Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Best way to dry your car after a wash?

From my understanding, the majority of swirl marks come from drying. What have you detail freaks found to be the best and safest way to dry your car after a wash?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

My favorite way is get in and drive as fast as I can.....

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    My favorite way is get in and drive as fast as I can.....
    I use that method with my truck! I use the auto wash right before getting on the freeway. On a good day, my truck will hit 86mph.

But the WS6 doesn't go through any machine wash, and the speed limit is 15 mph in my neck of the woods

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Get the car up to 88 mph and that should dry it off

WARNING: The flux capacitor has to be in the off position before attempting to dry your car this way.

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Get the car up to 88 mph and that should dry it off

WARNING: The flux capacitor has to be in the off position before attempting to dry your car this way.
    Do I need to watch out for barns?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I know you guys are just being funny, but I've tried it in the past and it doesn't work. I used to live one block from a highway. I washed and took it out on the highway for a ways and came back. There was still a lot of wet spots on the hatch and in "grooves/corners". And the water around the taillights would come pouring out after I stopped. And the back would get dusty going down the road so I didn't want to dry then.

I have a real and an imitation chamois. Only use in straight lines.

BTW Not a detailing expert. I always thought swirl marks came from washing.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Micro fiber towels or true 100% real deal cotton towels.

Do NOT wash and dry them with any type of fabric softener. It will actually cause issues with your paint in the long run...you would think that since they are softer it would be better but the chemicals in fabric softener are bad juju for paint.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I use Cobra waffle weave microfiber guzzler towels. Dry just about the entire car and only have to do one pass with it. Usually only have to wring it out a few times. Have a smaller one to go over any panels that aren't completely dried the first time. Korean microfiber is some of the best out there.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Best way to dry your car after a wash?

leaf blower! electric one.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Black & pewter
    2002 Formula & 1999 TA

I use the water blade to get most of the water off and then when I get home I use a microfiber towel to finish drying it off.

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nathan c View Post
    I use the water blade to get most of the water off and then when I get home I use a microfiber towel to finish drying it off.
    We have one of those in the garage, I've just always been concerned about a "hard" material being dragged across the surface.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

black cars are the worst.....they look the best clean but it takes about twice as much work to get them there as the lighter colors. I normally wash mine and dry it with a combination of a shammy, waffle towel, and cotton towels. Just seems I need the combo of them all to get it dry. Even still I use a spray detailer and a couple microfiber towels right after to go back over the car to get any of the spots that I either missed or dried before I could get to them. Just washing my car is a several hour experience and one of the reasons I dread doing that shit these days. I used to not mind it but after 15+ years it just seems like tedious work these days.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    leaf blower! electric one.
    This is the best way. I do it all the time but its kinda silly looking, drying your car with a electric leaf blower so when you do this make sure not too many people can see you.

Black / White

And you need a California duster...it'll save you from washing your car all of the time.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nathan c View Post
    One of the worst things to use on paint. They scratch the paint.

Also I would recommend to not use the brushes at a coin op. Those will scratch the paint.

This is a good video. If you have a good layer of wax or sealant you can sheet the water as seen about the 1:36 mark.

As far as drying media I would get a couple of these. Either one would work fine.

The Edgeless Avalanche 20 x 40 Super Plush Drying Towel | The Rag Company

Dry Me A River Jr. 20 x 40 Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel | The Rag Company
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Here you go. The ultimate washing and drying guide.

Washing and Drying Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image

I've used a good ole' fassion shammy all my life, keep one in every car just in case a wash is required during a road trip.

Works just fine for me. On the darker color cars, especially black, I might go back over it when it's dry with a little spray detailer and a micro fiber towel. But I find as long as I keep a good coat of wax on it, the shammy dries it just fine and the micro fiber/detailer step isn't always necessary.

After 2-3 washes, I need to apply wax again. I also find (in dusty Arizona) that using the California dusters are daily routine to keep from having to wash the car too often. The problem with the California dusters is that they leave parafin wax behind on the paint (that's how the duster picks up dust) but unfortunately this parafin wax left behind simply attracts more dust on the car even faster. So generally after a session with the duster to get the majority of the dust off, I go back over the car with a spray detailer and micro fiber towel to remove the parafin wax. The car stays dust free much longer this way.

Unfortunately it's simply a ton of work to keep a nice paint job on a car that's driven at all.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Have you considered switching to a sealant rather than a wax? A sealant doesn't attract dust as much as a carnauba wax. They also last longer and are more durable.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Have you considered switching to a sealant rather than a wax? A sealant doesn't attract dust as much as a carnauba wax. They also last longer and are more durable.
    thats a damn good recommendation...I've been playing around with sealants lately and they are legit. I can see why people are using them more and more.

Actually, In the very near future, I'm simply going back to 2 classic daily drivers in primer and the heck with paint. Even my wife wants hers that way. Less worries about everything, including door dings and rock chips That way all the nice stuff just stays in the garage and only comes out when needed, or when I feel ambitious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information