LeMans Blue
    1979 Z28 Camaro

Angry LS swap in 79 Camaro - OBD2 issue TCC

Hey everyone. I installed a 5.3 with a 4l80e into my 79 Camaro. I installed a turbo setup and a harness from PSI. It has had a partial tune so that it runs and drives. I am getting a P1860 code which has to deal with the torque converter lock up. I removed the transmission and verified the Oring on the input shaft. I have checked the harness to the transmission and it has continuity on the brown wire(pin2). I have verified 12v from the lock up/brake switch to the computer and it is there until the brakes are applied. I also spliced a wire that I could ground while driving to enable the lockup and it works without a doubt. So, I am not sure where to go from here. The tuner says that there is nothing wrong with the tune and won't tune it until I figure out the issue because he needs it to lockup for the tune because it is speed density.
    1979 CAMARO Z28 5.3 LS swap with 4l80e and 76mm Turbonectics Turbo

You say it's locking up for sure, yet your tuner won't tune it unless it's locking up?? I guess I don't understand that part.

Are you using Nic? Never heard before that a converter needed to be locked to tune in speed density. I tune speed density here all the time and don't lock the converter, I let the trans do it's thing according to what the tune is telling it under various conditions to get PE dialed in, along with some WOT runs, of which the converter isn't locked either. Only under light throttle cruise conditions is it locked for me.
    Beats me, but I'd get the laptop on it and log a bit to see what exactly is going on.

LeMans Blue
    1979 Z28 Camaro

The computer has a fault code of 1860 which is a lock up issue. Basically, the computer isn't locking up the converter because of an error that i cannot figure out. If I take the computer out of the equation, I can ground the line(s on the transmission plug) and it will lock up.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Per the manual, P1860 has to do with the torque converter clutch pulse width modulation solenoid valve. It will set the SES is the PCM commands the solenoid "ON" and the voltage feedback on the brown wire remains high. It will also set the SES if the PCM commands the solenoid "OFF" and the voltage feedback remains low. Most of the diagnostics require a special jumper harness and test light. A blown ENG CTRL fuse and a bad solenoid are the "easy" fixes.

LeMans Blue
    1979 Z28 Camaro

I would have to say the solenoid is good because the converter does lock up if I "Cheat" the system by grounding the brown wire. What does the computer do with pin 2? I would guess it acts like a ground?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

From the schematic, it looks like it opens and closes a path to ground. Are you grounding the wire at the transmission or up by the PCM?

LeMans Blue
    1979 Z28 Camaro

I cut the wire by the transmission and had it run inside the car so I could just ground while driving and watch it lock up, which it did. I reattached everything back to the trans and turned the key on with the computer harness unplugged and measure 12v on pin 2 RED coming from the trans. That seems okay to me

LeMans Blue
    1979 Z28 Camaro

Just wanted to let everyone know that the problem is fixed. I had not yet driven the car on the freeway or at a constant speed over 60. Anyways, when I drove on the freeway, all the gears worked great and the transmission locked up. Checked for the code and it is gone!!! I finally get my full tune on the 19th of Sept. Can't wait

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good to hear!

We'll be out to AZ in November. Looking forward to relaxing and taking in the scenery.

LeMans Blue
    1979 Z28 Camaro

Sounds good. Perfect time of year to be out here and not in PA

Thread Information