Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

275 on 11 inch will work and will handle pretty good. But it will look stretched. Like I've said before my 295 looks too stretched on my 10.5 wheel at least for my taste.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Hmmm.... I'm wondering whether the model of tire affects the "stretch," since not all tires of a given size sport identical dimensions.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

A lot of manufacturers have a slight difference in width on the same sizes. The effect would be minimal.

An 11in rim out back would be overkill imo for a 275 tire. Plus as stated before depending on offset it may catch the bump stop. My 17x11 would catch right within the lip on bump stop.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, I think I'll probably go with 10" all the way around, but I still haven't found out whether that set up (275/35/18) will fit on a 10" wheel on the front of my car. It's lowered on Strano springs (about 1.2").

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    According to Michelin:

For the size I want, Michelin seems to be saying that an 11" rim width will result in the best handling/steering response, as this is the widest rim on which 275/35/18 will fit properly.
    Im surprised that the suggested that size would fit on an 11"

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

What...? How can they say that a 275 best fit is an 11 inch wheel...? Is Michelin pro ricer stance or something??
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I like being able to rotate tires from front to back and vice versa. With different wheel and tire sizes from front to back, you cannot do that.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Meanwhile at Michelin headquarters...

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I was looking at my current tires today. 275/40/17 on 9.5" rims. The look like "normal" wheels/tires are supposed to look. I wouldn't mind going with a 9.5", although I'm wondering what I'd be "missing" if I went with a 10." But, if I can't confirm that 10" will fit up front with 275s on 18" wheels, then I'll just go with the 9.5" instead.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have 18x10.5 up front with 295 width tires. Front is easier to fit wider wheels and tires then the rear. Required no modifications at all. In the rear I had to grind the bump stops down.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

10.5 up front? Stock ride height or are you lowered at all? I'm lowered about 1.2".

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Stock height. But already measured for lowering and still have plenty of room. In fact lowering will be my next item on the list since the size of the gaps are driving me nuts.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    What...? How can they say that a 275 best fit is an 11 inch wheel...? Is Michelin pro ricer stance or something??
    I thought the same thing the first time I saw that. Then started reading posts on other forums about autocross/road racing and saw a lot of various cars running setups like that. Looks weird on a muscle/pony car so I wouldn't do it.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I thought the same thing the first time I saw that. Then started reading posts on other forums about autocross/road racing and saw a lot of various cars running setups like that. Looks weird on a muscle/pony car so I wouldn't do it.
    My first question why are they doing it? Having a firm sidewall is great for handling, bit stretching the sidewall enough to comprimise the tires ability to stay mounted when the car hits bumps or heavy cornering pressure is another. Im run ing 245/45/17 snow's on my 17 x 9 WS6 wheels and I think they are somewhat too narrow for that wheel. I wouldnt go more than x 10 on a 275 width for a performance tire.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

After a lot more research on this, I've decided on some TSW Interlagos wheels. They are 18x9. This is a bit of a trade-off because it will mean that a 275 tire will have more flex in the side wall (I guess). But, if I'm not mistaken, the stock wheels are 9 inches wide and mount a 275 tire (?). So I decided to look into doing this set up.

After some research on the types of wheels I have on there now (C4 replicas), I've come to the conclusion that they probably weigh around 26-27 pounds each. The TSWs weigh 18 pounds each. My current tires each weigh 29 pounds, and the Super Sports that I'm shopping for weigh 25 pounds.

So, if I can pull it off (the wheels plus tires comes out to big money), that would be a weight savings of 10+ pounds of unsprung, rotating mass at all four corners.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    After a lot more research on this, I've decided on some TSW Interlagos wheels. They are 18x9. This is a bit of a trade-off because it will mean that a 275 tire will have more flex in the side wall (I guess). But, if I'm not mistaken, the stock wheels are 9 inches wide and mount a 275 tire (?). So I decided to look into doing this set up.

After some research on the types of wheels I have on there now (C4 replicas), I've come to the conclusion that they probably weigh around 26-27 pounds each. The TSWs weigh 18 pounds each. My current tires each weigh 29 pounds, and the Super Sports that I'm shopping for weigh 25 pounds.

So, if I can pull it off (the wheels plus tires comes out to big money), that would be a weight savings of 10+ pounds of unsprung, rotating mass at all four corners.
    Lopping off 40 unsprung pounds should feel like the car lost 160 pounds, you should notice the difference on that one! Are you going with a 35 series tire to keep it close to factory tire height ?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yes, it will be 275/35/18... whenever I scrounge up the money for it... :P

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

My car has 255/40-17 up front ( on the car when I bought it ) and the previous owner put on OE size 275/40-17 tires on the rear. It doesn't look too different but I somewhat believe it was for a staggered look, however I don't know what size tire the previous owner replaced. Could have also been a 255/40. All I know is, i'm putting 275/40 back on when I change them out.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Our cars aren't corvettes. Which were designed with staggered in mind. So unless your drag racing the car I would put the same size at all 4 corners it will drive/handle a whole lot nicer.
    I agree. It sort of looks cool, but if it wasn't designed to run that way, can't quite say I am for it. I'm all for larger wheels/tires on trucks and some cars, but staggered sizing I've never mentally liked.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah. I'm wanting to be able to rotate my tires. Mine came with staggered from the previous owner as well.

My problem is that I've been bitten by a Michelin bug, and now I just don't want anything other than Michelin tires on my car.... and the PSS don't come in 275 for a 17" rim. (Plus, I want rims that actually look good: the C4 sawblades are hideous in my opinion.)

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Finally got my Interlagos (TSWs) installed with the Michelin Super Sports.

It looks like a totally different car...!

When the fronts were installed, the tech notified me that at full lock, the inside of the tire slightly rubbed against the front of the wheel well (I went with 275s up front instead of the 255s that I used to have on there). When he showed me, I couldn't really tell that there was any contact. Whatever. When the tread wears down a little, it won't rub.

The rub may be due to the Strano springs lowering the car a bit... other than that, I'd assume its just too wide a tire.

I'll post pics when I get a chance to take some. Hopefully this coming week. I'll also post impressions once I've put the tires through their paces.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information