Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yep the undercoating says on well in a some spots and kinda comes off in some spots. But the spots that it is kinda coming off still look better then before.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    What's the body work on the bed running you? Just curious, as I see used complete (and straight) beds for these trucks for a 3-400$ fairly regularly.
    Not sure what the final cost is yet but I will post the total. I've been looking for a clean/straight bed in my color for more than 14 months. That's really what I wanted to do. They don't exist here on craigslist within 500 miles or eBay. When they do pop up, people want 1200 to 1800 for one...800 if your lucky. But they are never the right color. And if they don't have a spray in bedliner , that's another 400 to 500 I think.
    We haven't talked money yet but if I had to guess, I'm thinking 600 to 700. Can't see it going more than 1000 but we shall see

red
    95 Z28

Yeah I wouldn't count on finding one in the right color, but painting one is only a few hundred to have it done right. Too bad people want so much for them there I guess.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Looks like it's gonna cost me $400 in paint and materials. That includes primer, paint, clear coat, body filler, sand paper, and Z71 decals($28 for a pair).
    Primer, paint, and clear make up most of that. Labor cost hasn't been determined yet.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Total cost from the body shop was $900 paint, materials, and labor. Add that to the cost of the patch panels and it was a like $1100 total. I'm fairly happy, but I've learned a few things that I would do differently...so you guys benefit, I'll share my experience. If I had to do it over again, I would either find a rust free southern bed (same color ideal for cost, but I would paint if I really had too), do a complete bed side replacement (no patch panel), or do OEM fender flares (to cover up the rust).
    Here's why. the patch panel isn't a perfect stamping and that a big area to do body work and make it perfectly straight. The pics look great right? Well its not perfect...but thats ok to me. Its better then rust.
    So if you were gonna patch it, don't use the whole panel. just use as small of an area of the patch panel as possible. You'll have less body work to do and get better results. But in the end, the seams that where the patch is welded in is the area that has a high possibility of popping back out as rust. The patch itself will outlast the truck. Its e-coated and way thicker the the stock metal. It'll last.
    I feel like replacing the whole bed side would give better results. I would end up straighter and more perfect.
    And doing a whole bed replacement would be best because everything would be factory looking, perfect, and rust free. If it was the same color it would even have some "age" patina to it and look like you never touched it.

So far I'm VERY happy with the rocker, cab corner, undercoating, and hitch rust repair. Money well spent and would do it again in a heart beat. Bed patch panel is decent 5 year repair...hopefully.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

5.0THIS, got an estimate of $400 to $500 to repaint a wrong color bed...similar to painting a topper he said. And I want to see how well the Z71 emblems look now. I think they are level and accurately located....especially compared to before...as you pointed out.

red
    95 Z28

Yeah that's why I'd go with a complete used bed, whether it cost more in the end or not As far as the decals go, they do look better

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Exactly. Cost more in the end for a better job. Hard to find them here. But u you gotta do what u gotta do.

I found a guy on Ebay who makes rocker panels for GMC trucks out of aluminium, and they are a kit. I put em mine on in one afternoon. Looks pretty good too. Less than $100 delivered.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

^^^this has to be a troll profile of someone I know. Still makes me laugh every time I read it.

Primer
    1964 ChevyII Nova

Glad to see you saved it. Rust isn't something we've had to contend with much, so I can't feel your pain

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The bottoms of both my front doors were getting pretty rusty inside...and it started creeping outside. Sure I could have cleaned them up and tried to bury the rusty metal under layers of sealer, primer, paint...but it would have come back eventually. So, just for fun, I picked up a couple rust free southern doors locally and had them painted to match my truck. I sprayed the inside, bottoms with Seal-out rust proofing to help them last. They still need some adjustment to get them to line up, but otherwise I'm very happy.
    $200 for each door...$300 to paint them...$700 total.

red
    95 Z28

Good man just bolting on rust free doors. Better way to go every time.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

98 Formula
    06 duramax

mine is starting to show some signs of the GM rust in the typical spots. I would love to do what you've done with yours but I have neither the skill or the equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

white
    2003 Silverado 2500

Truck looks great! Most body shops around me won't even touch rust issues. I love my 1999 2500 but the cab corners and rockers are too far gone.

Thread Information