Silver
    2002 Camaro

Smile Cam for Stock exhaust

Hello Forum,

This is my first post on LS1.com, I have a 2002 SS with 34K miles and absolutely no power mods except for a K&N filter.
    My exhaust is still factory, so my question is about adding a cam and keeping my stock exhaust.

Will the Hot Cam work with the stock exhaust? Can I possibly go with a more aggressive cam and keep the exhaust?

I like the .525 lift of the Hot cam as it is easy on the valve springs, although I do plan on going with LS6 springs at the very least.

Thanks in advance

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

First off WELCOME !!.......and congrats on the 02 SS with 34K.....that's some impressively low miles. Just a quick question back @ ya!..Is there a reason that you opt for a cam swap before dealing with the stock exhaust? Since engines are like giant air pumps the more air you pump in and the faster you can get it out-makes you more power!!...One of the easiest and "cheaper" things that we can do with our F-bodies to gain more HP is to add a cold air kit and long tube headers and a straight flow through type muffler.Not only does it free up more power it sounds great!! There are also a few free-mods you can do too.I see nothing wrong with a cam swap( I wish I could do one myself) i don't think it would hurt to keep the stock exhaust with a cam swap but you would definitely get more out of a cam swap with an open intake and exhaust.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I have a Silverado cam in my car (no idea what the specs are). I also have worked heads and stock exhaust manifolds/mid pipe. It also has a Magnaflow cat-back. It will all come down to the tune.

I don't know how much the exhaust manifold is restricting my airflow, but with the mods I've listed, plus an air lid and a ported throttle body I'm getting 361 at the wheels. Hope that is helpful.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    2002 Camaro

SuperSSguy, thanks a bunch for the welcome and response! To be perfectly honest, I love the quiet exhaust note the car has. I love being able to rev it up and not attract any attention from the men who keep the peace. I was always paranoid when I would open up my brand new 86 GT (Yes, I am a defector) because of the loud exhaust I had installed the moment I purchased it.

I would not mind some long tubes with cats and some mellow mufflers if it meant having a quiet exhaust, I understand there are some cats that only rob about 2-3 hp after everything is said and done. Heck, if a nice set of long tubes free up another 30 hp, that's not a bad deal..

But, all in all, I love my quiet exhaust.....I am not totally sure how I would feel if I ripped everything out for some hp gain (especially since the car looks brand new) when all I really want is some lump in my idle.

Once again, thanks for the welcome SuperSSguy.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I have a Silverado cam in my car (no idea what the specs are). I also have worked heads and stock exhaust manifolds/mid pipe. It also has a Magnaflow cat-back. It will all come down to the tune.

I don't know how much the exhaust manifold is restricting my airflow, but with the mods I've listed, plus an air lid and a ported throttle body I'm getting 361 at the wheels. Hope that is helpful.
    Naaman, thanks for the response. A buddy said the same thing about the "tune". He said to check the base circle size of the cam I am installing and the one I am taking out, for the pushrods sake (plan is to swap pushrods for the hardened variety along with valve springs). So much for an easy swap huh?

361 at the wheels is nice for stock manifolds!

Silver
    2002 Camaro

SuperSSguy,

Not sure if you received my earlier post, not showing up on the board.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I just saw your first post about wanting a cam with stock exhaust?
    Quote Originally Posted by SS2002 View Post
    SuperSSguy,

Not sure if you received my earlier post, not showing up on the board.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

SuperSSguy,

To sum it up, I have had loud exhaust systems when I was younger, would not mind long tube headers with cats and perhaps quiet mufflers to do the job but I am not totally sure I want to rip up my exhaust just so I can have a lumpy cam.
    My car will probably never see the track, so leaving hp on the table will not be a big deal.

An ideal exhaust setup would be shortys and stock exhaust behind it I would think for my situation.

Thanks for the friend request SuperSSguy, have a great day guys!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Shorty headers will easily net you a 0-4 HP gain, and the header manufacturers make money. The stock LS1 manifolds flow as well as shorties.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Shorty headers will easily net you a 0-4 HP gain, and the header manufacturers make money. The stock LS1 manifolds flow as well as shorties.
    Too Fast, that is really good info! Thx

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Shorties are really only good for turbo guys.

In your case I would recommend getting a LS6 intake, stay with the stock manifolds and get a Magnaflow muffler or similar (just not Flowmasters unless you like rasp) and a 228 cam with 112 LSA. That will still give you a bump in HP & TQ but still not make it impractical to Daily Drive or cruise with it.

Another thing that would be a benefit is get a set of 243 or 799 heads, get them freshen up and call it a day after you get it tune. Yes with a cam or head swap you'll need a tune. LS6 intake no tune needed.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Shorties are really only good for turbo guys.

In your case I would recommend getting a LS6 intake, stay with the stock manifolds and get a Magnaflow muffler or similar (just not Flowmasters unless you like rasp) and a 228 cam with 112 LSA. That will still give you a bump in HP & TQ but still not make it impractical to Daily Drive or cruise with it.

Another thing that would be a benefit is get a set of 243 or 799 heads, get them freshen up and call it a day after you get it tune. Yes with a cam or head swap you'll need a tune. LS6 intake no tune needed.
    Thanks for the info on the cam, I would gladly welcome some 243 heads from an LS6! I believe my year model 2002 already has the LS6 intake from factory, and it also seems that my car has the LS6 block as I have noted the difference between the LS1 and LS6 blocks in the 2002 model year, my block does "not" have the bullseye imprinted on the block near the head on passenger side. Too bad there is no HP advantage in having the LS6 block other than it breaths better at high rpm's.

So definitely a tune is in the works after a cam swap. I appreciate your help on the cam.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I know some one that has a set of 799's for sale.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have a new set of ls1/ls6 head gaskets if you do a head swap I'd give you for cheap as they are just sitting in my garage since I was going to use them but I decided to build a stroker instead.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

I liked the quiet exhaust too the older I got.. I went from having longtubes and TSP's X pipe system dumped under the rear seats to longtubes and an ORY with the stock Z28 muffler out the back.. It was damn quiet yet had all of its pep still.. Something to consider.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    I liked the quiet exhaust too the older I got.. I went from having longtubes and TSP's X pipe system dumped under the rear seats to longtubes and an ORY with the stock Z28 muffler out the back.. It was damn quiet yet had all of its pep still.. Something to consider.
    This. Though I'll probably stay with Magnaflow.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

You guys would hate my exhaust plans. 2" primaries with 3.5" collectors flipped and extended out the bumper with no mufflers.

Silver
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Goldenflame, that is definitely something to consider! I would like to keep my stock muffler and tailpipes in place after all upgrades.
    Thank you sir. I will do some research on ORY this afternoon.

Thread Information