Blog Entries

'99 TransAm: my rear turn blinker not work,. Corroded plug?

HELP! My 1st post. Just bought '99 T/A and need get inspected, but left rear blinker not working. Turn arrow stays ON when stalj pulled but no flash. Manual says that bulb, not fuse. Front bulb appeard lit. So, i yanked rear bulb (5 wingnuts, not 4?! lucky i didnt crack the lens!) and installed new bulb after cleaning corrosion out of socket a bit. Now, bulb lights but no flash. Is there another bulb for blinker? This 3057 bulb was the main one in the big middle of lens carrier. Olf bulb socket area was pretty corroded (calky, brownish, burned...). I scraped contacts with knife a bit but maybe not enough? Anyway, any chance it is FRONT bulb problem? I thought rear as nighttime running light was out. (Guys told me that all 3 brake lights working.... L, R, center.) Possible the socket corroded so bad it ruined the contact connection? Best way to clean the socket (what solvent) and/or replace cheap? I see it sold at Autozone for like $10.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Corroded sockets are all to common. Once they are as gone as you say it's just time to replace them. Parts stores sell them, ebay and even Amazon. Shop around you might find them cheaper than parts stores.

There are a couple of things that help.

1) Dielectric grease on the connectors
    2) Drill a drainage hole on the bottom of the housing. You'll have to take them out to do so. Helps the bulb, the lense, and connectors last longer.

3) Rear lights - they can fill with water and start de-chrome the backside of the light. I took a 1/8" bit and drilled 3 holes on the under side directly under the bulb location and also ran a bead of black RTV along the top side edge to help seal them better. Smooth it out with your finger to flatten it out so it's not so noticeable.

Blog Entries
    I just saw that the other small bulb is out, #194. If that "running light" in the rear module is out, will that also make the FLASH arrow stay LIT and not get any blinking? (I think I replaced a good bulb on blinker, but no worries as I cleaned lots corrosion and saw it first hand. Used the di-elec grease too.) The Manual says if flasher light stays lit (i.e. does not blink), it's a bulb and not a fuse. Is that true for the relay also? HOPING Hoping hoping it is just that $4 #194 running light bulb so I can pass inspection ! Any clues, experience to share? Thx

Blog Entries
    Gents: thx for your help. It was other of the dual tail/blinker 3057 bulbs! Now I have two new bulbs and it works great, but I do also have that dirty-darkened lens on driver side. THAT's why i was not seeing which bulb clearly. Thx!

Next newbie question: i've got that moldy smell a day after a/c runs, and folks say a simple clogged evaporator drain hose. But, what is BEST way to clean or unclog it with simple tools?

Thread Information