Thread: 460LE lifespan?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

460LE lifespan?

I had my car since it had 43k miles on it. I had changed the tranny fluid every 40k at the shop. The car has 135k now. The tranny shifts and works great. I'm just wondering if I should start saving money to get it service because of it's age. I have heard after 150k almost any transmission will need service. Any true to this? Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've heard that to, I believe it's just the average. It really comes down to how much/hard you use it. If in your shoes I would start. On the first I'm getting the parts for my stage II build for my T56. I was starting to have issues when the motor

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Also my son's Blazer has that transmission and it's got 169,000 on it and it has 0 issues. And that motor was seriously abused by previous owners.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Lots of automatics go north of 150,000 without any issues. Heat and lack of regular fluid and filter changes are the biggest killers. Granted, the 4L60E does have some weak points, but it takes a heavy foot to usually make them appear.

Taking good care of it and it should last many more miles. Personally I change my tranny fluid at much sooner intervals but if it's working for you and looking good when it's drained with little to no sediment in the bottom of the pan, then continue

My father has a 91 pickup he bought new, throttle body 350 with a 700R4 that has 300k miles on it and the engine/trans has never been apart. He's towed with it for years (open trailer with a car) and that old 700 still works just fine, runs like a top. I tend to consider the old 700 a lesser trans than the 4L60 since they have had slight upgrades throughout the years.

Thread Information