Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Plasti-dipping wheels?

Has anyone plasti-dipped thier wheels here?

My ser of Z06 wheels come from the fronts of an early and a late C5, so the colors are slightly different.

I figured instead of having two of the darker wheels painted to match the lighter ones (I think its like 150 each wheel to paint), I was thinkng of finding a can or two of light silver plasti-dip (for wheels if they have them) and painting them.

Any input?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Just make sure to clean your wheels really good before laying down plasti dip. Id wait until its at least in the 70's before trying to spray because it will take forever to dry. You should be able to get away with 1 can per wheel. Extremely light coat for the first spray and then thicker for the next 2-3 coats. You can find all kinds of vids on youtube. I had great results on my wheels when I put black plasti dip on my stock wheels. They lasted for a long time until I had to get new tires.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

A friend of mine did this. After a while, the rims of the wheels started to peel. I always assumed he did something wrong, but it goes to show that you should do your homework before hand.

I just got a set of new wheels and was considering dipping them since I'd have preferred a gun metal color, but the style of wheel I wanted was only available in bright silver. Not sure I'm going to go that route, but its a possibility I've kept in my back pocket for a while.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've know about 5 sets of wheels in my area that have done this. It's a great way to see if you like the color or theme without it being permanent. I'm waiting like Red said for temps to get above 70's to try what I want to do on my Snowflakes. I want to see the Snowflake blacked out while keeping the rest as the brushed Aluminum. If I like it I'll then invest in getting them powder coated.

Gotta make sure whatever you are applying to, that it's cleaned very well and you mask off everything. Use light coats for the first 2-3 passes then a couple of medium coats to avoid runs.

If you don't like it you can always peel off. It's going to peel off over time, I believe I was told they usually have to do touch ups every 3 months or if they use a high pressure sprayer directly on them. Hand wash if you don't want to risk peeling by accident.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I've know about 5 sets of wheels in my area that have done this. It's a great way to see if you like the color or theme without it being permanent. I'm waiting like Red said for temps to get above 70's to try what I want to do on my Snowflakes. I want to see the Snowflake blacked out while keeping the rest as the brushed Aluminum. If I like it I'll then invest in getting them powder coated.

Gotta make sure whatever you are applying to, that it's cleaned very well and you mask off everything. Use light coats for the first 2-3 passes then a couple of medium coats to avoid runs.

If you don't like it you can always peel off. It's going to peel off over time, I believe I was told they usually have to do touch ups every 3 months or if they use a high pressure sprayer directly on them. Hand wash if you don't want to risk peeling by accident.
    Thats what I have been hearing. I figure the nice things about it is, no downtime for the car (except the weekend that I do the dipping), I can peel it if I want to resell the wheels, and it will still be the factory color under it (for those that need to have matching colored wheels), and I can always touch up the wheels with a pass or two.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I know a couple of track cars here that they are painted with Plasti-dip paint. It's cheaper to peal and fix anytime there's an issue.

Impounded

BMW
    Áåðòà

Plasti dipping wheels

Nice job Love the wheels in black. The front came out really nice as well. Home-depot/Lowes/Walmart in my area sells them for like 6 a can. Just saw an ad for Flexi-dip or something like that made by Rust-oleum, sold at Home Depot, never tried that one, but from the ad it sounds like a Plasti-dip knockoff.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

The bots are getting quite sophisticated these days, huh?

(The post is a copy/paste from the Camaro5 forum).

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    The bots are getting quite sophisticated these days, huh?

(The post is a copy/paste from the Camaro5 forum).
    Wait, whaaaat?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

The post above mine seemed suspicious, so I copied/pasted it into google and voila. Some dude with a 5th gen posted a pic of his OEM wheels plastidipped in black. Another legitimate member of that forum made the comment you see posted here by "ezirohfozv," who is a bot.

Satin Black
    1998 Trans Am

I dipped my 98 trans am a little over a week ago. My advice is to clean the wheels and make sure they are completely dry. Also, spray a little on a piece of cardboard before you start spraying each coat on your wheels to make sure the product is flowing smoothly and not get any plasti dip spats. I got some spats on my rear wing and could not do much about it. (I did not want to peel it off the wing and start over again).

Light pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS vert

I did my 10 spoke SS wheels in Plastidip, I used 4 cans of regular black then 2 cans of graphite metallizer then 2 cans of glossifier. I think they came out great! trying to figure out how to post pic from my phone.

Thread Information