Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Rim Width vs. Tire Width and Performance

I'm wondering some things about tires and rims.

Let's say I want to run a staggered set up (narrower front tires), but on the same size wheel. How does the width of the rim affect the performance of the tire. For example, if I put a 275 tire on a 9.5-inch wheel, will it behave the same as if I put it on a 10-inch or 10.5 inch wheel?

I figure the profile will be narrower on a wider wheel (since it's "stretched" out more), but after the weight of the vehicle and the load placed on the suspension/tire are taken into account, will it behave differently?

I understand that a wider (side to side) contact patch is better for "handling" while a longer (front to rear) contact patch is better for straight line performance (braking/accelerating), so maybe there is some insight that can be gleaned from that...

But does anyone know how/whether wheel width affects the performance of a given tire?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

275 on a 10-10.5 inch wheel will stretch it a little and make it look like the rim is sticking out. 275 fits just about perfect on a 9-9.5 and looks good. It wont necessarily behave differently but it'll look different than the front wheels. I prefer my sidewalls to be just about flush with the side of the wheel and have a small amount of over lap so it doesnt look like this.

A 275 wont look quite like that, but you get the idea...I'd rather have the wheel recessed a little bit than sticking out.

This is the look I prefer...rims and wheels are pretty much flush with maybe a tad bit of sidewall sticking out but not too much.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

These are Nitto 555's 275R17 45 on 17"x9" wheels.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

Click for full size

Click for full size
    thats a great example. I was trying to find some pictures to show him what a 275 looks like on a 9-9.5 so he can get an idea of what a 10-10.5 would look like. Just wont be as flush...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic

My next rear set will be 295R1745.

Just want a little more meat on the back. The fronts have 255R1745

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Click for full size

Click for full size
    I think you have some inner-quarter rub in that first picture.

Aside from the differences in appearance, the amount of tread contact with the ground changes. For every +/- .5 inch of wheel width difference from the manufacture tested wheel width (ie. Most manufacturers teat 275/40/17's dimensions on a 9.5" width wheel), the tread contact width changes ~.2".

Off the top of my head, Gyrs F1 GSD3 in a 275/40/17's tread width, tested on a 9.5" wheel is 9.4". That tire mounted on a factory WS6 or SS wheel (17x9) measures 9.2. On a 10" wide wheel, it should have 9.6" tread width. Your results may vary

Navy Blue Metallic

those were just installed, brand new tires in that pic.

I measured them once installed and had almost 2" to the inside well and even more top clearance.

I can easily go to 305 size if I had the wheels to do so on the back.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

those were just installed, brand new tires in that pic.

I measured them once installed and had almost 2" to the inside well and even more top clearance.

I can easily go to 305 size if I had the wheels to do so on the back.
    I know, I was funnin' ya'. The first picture is the wheels and tires in you SUV, and they were up against the quarter trim panels. (Ie rubbing)

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I think you have some inner-quarter rub in that first picture.

Aside from the differences in appearance, the amount of tread contact with the ground changes. For every +/- .5 inch of wheel width difference from the manufacture tested wheel width (ie. Most manufacturers teat 275/40/17's dimensions on a 9.5" width wheel), the tread contact width changes ~.2".

Off the top of my head, Gyrs F1 GSD3 in a 275/40/17's tread width, tested on a 9.5" wheel is 9.4". That tire mounted on a factory WS6 or SS wheel (17x9) measures 9.2. On a 10" wide wheel, it should have 9.6" tread width. Your results may vary
    Okay. So, I'm trying to decide between doing the same size tire on all 4 corners vs having a staggered set up. I figure if I can put the same size wheel on all 4 corners, I might be able to experiment with different tire sizes within a certain range. But I'm not interested in the "stretched" look at all. In fact, it's not even about the "looks" (but I certainly don't want anything that looks silly/ricer/bling etc). Just wondering if there is a performance sacrifice by using a narrower or wider wheel than whatever is the "standard" wheel size for a given tire size.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Navy Blue Metallic

Part of the reason guys put wider tires out back is for more traction off the line. More tire meat = more surface contact.

Now if you were planning do autox you'll want more sidewall and tires closer to each other in size.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Part of the reason guys put wider tires out back is for more traction off the line. More tire meat = more surface contact.

Now if you were planning do autox you'll want more sidewall and tires closer to each other in size.
    I'd argue that autocrossers would want less sidewall because they would have less flex and be more responsive. I do agree with them wanting the same size (or pretty close).

Staggered is to reduce friction/ rolling resistance of the front to eat up less power to move the car. Good for drag racers, bad for street cars and cars that want to brake or turn.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Okay. So, I'm trying to decide between doing the same size tire on all 4 corners vs having a staggered set up. I figure if I can put the same size wheel on all 4 corners, I might be able to experiment with different tire sizes within a certain range. But I'm not interested in the "stretched" look at all. In fact, it's not even about the "looks" (but I certainly don't want anything that looks silly/ricer/bling etc). Just wondering if there is a performance sacrifice by using a narrower or wider wheel than whatever is the "standard" wheel size for a given tire size.
    I would go with 4 tires that are the, same if not very close in, size for a daily driver or car that turns.

As far as the wheel size and tires go, think about the amount amount power and current handling abilities the car has to deal with and go from there, stock engined, poor chasis cars wont necessarily benefit from a really wide wheel tire combo. Wider wheels and tires weigh more, add drag and unsprung weight to the powertainand require more power/effort to move the car.

Narrower wheels/tires are the opposite, but dont offer as much traction and stability.

To the very least, I would recommend going a bit wider on the wheel and tires, than what it came with, but not insane steamrollers, unless it really needs it. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, from what I understand, narrower front tires provide for better steering response than wider ones. I have not been able to compare the difference on the same car with different tire set ups, though, so it's all a gamble.

From other research I've done, there is an "appropriate" tire size for each wheel size, so putting on other size tires alters the performance of the tire. Most likely I'll go with a similar stagger to what I have now, unless it turns out that the car does better on a square set up.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I've been doing some research on this. Apparently, the tire width does correspond to an ideal wheel width. According to what I've learned, the tire's tread width (not the actual width of the tire itself) should match up exactly (or just less than) the wheel width. For a 275/35/18, this means that the wheel should be 10 inches wide, ideally, since the tread width is 10 inches (note, tread width is 10" for this size tire, even though 275mm is 10.8 inches; tread width is a separate spec from the dimensions of the tire). Basically, I now understand what Wamhammer was saying (it went right over my head when he posted it).

If the tread width is greater than the wheel width, the tire will flex or "squirm" at its limit, since its side wall is loaded more on a narrower wheel.

So... can anyone tell me whether a 10-inch wide wheel (with 275/35/18s) will fit up front with Strano Springs (1.2" lowered) and Koni Shocks? What else do I need to consider?
    Last edited by Naaman; 03-29-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Up front is easy. Out back is where it gets tough. Usually the bump stop gets in the way or the wheel wells need to be modified. At 275/35/18 your fine. I run 295/35/18 and have tons of room up front still. If I lower the car I will probably need to modify the bump stops some in the rear. Other then that I still have a pretty good chunk of room back there. 305 and wider is where people tend to get in trouble but it's still mainly in the back. With the tire being a 35 the overall height of the wheel and tire are still pretty close to the same as stock.
    Last edited by raynor139; 03-30-2015 at 02:11 AM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Our cars aren't corvettes. Which were designed with staggered in mind. So unless your drag racing the car I would put the same size at all 4 corners it will drive/handle a whole lot nicer.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Wait, are you saying that I'll have trouble with 275/35/18 on the back, but not the front? I would have thought that they would fit just fine on the back. I'm running 275/40/17 on the back right now. The 275/35/18s are actually shorter (from top to bottom) than the 17s, if I'm not mistaken. ???

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

No I was giving examples of what sizes would cause problems. You would have to have at least 10.5 to start having issues. 305 on a 10.5 or 11 is where most people see issies. Alot has to deal with wheel width too. I'm running 10.5 wheels and I had to grind my bump stops down some since they were catching a little on the wheel. But that depends on the wheel too. Seen plenty of TA owners have no issues at all running 10.5 width wheels. If your gonna run a 9 or 9.5 wheel with the 275 your perfectly fine.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Okay. I was thinking about 18x10 all the way around with 275/35/18 tires.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

According to Michelin:

Quote Originally Posted by Michelin Website
    The rim width range is extremely important. This range represents proper rim widths that will assist the tire/wheel assembly in meeting its performance potential. To achieve the best balance between ride, handling and tread wear, select a rim width in the middle of the manufacturer’s range.

To improve cornering traction and steering response, choose a rim at or near the maximum recommended width. The wider the rim width, the straighter the sidewall and the quicker the steering response. Conversely, using a rim width at the low end of the range will cause the tire to balloon or curve out, slowing steering response.

Refer to our website for tire specifications.
    For the size I want, Michelin seems to be saying that an 11" rim width will result in the best handling/steering response, as this is the widest rim on which 275/35/18 will fit properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information