Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7173334353637

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

How do multiple wheel studs just break off?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

over torqued will cause that.....why I never put mine on with an impact. It'll make them pop like zits. Loose will also do it. Back in high school someone loosened the lugs on my buddy's truck. He caught it before it went to the ground but the rim had basically cut 3 of the studs off.
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-19-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Well there's great news.....

Oil pan, wheel & exhaust all are good. Only victims were the lug studs, rotor, oil filter & center cap for the wheel. Thank God I quickly shut the engine off. Only loss about 4 quarts of oil. Guess she wanted an oil change...

I went ahead and replace the hub figured with 170k miles on it might as well, plus new studs already installed. Got new lugs as well and made sure every damn one of them were tight. Has to get the wheel re-balanced because the weight came off.

Here is some better pics.

All better

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    over torqued will cause that.....why I never put mine on with an impact. It'll make them pop like zits. Loose will also do it. Back in high school someone loosened the lugs on my buddy's truck. He caught it before it went to the ground but the rim had basically cut 3 of the studs off.
    I guess it was a bit of a rhetorical question lol. I just have a hard time comprehending 60% of the studs snapping off....1 yeah, maybe even 2 if you're real unlucky. Then again, we are talking about Scott's luck.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm beginning to wonder about his neighbors......maybe they're tired of that loud ass car.

Scott....glad that's all it was. From the pics it looks like that quarter panel took a beating? I would also inspect everything above that oil filter.....it looks bent to shit....make sure it do any damage above it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Loose wheel puts a ton of stress on the studs and as the wheel falls off it'll rip the weaken studs off.
    Repeated over tightening will stretch studs and make them weak. And again, as the wheel falls off...the wobble action stresses the studs to the breaking point.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder about his neighbors......maybe they're tired of that loud ass car.

Scott....glad that's all it was. From the pics it looks like that quarter panel took a beating? I would also inspect everything above that oil filter.....it looks bent to shit....make sure it do any damage above it.

I'm wondering too....neighbors that is.

Filter took some wacks with a hammer to get it straight enough to turn it off. I looked over everything prior to putting any new components on in case it was something insurance was going to need to do.

I qtr panel was ok too, it needs a tweak because the car was on jack stands for almost a yr. Body shop is going to do that when it goes in for paint.

Took it for a test drive after I triple checked every damn lug on it. To my amazement the alignment is still good. I was worried it might had been off.

Right as I'm in the middle of installing the hub one of our busy body HOA staff makes it his mission to tell me I wasn't suppose to be working on my car in a common area. It's flat and my drive way has a 25* slope. I had the tow truck place it there so if it needed moved again it would be easier. So after him nagging for about 3 mins as I'm still working I turn to him and said unless your here to hand me tools, give me a bottle of water or tag in and finish leave me in piece and it will be fix in the next 10 mins. Yes I know about the common area rules however you fail to understand or see that I could have left it in the middle of the road and then what would you have done? The fucking wheel came off what do you expect me to do? So back to work I go and it takes him 2-3 mins to realized I politely told him to fuck off and was ignoring him.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

HOA's are a pain in the ass -- so glad we don't have to deal with that shit. We rented a house out in AZ and while we were there a neighbor came and bitched that there were some weeds growing up through the stones.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I ran a hoa for a while several years ago. Most miserable job I've ever had. Think I would have rather worked fast food. Had to talk a angry home owner down one time when he came outside with a shot gun because we had people power washing the drive ways. He was upset since he was a trucker that worked long nights and was asleep and we woke him. We sent out notices and everything.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    HOA's are a pain in the ass -- so glad we don't have to deal with that shit. We rented a house out in AZ and while we were there a neighbor came and bitched that there were some weeds growing up through the stones.
    Don't even get me started. I purposely paid MORE for an older house just to stay out of an HOA... AZ is infested with them...
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Navy Blue Metallic

So after making the repairs Saturday morning, it's been on a few drives, got about 100 miles on it yesterday. Took it to work today. Forgot how much fun they are to drive.

Gotta make an adjustment to my Proportion valve for the rear brakes. Going to ttake a bit to dial it in.

I've been a thorn in our HOA for the last 4 yrs.

It started back when we turned over our roads to county for maintenance, The HOA had to give over $25,000 to the county. It caused a $100 increase for yearly fees ($400-$500). So this increase was to be "temporary", well guess what "temporary" seems to be permanent without a vote by the residents like the charter states. I've made it an issue at every meeting to the point they don't want to deal with me. I'm about to start a petition to dissolve the HOA based on this. AL has a statue dealing with that and what HOA's are allow to do. Guess what is in violation....

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7173334353637

Thread Information