Thread: Brake Issue

Brake Issue

Lost my brakes tonight. 2006 Silverado Duramax. Was at a stop light, in Drive...revved the motor a little bit and the brake pedal crashed. Got home, fluid leaking out from under the truck in the front. Hard to tell where it's coming from but I want to say it's the passenger side front. I'm guessing it's the master cylinder or one of the lines collapsed. One of my buddies just told me that these trucks are notorious for that. I dunno the best way to describe the color of the fluid...pear colored.
    Last edited by cam02ss; 07-15-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    Lost my brakes tonight. 2006 Silverado Duramax. Was at a stop light, in Drive...revved the motor a little bit and the brake pedal crashed. Got home, fluid leaking out from under the truck in the front. Hard to tell where it's coming from but I want to say it's the passenger side front. I'm guessing it's the master cylinder or one of the lines collapsed. One of my buddies just told me that these trucks are notorious for that. I dunno the best way to describe the color of the fluid...pear colored.
    Did you have any brakes at all? I was under the impression the brake system was divided up on purpose.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Master cylinder is on the drivers side. I'd guess a brake hose, caliper, or hard line blew. The hard lines usually get rusty and blow in the rear of the truck but it could happen in the front.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Then it's not the cylinder since the dripping is on the passenger side. I had a little bit of braking left.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I'd guess a brake hose, caliper, or hard line blew. .
    One of these. Pull the wheel off, probably pretty easy to spot. If it was the flex hose, replace them both up front. The system may need to be bled with the tech2 at a dealership if the antilock unit gets airlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    One of these. Pull the wheel off, probably pretty easy to spot. If it was the flex hose, replace them both up front. The system may need to be bled with the tech2 at a dealership if the antilock unit gets airlocked.
    Thanks, going to make some calls today.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I have a 2001 silverado with only 78,000. My brakes went out 2 years ago completely to the floor. The hard brake lines outside the truck, under the drivers seat, next to the frame rails were completely gone. I 100% recommend changing all the lines out, they are probably close to being gone also. Got a pre bent, pre made, stainless steel brake line set from summit racing. The only hard part was getting up over the fuel tank. Just need to loosen the bolts that hold in place a lil bit to get it to drop a tad. Most of the job was a breeze after removing both front inner fender liners. A buddy of mine with a 2005 Silverado, with only 45,000 on the clock had the same issue!! What a BS way to do things on something as important as brake lines!!! Way to go GM. WTF?
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

if you get to looking for it you should be able to find it fast with the help of some one to push the pedal for you. I would think its a soft line but you never know. I would say look at getting the ss braided lines they help with baking in a truck this size. I have a 01 d-max and that's what I run.
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

Thank you all for the info. I like to avoid the stealerships as much as possible, so I'm dropping the truck off at a small shop in town on Monday evening. A friend of mine has SS braided lines that I'm going to pick up on Saturday.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Master cylinder is on the drivers side. I'd guess a brake hose, caliper, or hard line blew. The hard lines usually get rusty and blow in the rear of the truck but it could happen in the front.
    I see it just as often up front as the back out here. Especially by the left front shock tower

$900 to repair, about what I expected. At least it'll be taken care of.

Thread Information