Black
    2002 ws6

Adding a secondary, inline fuel check valve to 2002 ws6

Much as I hate to jury rig anything, the shop wants over a grand to replace the fuel pump.

I'm not holding pressure after shutting down, which pretty much indicates the check valve.

I've heard tell of people successfully just adding another check valve in the fuel line, does anyone know what exactly to get to do this? Please?

Thanks!

Finally hit that line, where it's one thing after another for a while. rear bearing and axle seals being fixed right now, 2 pulley/tensioners last week etc.

Would just give up but don't want to sell a less than perfect car!

--alex

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Find another shop you are getting seriously screwed.....

Most likely it's a crack in the plastic pick up tube coming off the pump to the top of the fuel assembly.

Are you able to work on your vehicle?

New Racetronix Fuel Pump Kit $170 (Cheaper and better then the stock replacement assemble)
    Only takes a couple of hours to install. Shorter if you are willing to cut a trap door.
    Only need a few tools.

Also the other items mention are common wear issues. You're going to need to replace/service no matter what vehicle you drive with age/miles. It sucks at once but it is to be expected as our cars get up in the years.

If you have issues just ask away it's what most of us are here for.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    2002 ws6

Able to work on my vehicle... when I was young I did most everything, along with my father, but I'm quite rusty.

I watched a video on cutting the trap door, looks rather straightforward, I don't think I'd be having a shop do this.

I know this shop well, and trust them to not lie, but not necessarily to know better ways to fix something or whatever.

Yes, I know, it's rather an old car, but there's nothing else out since I like as much, so this is just what you get for a bit! Even if I WERE to sell it I'd not want to sell a broken car anyway, is what I meant.

And it still beats a new car payment!

Thanks much for the comments. You'd go with the fuel pump kit rather than just a 90-$130 fuel pump? I'll look at the kit, thanks for the info.

Well, I could re-insure/license the Prius (transferred plates to wife's new Outback), give myself some time to do whatever. But, man, it's a PRIUS lol.

Navy Blue Metallic

Prius = before I step foot in one. Sorry nothing personal I loath those cars.

I highly recommend get the Racetronix kit. Make sure you order for your car yr. 98's have different system then 99-02's.

The trap door method saves you from draining & dropping the tank. Just be very careful in cutting. The pump is held down with 4 IIRC 7mm nuts. You will need a set of fuel line tools to disconnect the 4 fuel lines. there are 2 on the top of the pump and 2 that are kinda to the top left. Of course they are different size then the other 2. It comes with a wiring harness that takes some patience to work with. For a stock setup you don't need the fuel pump wire kit that you can get extra. It helps the pump use it's full capacity that the stock harness doesn't. It's more important for mod'ed cars then for stock.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GREAT VENTILATION. It's not the liquid that catches fire it's the vapors. TAKE ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS!!!

Got any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-20-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I had the same issue as you and just happened to be replacing the rear at the same time so we just went ahead and dropped the tank. It's worth it to get the full kit from Racetronix and be done with it. That way you take care of it all at once instead of replacing one piece and then a couple years later the pump itself goes.
    Last edited by raynor139; 08-21-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    2002 ws6

I'd be replacing the pump itself. My reticence with the kit is I really don't need to replace all the wiring harness, the kit looks like it's just a pump and wiring harness. I won't be dropping the tank either, just cutting the access hole, does the kit include anything I need or can I just replace the pump?

Not trying to be difficult, just to understand!

Navy Blue Metallic

There are 2 separate harness.

The one that comes with the fuel pump you will need to use in order for the pump to work. You will need to push out 2 pins and swap them over to the new harness. The directions are very good and come in color. DO NOT SPLICE the 2 harness together. Your asking for problems.

The 2nd wire harness is an add on kit - Like I posted above you do not need unless you start doing adding power. If you don't do now, you can do it later. Very easy to do. Again very through directions.

Black
    2002 ws6

You can't just reuse the current harness that's on the car?

Thanks much for clearing this up for me

Navy Blue Metallic

Out of the tank, yes, you reuse the stock harness.

It's inside the tank that you need to use the one that comes with the pump. The Racetronix pump is a Walbro pump and the stock harness will not connect to it. When you get it you'll see.

Black
    2002 ws6

aaah, gotcha. Thanks much. I'd rather go with a better liked pump like this than something else anyway, especially when you're only talking what, $50 more.

Black
    2002 ws6

OK! Job completed. No major issues, running good etc etc. Thanks for all the assistance!!

btw the prius got parked/donating to a niece turning 16. It's honestly a good car, 0 issues (aside from normal wear, the car battery, brakes, tires) in 180k miles. Pretty good mileage. Hauls quite a bit. It's a "transportation" car, not for any fun for sure though lol.

She got a Subaru Outback. Still underpowered, but decent for what she wants, space for camping, all wheel drive (I actually did climb a steep offroad hill with it, not bad. not the Wrangler of course, but not bad).

Of course, after a trip in her car it's always good to get back in MINE!

Thread Information