Thread: My SCCA Journey

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

My SCCA Journey

So its finally time to start putting all the road course stuff together...spent the weekend in Bowling Green, KY at the new road course track learning how all this stuff works and now its time to start getting the car ready for the track.

Stay tuned...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed.

Black / White

So my first official track night is supposed to be at NCM in Bowling Green, KY next week but it looks like it might get rained out so I'm playing it by ear at this point. I talked to a few of the instructors I will be working with and they told me to keep my car as is for the first event because I'm familiar with it "makes sense" and I'll know when its trying to break loose etc. My tires are in line with what is approved by SCCA so I'll run it as is as long as it doesnt rain and then start throwing parts at it after I figure out which group I want to run with on a regular basis.

The group I'm leaning towards is the Classic American Muscle Contemporary "CAM-C" class. The engine and suspension mods are unrestricted which makes life really easy since I dont have to follow a specific spec...the CAM-C includes both road course and autocross so I'll be doing a solid mix of both.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Still on stock rear?

The major weakness for AutoX is the c clips. AutoX puts a hell of a load on them. It was one of the reasons I went with 9" housing ends for my 8.8 rear.

BTW Pat I'm also interested in this too, will be following this thread.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Still on stock rear?

The major weakness for AutoX is the c clips. AutoX puts a hell of a load on them. It was one of the reasons I went with 9" housing ends for my 8.8 rear.

BTW Pat I'm also interested in this too, will be following this thread.
    Yea I'm still on the stock 10 bolt and I'm going to just run it into the ground. I'm buttoning it up as much as I can but I'm not going to bend over backwards to make it something it isn't either...seriously considering 4.10's now which I can do fairly cheap knowing it'll probably be the ultimate death of my 10bolt but I want the low end acceleration for corner exiting.

Navy Blue Metallic

I can say having 4.10's in the 8.8 = what a different feel of the car. Damn thing just moves out and I'm not even banging gears yet, just going through break in. I can't believe how fast it get's moving. Grant it, it's been a while since I drove it and it has way more power then before but still, it can make you giddy. My daughter went for a short ride on Sunday and and she goes "Dad I can feel it in my stomach like I do on roller coasters."

I need to have someone drive next to me so I can verify my speedometer is correct. It just feels like I'm moving too slow for what the it says.

I'm not sure if my tuner change to the correct gear.

Black / White

Getting ready to relocate my battery to the back of the car...I have to secure it regardless so I figured why not just go ahead and move it to the back and get it over with. Found a relocation kit I'm going to order and hopefully I'll be able to knock it out this weekend.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 06-10-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

What are the benefits of this? Out side of a true drag racing (for setup of battery cutoff)?

Honestly I would just take a piece of 1.5" to 2" flat 18guage sheet of metal and bend it to secure the battery using the hold down nut and one of the nuts off the headlight. Also spray it with a coat of rubberized paint.

I also took mine for a spin and confirm my speedo is off by 10 mph.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    What are the benefits of this? Out side of a true drag racing (for setup of battery cutoff)?

Honestly I would just take a piece of 1.5" to 2" flat 18guage sheet of metal and bend it to secure the battery using the hold down nut and one of the nuts off the headlight. Also spray it with a coat of rubberized paint.

I also took mine for a spin and confirm my speedo is off by 10 mph.
    The main benefit is that it balances the car a little more...doesn't seem like much but our cars are pretty light in the rear end and when the driver is in the car the weight is a little biased towards the front left. The cars are about 55/45 weight distribution from the factory so if you can move one or two things to the rear of the car you can get it pretty close to 50/50.

Navy Blue Metallic

I see.

Thread Information