Thread: Cold Air intake

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Cold Air intake

Starting my Christmas shopping. What's a good cold air intake for a 2010 GMC with the 5.3? I would like to have a washable/reusable filter, but not a cotton/oil style.
    Last edited by blackcar; 10-28-2015 at 01:41 PM.

red
    95 Z28

AEM has a good dry flow air filter that I'm running with a Volant intake. It's a cleanable filter and uses no oil. And when I was having my oil analysis done (on a few occasions) with Blackstone Labs, the tests showed the filter was doing just fine keeping insolubles out of the engine.

If you look closely as the AEM filter, it's made by K&N

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Thanks. This is the kind of help I'm looking for. Anyone else have any good ideas. There are sooo many to choose from.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Isn't the factory intake already a cold air intake? Don't buy one that "seals" to the hood (like the K&N), because they don't really seal to the hood well enough in my opinion. which make them a hot air intake. I don't know if any of the CAI kits are worth there price. You're basically buying one that looks nicer then stock, sounds nicer then stock, may gain anywhere from 0 to 15 horsepower, and may let in more dirt that'll ruin your pistons rings in the long run.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

What has better air flow, a flat filter like what is in there or a cone style?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    and may let in more dirt that'll ruin your pistons rings in the long run.
    that depends entirely on the air filter used.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    What has better air flow, a flat filter like what is in there or a cone style?
    The design of the filter itself doesn't matter. Whichever filter has more surface area will technically flow better, but it all has to get sucked through the same hole (MAF sensor).

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If the filters were the same size, air flow and filtration would seem to contradict each other. My concern is, can you have better air flow and better filtration at the same time? I would think the answer is no.
    And on a bone stock truck, I'd bet the air flow restriction between a paper filter and a K&N is astronomically small.
    So all you're really doing is adding more dirt to your engine if you slide in a K&N (or hi flow aftermarket "filter")

red
    95 Z28

If the filters were the same size, air flow and filtration would seem to contradict each other. My concern is, can you have better air flow and better filtration at the same time? I would think the answer is no.
    And on a bone stock truck, I'd bet the air flow restriction between a paper filter and a K&N is astronomically small.
    So all you're really doing is adding more dirt to your engine if you slide in a K&N (or hi flow aftermarket "filter")
    And for most trucks that are just driven on the street it isn't a big deal even if there was some difference. That's why I posted what my scientific findings from blackstone were, which are based on actual testing, not conjecture like your concerns. Aftermarket dry filters are getting really good, and they aren't where most of the power gains come from anyway. Most of it is in less restrictive piping post MAF.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

That's kinda what I was getting at. A slide in filter isn't worth it.
    A CAI with the better piping, better sound, and better looks is makes more sense. But then again, I wouldn't spend $300 on CAI setup for my truck.

red
    95 Z28

That's kinda what I was getting at. A slide in filter isn't worth it.
    A CAI with the better piping, better sound, and better looks is makes more sense. But then again, I wouldn't spend $300 on CAI setup for my truck.

Agreed. I got mine used for 75$ and then spent like 40-50 on the new filter.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    that depends entirely on the air filter used.

The design of the filter itself doesn't matter. Whichever filter has more surface area will technically flow better, but it all has to get sucked through the same hole (MAF sensor).
    I guess I worded my question wrong. I knew more surface area would flow better. But which one has more surface area? If you get a filter that is more restrictive (better filtration), but has more surface area it should equal out.

I'm going to put a dry reusable filter in. And I thought now would be a good time to upgrade the intake.

red
    95 Z28

I guess I worded my question wrong. I knew more surface area would flow better. But which one has more surface area? If you get a filter that is more restrictive (better filtration), but has more surface area it should equal out.
    Probably similar. Not enough to worry about either way. You'll probably be running a conical filter with an aftermarket kit.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've liked the quality of every Volant system I've seen in person. I'm sure this system for your truck would be nice as well.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

So the difference in the two Volant systems is: Volant Filters with PowerCore® Filtration Technology

Anyone heard any good or bad

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Is the regular Volant filter an oiled filter

red
    95 Z28

Is the regular Volant filter an oiled filter

I had to look it up... the Pro 5 filter is an oiled filter. The Donaldson power core filter isn't.

Thread Information