2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Do the new GT Mustangs really suck this bad?

I was racing at Houston Raceway last weekend, and it was the first time I had been to the track since last Spring when I had my Mach 1, back when there were not any new GT's on the track yet.

There were at least 4 or 5 new GT's running the other night, and the fastest one I saw was 14.19 at 100.xx. The rest of them were in the 14.3-15.0 range.

The drivers looked decent, with little spin and no missed shifts.

The air was good and the track was hooking well.

Everyone else looked to be running decent. There were several LS2 GTO's and the stock ones were running mid to low 13's. Same with the close to
    stock Fbodies.

I was running 12.0's with my stock Z06 on drag radials, and I was having trouble getting the car into 4th because of the clutch.. I would have run well into the 11's with a clean run.

I read these magazines that claim mid to high 13's and Evan Smith claimed a 13.39 out of a bone stock M5 GT. It's my experience that he usually represents what a good driver will do in the real world more so than Car & Driver, Motor Trend, ect..

None of these cars were gonna run a 13.3 without some decent mods or a 100 shot...

What do you guys see them running?

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

For the record, I'm not trying to stir shit here, I'm just asking.

I've always been a GM guy, but I like Mustangs also.

I had a Mach 1, and you guys see me on here all the time defending their performance because I know first hand what they can do..

I don't care either way if the new GT's don't run for shit.. I'm just curious if that was the norm, or did I see the V6 club out there running with GT emblems just to fuck with people's minds?

Torrid Red
    05 GTO

I race my girlfriends 05 GT all the time and win every time. They are quick at the take off, but dont have much top end.

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Most of the guys I correspond with have been running from 13.4 to around 13.9 or so. 14's and up are usually the beginners at the track. At least that's my experience with times.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

I took a friend's stock 05 GT 5 spd down the 1320 and netted a 13.8X @ 101.XX first run, feeling the car out and a 13.50 @ 103.XX the second...if I took another pass or two, it felt like it had at least 30 in it...I was driving it kinda easy...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jking
    For the record, I'm not trying to stir shit here, I'm just asking.

I've always been a GM guy, but I like Mustangs also.

I had a Mach 1, and you guys see me on here all the time defending their performance because I know first hand what they can do..

I don't care either way if the new GT's don't run for shit.. I'm just curious if that was the norm, or did I see the V6 club out there running with GT emblems just to fuck with people's minds?
    When I had my 01 Cobra, I saw several v6's with everything but the Cobra drivetrain (I know you have seen them on ebay), and I am sure they got beaten from pillar to post by slow ass cars. I had people who would jump on me with nothing, and get blown away. Nothing burns my ass more than a pretender. If you got a V6 that makes as much or more power than a Z28 or SS, then by all means trick it out with the badges and all, but if you can't run with the big dogs, then don't dress like one.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by jking
    I was racing at Houston Raceway last weekend, and it was the first time I had been to the track since last Spring when I had my Mach 1, back when there were not any new GT's on the track yet.

There were at least 4 or 5 new GT's running the other night, and the fastest one I saw was 14.19 at 100.xx. The rest of them were in the 14.3-15.0 range.

The drivers looked decent, with little spin and no missed shifts.

The air was good and the track was hooking well.

Everyone else looked to be running decent. There were several LS2 GTO's and the stock ones were running mid to low 13's. Same with the close to
    stock Fbodies.

I was running 12.0's with my stock Z06 on drag radials, and I was having trouble getting the car into 4th because of the clutch.. I would have run well into the 11's with a clean run.

I read these magazines that claim mid to high 13's and Evan Smith claimed a 13.39 out of a bone stock M5 GT. It's my experience that he usually represents what a good driver will do in the real world more so than Car & Driver, Motor Trend, ect..

None of these cars were gonna run a 13.3 without some decent mods or a 100 shot...

What do you guys see them running?
    Um, 4-5 drivers on a T&T night and one might be a good driver? Tires? Did you see a bone stock F-body or 03/04 Cobra run for comparison? I watched a dude in an 05 GTO run high 9's at Shadyside Deragway in NC. I never questioned the car. I think with a few bolt-ons and tires these cars are touching 12's. I skip over the 05 GT stuff in mags.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    When I had my 01 Cobra, I saw several v6's with everything but the Cobra drivetrain (I know you have seen them on ebay), and I am sure they got beaten from pillar to post by slow ass cars. I had people who would jump on me with nothing, and get blown away. Nothing burns my ass more than a pretender. If you got a V6 that makes as much or more power than a Z28 or SS, then by all means trick it out with the badges and all, but if you can't run with the big dogs, then don't dress like one.
    Preach on! I see that alot as well man...

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

My buddy has a 05 GT he got it down to a 13.8 and that is spinning pretty bad. I think it will run mid 13's with me driving.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped03
    Um, 4-5 drivers on a T&T night and one might be a good driver? Tires? Did you see a bone stock F-body or 03/04 Cobra run for comparison? I watched a dude in an 05 GTO run high 9's at Shadyside Deragway in NC. I never questioned the car. I think with a few bolt-ons and tires these cars are touching 12's. I skip over the 05 GT stuff in mags.
    I guess they were all shitty drivers. Certainly possible. Magazines usually don't represent what the cars will actually do in the real world, but I knew that they were running faster than what I saw that night, which was odd.

Like I said in my original post, the stock, or close to stock Fbodies were running right where they should, right along beside the LS2 GTO's in the mid to low 13's.

I raced a stock 03'Cobra and murdered him. I'm not sure what he ran.

I also got to race an 03' Cobra with a CAI, tune, exhuast and DR's. It was a close race, but I beat him too. I talked to him after, and he was a mechanic at a Chevy dealer. Pretty cool guy and a damn good race. I got him by maybe 2 lengths running a 12.0x.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem

I was being sarcastic about the V6 club..

These were V8 cars. I don't know what the problem was..

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

ive seem them run high 13s at the track.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

same here, high 13s

the only one i ever saw at the track was running low 14's.. i test drove one and they dont feel anything like the 04 gt's w/ the svt 40th anniversary package. those were badd ass gt's, but the 05gt i drove felt slow as hell after the take off.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by sid2387
    the only one i ever saw at the track was running low 14's.. i test drove one and they dont feel anything like the 04 gt's w/ the svt 40th anniversary package. those were badd ass gt's, but the 05gt i drove felt slow as hell after the take off.
    ....wow

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

I was at our local track friday and saw a few newer gt's in the low 13's.

been there done it 13.78 @102 5speed stock at hrp. sold car at 5000 miles . my 01 bullitt ran 13.95@101 stck .not impressive for the claimed 300 hp. my 99 z28 ran 13.39 @106 stock go figure.good looking cars but not 1/4 mile beasts ., but probably ford doesnt care if they sell goodl

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

I race at HRP and have seen the same GT's you are talking about the best i have seen there is 14.1@98 Well, I guess Ford finaly got to the level of a 1993 Z28 13 years late!!!!!!!!!!
    MTI Clear Lid (Free Ram Air Mod Raised Air box) Larger MAF Ends,K&N Filter, SS Exhasut with cut out, rear Lower control arms,smooth bellows,12.894@107.10MPH Dynoed 316 HP (Before RLCA and smooth bellows) 8.3.12 @86.86 1/8th mile 121,000 miles

Onyx Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 FOR SALE

They're faster than you think. My best friend has an '06 automatic GT which I've driven extensively and it impressed me. I've raced a few of our friends in it: '98 Cobra with exhaust - beat it
    '97 GT with PI motor/bolt-ons - beat it
    '05 GT M5 with exhaust - got pulled by a fender up to 110
    '94 Z28 stock - pulled 2 or 3 cars
    '02 Z28 A4 intake/catback - got pulled by half a car up to 110
    '04 Cobra intake/exhaust - got pulled pretty bad

It's an impressive car. With good tires, and most importantly a good driver, it could see it being a solid mid 13 second car. Definitely faster than an LT1, but a step or two behind an LS1. Most people on here and ls1tech.com aren't very fair. Of course a stock 3V 4.6, brand new, won't keep up with a broken-in modded LS1. Stock for stock, the LS1 still has the advantage, but the 3V is not that far behind, and who knows what potential it has. It has already shown up the 4V.

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaZeLS1
    They're faster than you think. .
    I felt good when my friend, who drives a modded 04 Cobra and one who drives a seriously modded Camaro SS said that they was shocked at my times during our track runs. The Camaro guy traded in his Jeep Rubicon for an 06 Mustang just last week. He said he fell in love with the car right after I let him drive it once. We both are Chevy guys that have bought our first Ford. This is the best mustang I've seen in my time.

Thread Information