White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Painting WS.6 rear spoiler different color?

The paint job on my T/A is finally showing age. On part of the rear spoiler my clear coat had flaked off. I have an Arctic White T/A and was thinking instead of painting the rear spoiler white, paint it matte black instead. I will be doing the CETA Mod as well but I don't know if it would look tacky or not. Any suggestions?

I was considering Plasti-Dipping the spoiler matte black first to see how it looked.
    Last edited by jpn8801; 09-07-2015 at 05:51 AM.

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Nobody has an opinion?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I would plastic dip it first and see if you like it. I've seen the spoilers painted black a few times but usually along with other parts of the car. Depending on the color it looks alright. Never been a huge fan myself.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I 2nd the plastidip idea.

I like the idea of painting the sail panel the wing and doing the ceta mod on white and yellow cars. Those are 2 colors that need the black color to offset the total white/yellow IMHO.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Painting WS.6 rear spoiler different color?

Plasti-dip gets my vote also. Might not look right without something done to the front. Maybe like matte black blackbird stripes on the hood scoops.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I feel that it will look out of place on a white car and will really display the wedge shape a lot. I personally never liked it on the '85/'86 cars either, in '87 they paint matched them all and they all looked much better. I say repaint it to OE spec, maybe get a little creative with it, whatever you like.

But as others have said, plastidip is an excellent "Lets see if I like it" attempt that isn't permanent, if your imagination's photoshop program doesn't work as well like mine sometimes doesn't
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Red
    1979 Pontiac Trans Am

I might be slightly late to this topic but I had to finally join the site after seeing this topic and just throw my two cents in. I Plasti dipped my car a couple of months ago. I didn't have the money for a real paint job so I did this to tie me over.

You may notice some stripes in there, which was because my gun jammed half way through . But if you are looking for a great way to test colors on your car, then it is a great way to do it.
    I don't know what year your car is, but if your spoiler is any kind of plastic, save yourself the trouble and use airplane paint stripper. If you plan to do matte black, then you have two choices. 1. Buy the product from dipyourcar.com or 2. You can mix it yourself and save some money. Either way works.
    In summary, plasti dip is a really cool product and you can do some great stuff with it. Personally I work on my car a lot and touch it and lean on it a lot. So for me, Plasti dip is not a good idea, and paint would have been better. But if you don't do that as much and just drive your car or its a part that doesn't get touched or messed with a bunch, then Plasti dip is a great idea. But that's just my opinion. Hope this helps!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

What about a "wrap"? or the hydro coat /dip or whatever its called haha....Not sure about the cost but @ least its not permanent.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wrap would also be good. Not sure it would fit in a tank for hydro dipping.

I would use plastidip. Inexpensive, easy to apply and can be removed anytime you want.

Thread Information