Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Lots of choices... I am still interested in the M/T Street Comps. Is that one that you looked at?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have not. I did get my M/T ET Streets from Amazon so I know they do carry that brand.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was leaning towards the Nitto NT555, but am trying to get feedback on the noise level of them. Some reviews rate them good while others moderate. Nitto has them rated as "above average" for quiteness. I don't want a tire that'll be loud.

Jeff - amazon has the Street Comps for under $150 and free shipping. I like the look of the tire, especially the side wall. I haven't had time to read reviews yet though except this one, which now almost has me sold on going this direction.

http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/reviewing-mickey-thompsons-new-street-comp-uhp-tire/

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I was leaning towards the Nitto NT555, but am trying to get feedback on the noise level of them. Some reviews rate them good while others moderate. Nitto has them rated as "above average" for quiteness. I don't want a tire that'll be loud.

Jeff - amazon has the Street Comps for under $150 and free shipping. I like the look of the tire, especially the side wall. I haven't had time to read reviews yet though except this one, which now almost has me sold on going this direction.

Reviewing Mickey Thompson's New Street Comp UHP Tire - LSXTV
    Just think of it this way, if you think the tires are too loud, it probably means that the exhaust and the supercharger are too quiet.

So far, I am loving my Continental Extremecontact DW tires (not DWS).Lots of grip and pretty mild mannered when its not being pushed.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I run kuhmo ecsta asx on the front of mine and they've did great up there. I was worried about how they would wear not being able to rotate them properly since they're fronts only but I've had them up there for years without an issue on wear. To be honest with you I have no idea how old those tires are or how many miles are on them I would have to try and dig up the paperwork on the tire. I would guess 10 years old and maybe 10k miles? Total guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Lol. Yea, I thought about noise after the fact and I can't hear myself think for the most part in my car so it's likely not an issue...unless a tire was so noisey it emitted that vibration you can feel from the tire design itself (like some aggressive truck tire tread designs).

I'm really digging the M/T Street Comps now and would like the overall appearance of M/T on both front and back of the car. I think having a different brand up front might bug me (maybe).

I don't think anyone here has experience with the Street Comps though? As mentioned, I already bought Mickey Thompson ET Streets for the rear, just haven't installed them yet.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have those Continental tires on my Impala and they are indeed a great tire. Hmmm.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I run kuhmo ecsta asx on the front of mine and they've did great up there. I was worried about how they would wear not being able to rotate them properly since they're fronts only but I've had them up there for years without an issue on wear. To be honest with you I have no idea how old those tires are or how many miles are on them I would have to try and dig up the paperwork on the tire. I would guess 10 years old and maybe 10k miles? Total guess.
    As far as the age of the tire, the manufacturer date code is on the outer side wall.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jon just make sure if you use radials in front the back are also radials. Mixing doesn't do so wheel on street or track.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-20-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jon just make sure if you use radials in front the back are also radials. Mix does do so wheel on street or track.
    Can you elaborate on this.

Navy Blue Metallic

Sorry had to correct my post above.

DR's are radial ply tires and slicks are usually bias. It comes down to air pressure and side wall wear. Bias ply wear faster then radials and have a softer side wall. Bias don't handle street use very well either.

(I know it's from a Mustang Fanboy site but the info is still good.)

DOT Drag Radials 101: What You Need to Know About Drag Radials - StangTV

My father runs the MT street comps on the front of his GTO. He runs drag radials full time on the rear, and he wanted their front tires that matched. It's a radial and as far as I know he likes them. His only gripe is that for his application they don't make the tire any taller than 27" in a radial, and he would have had to go bias ply for anything taller.
    Other than that, nice tire, tread sort of mimics the drag radial, looks good on the car.

As far as MT's go, any of their tires, I find them to be right at the top with other good brand name tires. Their drag radials are the most popular in many of the drag racing classes, and their off road tires are some of the best out there. I've had a set of MT Baja Claws bias ply's on the back of my sand rail for 30 years. They wear like stones, they've been sliced and diced through creek beds and still no punctures or signs of giving up. I have no reason to change them. Hell of a tire.

Edit: Correction, I went back and looked at pics, it's the MT "Sportsman" Radial front runners that he went with on his car.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-20-2015 at 08:28 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

since we're talking tires......ever heard of anyone running the hoosier dot drag radials on the street? Pretty sure they're not legal but that's never stopped people before.

Navy Blue Metallic

It sure as hell doesn't around here...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    since we're talking tires......ever heard of anyone running the hoosier dot drag radials on the street? Pretty sure they're not legal but that's never stopped people before.
    They have a DOT rating and they aren't street legal?? I used to run a set of M&H Racemasters on the street waaaay back before anyone ever invented a street legal drag radial. The M&H Racemasters basically just had 2 straight line grooves on the contact surface, used tubes, and I screwed them to the rims. It was an excellent Saturday night street tire at the time
    The last set of "illegal" tires I bought before drag radials were invented are a set of old Goodyear 28x9 full blown slicks on tubes and screwed to the rims, used to toss them on and drive on the street on the weekends. I still have those sitting here. Worn and old now but they still hold air and work decent for a little fun.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

According to the site on Amazon selling them, the M/T Sport Comp in a 245 40R17 doesn't fit my car. News to me considering I'm currently running a Nitto 555R Drag Radial on the rear in that exact size and stock size wheels/tires for the 2002 Camaro SS are 17x9 and 245 40R17's.

I checked on M/T's site and they say the Street Comps can be applied to rim widths between 9-11"?

Navy Blue Metallic

I have a buddy using the Nitto NT05's, likes them but is considering trying the MT Street Comps this time around.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I heard good things about them too for moderate power levels. I'm thinking the ET Streets will blow any Nitto out of the water as far as grip though.

Navy Blue Metallic

I just talked with 2 local guys and the ET STreets is what they're using, one his Turbo 5.3 Trans Am and the other is a Nitrous Cammed car with 9" Wavetrac rear. Been in that one and it hooks like a SOB'...damn near toss me in the back with the t tops store.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the ET Streets in my basement ready to be mounted and plan to abuse the 9" thoroughly with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information