pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question Need good 350 heads to go with 290 comp cam.

I have a 290 comp cam that have a 501/501 lift in my 350 engine that is bored 30 0ver with 10 to 1 flat top pistons, rpm intake 750 holley carb, hooker headers 2.5 inch exhaust with hooker mufflers. the engine have vortec heads with a 525 max lift with 190/150 valves,The truck runs good but I feel that a lot my be left on the table by me not having bigger valves to make the engine show it's full performance. I don't all out race the truck but just want the go power when I want to at times. I have a set in mind that have 202/160 valves 575 max lift that are alum. made by blueprint which is also on a engine I purchased from them some years ago.what should I be looking for to make sure I get the best head for the least amount of money.Dont want to go over board on the price. any ideals?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can't beat the iron Vortec heads for the money. We run those on our '74 Corvette 350 engine and it is a torque monster. An aftermarket set of heads will up the ante a bit -- just not sure if it is going to be worth the extra $$ in the long run. Has the current combo ever been tuned -- distributor curve, air/fuel, etc...?

Jeff is on the money.

You say truck and I think big heavy vehicle shaped like a brick used to tow and haul stuff. So I'd be more concerned with a nice flat torque curve and not so much HP.

The Vortec heads are a good piece out of the box. They are exactly what GM used to create the LT1 heads in later years (with reverse flow cooling) Same intake/exhaust port design.

If it hasn't been already, I'd get it on a chassis dyno and fine tune it, there may be enough power there to be found to satisfy. If you're really ambitious the vortec heads wake up with a simple bowl blend and clean up to help mid lift flow numbers. Would cost you nothing but gaskets and a couple days time.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Jeff is on the money.

You say truck and I think big heavy vehicle shaped like a brick used to tow and haul stuff. So I'd be more concerned with a nice flat torque curve and not so much HP.

The Vortec heads are a good piece out of the box. They are exactly what GM used to create the LT1 heads in later years (with reverse flow cooling) Same intake/exhaust port design.

If it hasn't been already, I'd get it on a chassis dyno and fine tune it, there may be enough power there to be found to satisfy. If you're really ambitious the vortec heads wake up with a simple bowl blend and clean up to help mid lift flow numbers. Would cost you nothing but gaskets and a couple days time.
    There is no dyno turners in my area, the nearest one is about 600 miles away. I have changed springs in the dist, played with the timing,changed the jets in the carb,installed 2.5 exhaust and hooker headers and mufflers, other than that I am lost.Like I said the truck runs good and may be I look for it to perform like my camero which weights a lot less.yet like all of us the truck is not what I feel it should be.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The extra thousand pounds or so of the truck does make a huge difference. Rear gears are the easiest upgrade for a "snappier" feel, and so long as you do not tow with it, a bit looser converter if it is an auto. Both will compromise your fuel mileage but will improve the feel of your truck.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The extra thousand pounds or so of the truck does make a huge difference. Rear gears are the easiest upgrade for a "snappier" feel, and so long as you do not tow with it, a bit looser converter if it is an auto. Both will compromise your fuel mileage but will improve the feel of your truck.
    Running 373 gears and a 2200 stall,rpm intake and a 750 holley.also have a light shift kit installed in trans. with the 290 comp cam that has the 501 lift.

Thread Information