Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Maybe I'm being dense but I couldn't find an edit button for the original post. I updated the info a little bit and included more of a parts list. I've decided to go ahead and bore out to 4.030 as it seems to be the consensus and I found rust in cylinders 6 & 8 along with some light scoring when tearing it down anyway.

TSP forged 4" crank
    TSP 6.125 H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
    Mahle -4cc Flat Top Pistons
    King main & rod bearings
    Have the rotating assembly balanced
    PRC As Cast 225cc heads with 68cc chambers and PRC .650" dual springs
    For a cam I was thinking something in the neighborhood of 24x/25x .62x/.61x 112LSA I will have to contact a vendor later for more details on that. Feel free to give some ideas.
    BTR SLR lifters
    ARP Main studs
    ARP head bolts
    ARP cam bolts
    Melling 10296 pump
    LS2 chain
    FAST 92/92 or 92/102 setup
    04+ LS6 valley cover
    Racetronix pump with body ground kit
    Injectors - Not sure on what would work well for these yet, I was looking at the FIC 42# LS series
    If I can fit it in, a Mad Man manual steering rack
    *Powerbond 25% UD pulley

* Items I already have are starred

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

good list however I will suggest only 2 things.

1st - BTR is no longer selling his style of lifters so unless you already have a set or someone is selling them you'll need to look for another brand.

2nd - I would normally suggest staying with LS6 intake however with you boring out to 4.030" a FAST 102 with a 102 TB will be the cherry on the top of this build. That intake was made for this type of build. So I guess I'm saying save for the 102 vs getting a 92.

3rd - wait for the injectors until you pick the cam. You may need to talk with a tuner or builders for recommendations. Depending on the cam with those heads you should be needing higher than a 42lb injector.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    1st - BTR is no longer selling his style of lifters so unless you already have a set or someone is selling them you'll need to look for another brand.
    Apparently the BTR SLR lifters are now available again after being unavailable for so long lol which is why I bought Morels since I was unsure of when or if they would be available again. Oh well I will never have to worry about if my lifters are enough again.

Navy Blue Metallic

403 build - Advice and Opinions

He must have had a huge demand or his supplier got caught up again. Well OP scratch my BTR lifter point. I have them in my build. Just waiting for the first to get a break in tune.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

good list however I will suggest only 2 things.

2nd - I would normally suggest staying with LS6 intake however with you boring out to 4.030" a FAST 102 with a 102 TB will be the cherry on the top of this build. That intake was made for this type of build. So I guess I'm saying save for the 102 vs getting a 92.

3rd - wait for the injectors until you pick the cam. You may need to talk with a tuner or builders for recommendations. Depending on the cam with those heads you should be needing higher than a 42lb injector.
    I never knew that he was out of the lifters at any point. If I have to buy the intake new I will definitely go for the 102 since they are the same price but if I see a 92/92 in the classified somewhere I will probably grab that up.

Navy Blue Metallic

he's down to 6 on hand going for $209. Grab them now if you can

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

he's down to 6 on hand going for $209. Grab them now if you can
    I saw that earlier. Even though I probably won't be doing the build for at least a year I went ahead and placed an order for them. Something to check off the list.

Navy Blue Metallic

That's why my build has taken sooooo looong..... I'd piecemeal my purchases every month on a certain payday. Last time I check I don't poop money and I refuse to take a loan out to get everything at once but be in debt for 2 yrs.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

That's why my build has taken sooooo looong..... I'd piecemeal my purchases every month on a certain payday. Last time I check I don't poop money and I refuse to take a loan out to get everything at once but be in debt for 2 yrs.
    I feel your pain there. That's precisely why it is going to take me a year or two to get this thing built.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Was just looking at the PowerNation Engine Power episodes for Iron Animal where they were building a 408 stroker all with parts ordered from summit and what interested me was the Trick Flow 255 GenX heads. With a FAST 102/102 setup they managed 573 on an engine dyno N/A. Does anyone have experience with these heads or have an opinion on them versus the PRCs? They look pretty nice for the price and if I understand correctly OEM quality powdered metal guides for factory rocker friendly setups.

Here are links to the episodes:
    "Iron Animal" Part 1: Building a 408 Stroker | Engine Power | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

"Iron Animal" Part 2: Flow Bench Testing Heads | Engine Power | PowerNation TV - Full Episodes

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Most up to date list of the build

TSP forged 4" crank
    TSP 6.125 H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
    Mahle -4cc Flat Top Pistons
    King main & rod bearings
    Have the rotating assembly balanced
    TFS LS2 GenX 220cc As Cast with PM guides and milled for 3/8 pushrods
    Martin @Tick has specced me a very nice sounding cam
    *BTR SLR lifters
    ARP Main studs
    ARP head bolts
    ARP cam bolts
    Melling 10296 pump
    LS2 timing set
    FAST LSXR 102 setup
    04+ LS6 valley cover
    Racetronix pump with body ground kit
    Injectors - Not sure on what would work well for these yet, I was looking at the FIC 42# LS series
    If I can fit it in, a Mad Man manual steering rack
    *Powerbond 25% UD pulley

* Items I already have are starred

Navy Blue Metallic

Make sure you have the shop check the main journals for clearance with the ARP Main Studs. Some blocks need a mild line hone while some don't. I got lucky and didn't.

01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Decadence75 View Post
    Martin @Tick has specced me a very nice sounding cam
    Would rather have one that made very nice power....
    They said it wouldnt fit in an fbody....

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Make sure you have the shop check the main journals for clearance with the ARP Main Studs. Some blocks need a mild line hone while some don't. I got lucky and didn't.
    Yep, when I take the block to be dipped and machined I'm going to toque the mains down with the studs and have him check that while there.

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    Would rather have one that made very nice power....
    I probably worded that poorly, haha. I meant that the specs he gave me sounded nice, not just that it was going to sound nice when installed

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Changes to the list:
    Cam specs - 247/254 .624/.595 112+4
    Fast 36lb injectors
    Updated to fast 92 intake
    NW 92 TB

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Adding a FTP 104mm lid and possibly LS3 turned down valves for the heads

Navy Blue Metallic

any updates?

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

any updates?
    Unfortunately not. The only things I have so far are the block, lifters and arp head bolts. Things are progressing much slower than I had originally planned. By the looks of it, might be a couple more years. Unexpected problems keep popping up that chew up the funds a little at a time too. Few months or so ago the lugs sheared off the hub while driving to work and got ripped off by the shop near my office since I needed it fixed while I was at work that day. And then the other day while running some errands the voltage started to drop so I had to boogie on home before it died. I still have to test the alt to see if that is the problem but I suspect that is the cause. Last one I put in, I replaced the PS pump as well to stop it leaking on them. But it that is already happening again I am seriously thinking of ripping the pump out and dealing with a hard to turn car until I can get a manual rack.

Navy Blue Metallic

403 build - Advice and Opinions

Tell me about it...Mine still not running right. I'm in the process of pulling it. Just need the time. I should have it while on Christmas break. Regarding the Alternator....the ps pump problems is why I moved mine to the passenger head. The kit with a new belt was around $165. IMHO worth every penny. Thd alt is easy to work on and no more ps pump leaks killing it. Most likely it's an o ring.

Mine has been making a noise since first test drive. Thought it was a lifter or valve issues. After changing lifters and a complete valve job (which it did need) still making noise. So now I need to tear into the block again.

Once I see what the issue is I'll decide what direction to go.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Tell me about it...Mine still not running right. I'm in the process of pulling it. Just need the time. I should have it while on Christmas break. Regarding the Alternator....the ps pump problems is why I moved mine to the passenger head. The kit with a new belt was around $165. IMHO worth every penny. Thd alt is easy to work on and no more ps pump leaks killing it. Most likely it's an o ring.

Mine has been making a noise since first test drive. Thought it was a lifter or valve issues. After changing lifters and a complete valve job (which it did need) still making noise. So now I need to tear into the block again.

Once I see what the issue is I'll decide what direction to go.
    Man, I would have figured all that mess would have been solved by now. I haven't been keeping up with the forum the past several months. I put in a reman PS pump right at a year ago so I was hoping it would last a little longer than this before leaking again. I remember seeing your relocation of the alt and I like the mod, I just would have to figure out what to do with the catch can I have in that location. Although I am not sure it is worth spending the money on for me since I do have plans to go manual rack anyway. I just don't know when that will be with how pricey they are.

Good luck in tracking down the noise and getting it taken care of.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information