Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would want to look over an H&R really good to make sure it doesn't have the same trigger goup as the H&R .410 and the Rossi .45 cal I bought Zach. That trigger group is a pain in the ass to disassemble and clean. I took it out of Zach's muzzy year before last and that thing shit springs and clips all over the table. Took me forever to figure out how to get that thing back together. You have to use a shorter pin and assemble the group outside the gun then slide it into place and drive the shorter pin out with the stock pin. Pain....in....the....ass.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I started looking for parts again today for my old shotgun. It's a jc higgins model 20 built by high standard. I want to say it was made in '62 or '63 but I would have to look up the numbers again to be positive. I had a problem last year with it misfiring. It would dent the primer on the shell but not enough to fire the shell. I had an extra trigger group here and I swapped the hammer spring over but that didn't fix it. I'm at 3 possibilities I believe. The hammer spring I swapped over was also a used spring so either I have 2 weak hammer springs or it's the firing pin or firing pin spring. I thought for sure it was that hammer spring because I bought the used trigger group to fix another problem with the gun and the misfiring started right after that. I figured the spring in the new(used) trigger group was weak so I put my original back in. Still misfired. I think I'm down to the firing pin and firing pin spring. To me, at least, the most likely is that spring. I can find the pin at numrich but I can't find the spring anywhere. There is a loaded bolt on ebay for $60 that I'm considering buying. I just hate buying a used $60 part to get a $2 spring out of when the $2 spring in it could be weak too. I would like to see if there were any other models that used that same pin/spring which I'm sure there are....just not sure where to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Try the pin first since you can find it. A gun that old it could very well be the pin although the spring is usually the culprit. If it isn't the pin and no one sells the spring specifically for that gun then you will just have to find a spring that meets the specs.... if you can find those.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you know....after thinking on this a few minutes today something occurred to me. That firing pin spring holds the pin in the recessed position so it wouldn't effect the pin from firing the shell unless it was too tight which is probably not a possibility....a spring wouldn't get tighter with age. I'm now thinking it's either that pin or I have 2 bad hammer springs. In that scenario the pin makes the most sense....it's only a $14 part so it's getting replaced whether that's it or not. I did see a hammer/spring assembly on ebay for $20...may just order that and swap that out too while I'm at it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thread jack -

Speaking of misfires, I have some old .380 ammo that I have been trying to use up and I do experience an occasional misfire (2 rounds last time out, 1 before that). I have always carefully placed the round in my shop vise, pried out the bullet, dumped the powder and then set off the primer with a hammer and punch. Of course, I am using safety glasses, keeping my distance and working at it from the side. Is there a better way to "deactivate" a misfired round?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

never dealt with that....if I get a misfire it gets pitched. I don't reload though.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The best way I have found is to set up the rounds on a wood stand, slug facing away from you bend a nail over the round and then shoot the primer with a .22 or .17. But if you want to keep the slug and powder then just get a bullet puller.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Stock 1 is typical of the Wingmaster.

Stock 2 is typical of the Express models. It is also a laminate stock.

As for disposal of duds, I used to keep a quart jar filled with a few cups of WD40 and I'd toss duds in there. Light lubricants will eventually seep past the primer and contaminate the primer and powder. I now use a kinetic hammer to disassemble and reuse the components.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Good info. Thanks!

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I'm very late to the party but I own #1 in a 12gauge model...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Thread Information