Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Convertible Noises

This thread would probably get more notice in the General section but....

Does anyone's convertible top "squeak" or "creek" when it's operating? I noticed a creeky/squeaky noise as I was raising the top today, and it sounds just like what I've always thought was a suspension noise that I've had for a few months now.

Now I'm wondering if chassis flex during tight turns or bumpy surfaces can cause the convertible top's mechanical components to squeak...

The sound sounds as if its coming from inside the rear fender area (where the top goes when it's down). But difficult to pinpoint from the driver seat.

Jouncing the car does not reproduce the squeak. I am having the suspension refreshed next week (springs/bushings). If no-one knows the answer to this, I'll post up my results after the work is done.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Mine has never made any noise. I am guess that's because the car is always garage and not out in the elements.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Interesting. I don't know exactly what it looks like in there, but do you imagine that changes in temperature/moisture overnight and throughout the day are what might be causing the components to change size/shape slightly?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Not on mine but I have heard top mechanisms on other cars that squeak and creak as they operate. Each joint creates friction and will result in bare metal that can eventually rust. Most likely you just have some corrosion in one or more of the folding joints. You can probably track it down by carefully using some spray lube or a very small oil can to put a couple of drops on each joint you can get to to see if the squeaking goes away. Also check the pivot points where the hydraulic lift cylinders attach. If you use any kind of spray around the top be sure to cover the opposite side and as much surrounding area as you can with a towel to prevent anything from getting on the top fabric. There are also cables that run along the side to pivot points that could be rubbing or causing extra friction. Let us know what you find.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Going up and down is the only time I don't have rattles and squeaks in my car. Lower the top a little at a time and look down in the compartment where it folds. You could have sticks or leaves in there. Its also good to clear out the drain holes at the bottom.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Oh, cool. I'll look into this! I got the car back on Tues after the suspension work was done. I noticed the squeak during top operation, but many of the squeaks and creeks seem to be gone (could also be the warm-ish weather we're having lately).

Thread Information