system. There is a pump mounted in front of the driver side wheel well that blows air into the exhaust manifolds at cold startup. This system only runs for a short period of time and helps get the catalytic converters up to temperature. It really does sound like something acting up then when it goes into closed loop. Have you ever cleaned your MAF and throttle body?

The "vacuum cleaner" is most likely your secondary air system. There is a pump mounted in front of the driver side wheel well that blows air into the exhaust manifolds at cold startup. This system only runs for a short period of time and helps get the catalytic converters up to temperature. It really does sound like something acting up then when it goes into closed loop. Have you ever cleaned your MAF and throttle body?
    Yes cleaned throttle body but not the MAF ill clean it and see if that helps, thanks again

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

When you have it apart - take a look at the MAF to see if it has been modified (ported, descreened, debladed...). You'll want to use something like CRC Spray MAF Cleaner and then a Throttle Body Cleaner as well. You can hose down the throttle body and carefully wipe away the gunk. Q-tips work nice for the crevices and such, but do not use them on the MAF.

When you have it apart - take a look at the MAF to see if it has been modified (ported, descreened, debladed...). You'll want to use something like CRC Spray MAF Cleaner and then a Throttle Body Cleaner as well. You can hose down the throttle body and carefully wipe away the gunk. Q-tips work nice for the crevices and such, but do not use them on the MAF.
    Will do that, thanks again for all your help! It's greatly appreciated

Cleaned the MAF, started it, it got to nearly operating temp and died, not sure if I added that the check gauges light comes on, wouldn't start back just turned over and over.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Scan for codes?

Black
    2001 Z28

I had a very similar issue but on a lt1. It was my ignition control module. It would randomly cut off when it was really warm. Then the next day it would run fine. It took me several other avenues before figuring out that's what it was

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

So how is everything coming?

Was your SES light on at all during any of these cycles?

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Thread Information