Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by jking
    lol..

When I had my 04', I had the 02' Z28 at the same time, and there was so little difference in the performance, when it came time to get rid of one of them because my daughter was about to be born, I got rid of the more expensive one...

A few months ago, when I decided that I had not outgrown racing and shit, I thought about saving money and going with another Fbody.

But my wife wanted a Vette, and then my buddy let me run around in his new C6 for a while, and I got Vette fever again... I always wanted a Z06 anyway..
    Lucky you... I would love to have a Z06, but I will need a back seat soon and insurance is insane on a Z06 for me.

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by V8This
    Lucky you... I would love to have a Z06, but I will need a back seat soon and insurance is insane on a Z06 for me.
    You said you needed 4 doors and a vette doesn't even have 4 seats.

Drive it like u stole it! newguy WS6's Avatar

Black
    06' GTO

Nice...
    If I read correctly you said the race started in 4th gear? Man how fast were you guys going? If you were going form a 40 roll thats why he pulled out on you. Id be interested to know.

Anyway welcome aboard and thanks for not being a jerk on here. I have purposely tried to stay off here the last week or so due to the intense amount of BS form some of these threads.

Steve

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

^We started at about 60ish area. I would have started in 3rd if there where honks. I hold a gear higher, then when the honks begin I down shift and boost brake. I never got a chance to do that since there were no honks, so I had lag for a moment, but excuses are excuses. I would love to have a go with another one though to see if starting in 3rd will make a big difference.

Black
    06' GTO

Cool.. I wasnt trying to bust your balls or anything, just curious what speed you were going form in 4th.

brake boosting is the way to go though if you can get it down a gear or 2. boost is awesome if done correctly.

Steve

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

^Oh don't take my post the wrong way, I just hate excuses... I hate when you race someone and they lose and have an excuse, like I have a boost leak or my car isn't tuned right or something of that nature. If there is something wrong with your car then don't race.

Boost is more than awesome, I drive around and hit boost just for the hell of it. I swear its a drug and I'm so addicted LOL!

Black
    06' GTO

I feel ya.. I hate excuses too.. Got this guy Ive been racing at the strip. he has a trail blazer SS with the LS2. He says he shooting 100 hp of NOS through it and has a converter. We run almost every week. 1st Week I got him close to 12 lengths. 2nd week he changed the converter and went to a bigger shot 125hp... I still beat him.. But he did stay within a length that time. I gave him a hard time and told him to go home, go to the 150 jet and come back for more.. it was ll in good fun though . Hes a pretty nice guy.. he also runs the track I race at.

Thanks
    Steve

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

^I have still not been the the track with my car... I am ver auxious to go this weekend, to see what I run. If I'm not in the 12s I'll be pissed. I am aiming for a 12.5, so we will see. Hopefully I get out to the track this weekend, although I have been saying that since April 1st... To much crap going on and the fiance hates when I leave for a period of time on the weekend. She says I already work too much.

Black
    06' GTO

good luck!!

black
    1999 Trans Am

FIANCE>>>>????? damn......ur only 18........

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by boone94
    FIANCE>>>>????? damn......ur only 18........
    Haha! I was waiting for someone to catch that. I'm surprised why no one has asked why I need 4 doors yet...

It looks like I'll be at the track on Friday, so I am full of excitement. I can't wait to see what the car actually runs...

Awaiting Activation
    I ran into an sti last spring in my 03. I was following him and he kept mashing on it and speeding away then slowing and repeating. He was doing 50-60 in a 25. I wasn't going to race him anyway. But, it really pissed me off. I finally caught up to him on the interstate and it turns out to be Jamie Hacking. We pulled over and talked for awhile. He had just got back from running in Daytona. He had a lot done to his sti. You could tell someone with a lot of money modded the car. He said he thought I could take him on the interstate but he would have me off the line. I doubt I could even take him from a roll on concrete with my tires from 80. A few days before I upped the boost on my KB to 21 psi. It was cold out that morning. I thought my clutch had been slipping. I also run a 3.90 gear. I got up to 80 in third and slammed it. The first thing I noticed was my shift light went right off. I thought great, my clutch is gone. Then I felt the car wiggling. I looked back and I was laying down a pair of black stripes at 100. That was running on 315 BFG KD's. He said he runs at Shadyside and that he'd like to run me. I haven't seen him there yet. I know I could beat him on ET Streets.

Member since 2001

Pewter
    Yea the wrx/sti does cost alot to mod. Did some research myself, you'll have a hardtime finding a muffler/catback for under 600 bucks. When you can pick up a decent miled ls1 for around 12 and get all your major boltons for another grand its a hard car to pass up. STI's are fast cars but I could do alot more w/ my 30-35 grand then 300 hp.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

funny, i hang at the WC in Howell...
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
    Yea the wrx/sti does cost alot to mod. Did some research myself, you'll have a hardtime finding a muffler/catback for under 600 bucks. When you can pick up a decent miled ls1 for around 12 and get all your major boltons for another grand its a hard car to pass up. STI's are fast cars but I could do alot more w/ my 30-35 grand then 300 hp.
    Yes, but see I bought the car for AutoX... I didn't buy it for drag racing, but it is decent in that aspect and if someone wants to race me I give it a go.

The STi was not built with the 1/4 in mind, it was built for AutoX and Rally. The STi would completely suck if it weren't for the AWD, which allows a 1.8 60', bone stock...

Anyway, I finally got the car to the track and was having a super hard time launching it. Believe it or not, just popping the clutch is very bad and I'm not gunna break my rear end to do it, but once I got the hang of slipping the clutch, I started pulling 13.2s and 13.1s... Which isn't bad considering the track was very rarely prepped.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Those are some good times on the STI. I thought you could dump the clutch on the sti. I myself need a new clutch cuz nothings grabs when i launch and go thru 2nd.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver
    Those are some good times on the STI. I thought you could dump the clutch on the sti. I myself need a new clutch cuz nothings grabs when i launch and go thru 2nd.
    Thats the problem with AWD. It can give you a huge advantage off the line, but it takes its toll on the clutch and drivetrain. Personally I'd rather pull a low 13 second 1/4 mile with pure Horsepower alone than because of an AWD launch

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    Thats the problem with AWD. It can give you a huge advantage off the line, but it takes its toll on the clutch and drivetrain. Personally I'd rather pull a low 13 second 1/4 mile with pure Horsepower alone than because of an AWD launch
    I'll pull a low 13s pass anyway I can... Whether it be becasue of the launch or because of the power... Although, I was able to stay right at the 1/4 panel of a SS Camaro from a roll starting in 4th (lag for me) so the car isn't just absed on the launch anymore...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by V8This
    I'll pull a low 13s pass anyway I can... Whether it be becasue of the launch or because of the power... Although, I was able to stay right at the 1/4 panel of a SS Camaro from a roll starting in 4th (lag for me) so the car isn't just absed on the launch anymore...
    What mods did you have at the time?? Because a stock STi would get destroyed by a Camaro SS from anything other than a dig, there's about a 5-8MPH difference in trap speeds, which is a significant gap.

Aspen White
    2006 WRX STi

My mods as of that race...
    Helix JDM Length Catless Downpipe (Heat Wrapped)
    JDM Fujitsubo Catback
    Cobb AccessPort With Stage 2 Map
    GoFastBits 50/50 BOV
    Ported Wastegate
    Ported Turbo Inlet
    GP Moto header (Heat Wrapped)
    Group N Motor Mounts
    Group N Tranny Mount
    Turbo Heat Wrap Kit

I now have some Defi gauges to start and monitor everything since I will be running even more boost and I have KSport coilovers, so my 60' should improve slightly.

I was running 13.3s and trapping at 100mph last Friday at the track.

Thread Information