Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Don't use intel graphics cards they suck. Especially the integrated ones. I didn't look at the link but if it is integrated install nvidia graphics card and disable the intel. I have that same one except the 3000 series on my desktop and I plan on disabling it and installing a nvidia.
    Actually, if you're not playing any games or doing any 3D modeling, Intel's built-in video is great.

BTW...Intel only offers integrated graphics. They don't make "graphics cards" (thank God for that).
    Well considering I don't know what he was planning on using the computer for I assumed he would be playing games which they suck for. If you will never play games on that computer go ahead but otherwise I would wave off or disable intels. I wasn't sure if they did anything in the graphics department other than integrated since most of my graphics cards are nvidia
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

It looks like your CPU is currently on sale for ~$100 less at Microcenter (if there's one near you)

Linky

They also have quality SSDs in the 128GB range for ~$100, so for the same you were going to spend you can get your CPU and boot SSD.

And everyone is automatically guessing that he wants gaming quality graphics because he is purchasing a high end CPU.

A high end CPU is needed for games or video rendering, not running Office, torrenting pron, or playing Solitaire.

The OP said he is eventually going to get a good graphics card.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

backing up data =

time to complete.......259 mins left.....

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

98, I just needed a low end graphics card for now until I can get some more money after summer.. a graphics card is a necessity anyway correct? Once I make a few hundred to spend i'm planning on getting myself a Nvidia GTX 670.

CJRex, it's not available in my state but your spot on! How do I know that alllll these parts work with the motherboard and eachother that I chose? I'm planning on buying everything on the original post's list with the exception of the processor (I would get a I7 3770K instead of the I7 3770.)

SMWS6TA, god speed my friend

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    Agreed...SSDs are far too expensive to be used for data storage. However, as an OS drive, they are excellent. 120GB is really all you need, and even the good ones can be had for under $150 in that size. I recommend the Samsung 830 or 840 series.
    Are intel's 320 series ssd's any good?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    98, I just needed a low end graphics card for now until I can get some more money after summer.. a graphics card is a necessity anyway correct? Once I make a few hundred to spend i'm planning on getting myself a Nvidia GTX 670.

CJRex, it's not available in my state but your spot on! How do I know that alllll these parts work with the motherboard and eachother that I chose? I'm planning on buying everything on the original post's list with the exception of the processor (I would get a I7 3770K instead of the I7 3770.)

SMWS6TA, god speed my friend
    If your motherboard doesn't have on board graphics, then yes, you'll need a card.

You need to check for compatibility with the motherboard. It ties all of the components together. I think the only thing they're usually picky about is the processor, RAM and video card.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    You need to check for compatibility with the motherboard. It ties all of the components together. I think the only thing they're usually picky about is the processor, RAM and video card.
    Correct...

When shopping for MB's & procressors you have to make sure they are compatible. It comes down to the type of socket that the processor sits on. The MB should say it supports AMB or Intel product XXX. Also the MB needs to be able to fit in the case you get. Cases come in various sizes. The case should say it will support XXX style MB

In addiation you must also account for how much watts your power supply will need to be. It's kinda is simple....

Add the amount you processor + GVC + hard drives (*) + disk drives (*) = XXXX watts needed.

(*) - if you have more then one you need to add together.

e.g. - Processsor 200 + GCV 200 + HD 100 + DVDRW 200 = 700 watt power supply needed minimal.

I try to add 10%-20% over the mins so that the power supply isn't working at full capacity all the time.

FANS - you can not have too many fans to cool your system down. My case has 4 total 3 large, 1 med + a giant aftermarket one for the processor.

Navy Blue Metallic

Here is a site that I've found very useful.

Hardware Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    FANS - you can not have too many fans to cool your system down. My case has 4 total 3 large, 1 med + a giant aftermarket one for the processor.
    Get quality fans.

Cheap fans will be so noisy you'll dread powering the machine on.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I love you guys. Seriously your making this x1000 times easier for me. the motherboard supports sandy and ivy bridge I3 i5 i7 so there won't be a problem with a 3000 series i7. The ram I chose was in the "customers who bought this also bought these" section, and all the ram cards I found in there were 204 pin, so that must work as well. The video card is integrated in the processor I chose, so no problems there. I'll add up the watts of the major parts to find out what it needs, pick an optical drive and monitor, than I think I'm ready thanks to you all

Oh and as for the heat problem, I'll pick up a heatsink or two. To my understanding, the processor has a fan, the case comes with two fans AND a section for water cooling, and the motherboard is supposed to have one too I think.
    Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 01-08-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

bright red
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Also dont skimp out on a processor cooler and thermal paste
    Youre already getting a fast processor you need to cool it properly especially if you plan on overclocking it in the future.
    For thermal paste get the article silver 5
    Its great I use it on everything I have

Also like everyone's mentioning I cannot stress this enough how important an ssd is. It will be a night and day difference. You have to compliment your processor with fast memory and a fast ssd
    Just like you would compliment a cam setup with intake, exhaust, and heads; it just doesn't make much sense to do just 1

Also if you plan ln doing any kind of gaming you should look into getting a dedicated video card, even budget ones like the gtx 660 can basically run most games maxed out

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Valor X View Post
    Also dont skimp out on a processor cooler and thermal paste
    Youre already getting a fast processor you need to cool it properly especially if you plan on overclocking it in the future.
    For thermal paste get the article silver 5
    Its great I use it on everything I have

Also like everyone's mentioning I cannot stress this enough how important an ssd is. It will be a night and day difference. You have to compliment your processor with fast memory and a fast ssd
    Just like you would compliment a cam setup with intake, exhaust, and heads; it just doesn't make much sense to do just 1

Also if you plan ln doing any kind of gaming you should look into getting a dedicated video card, even budget ones like the gtx 660 can basically run most games maxed out
    Someone told me about thermal paste.. I don't plan on overclocking but what does it do and where do I apply it? Also an ssd would be great but its 100 for 100gb idk if I can afford that anytime soon

Black/ Silver

Someone told me about thermal paste.. I don't plan on overclocking but what does it do and where do I apply it? Also an ssd would be great but its 100 for 100gb idk if I can afford that anytime soon
    Overclocking is when you increase the clock frequency of your processor as specified by the manufacturer. One method to achieve this is to change the clock rate so that more cycles occur per minute. CPU multiplier and memory timing can also be changed. Operating voltages can also be changed which increases the speed at which operations remain stable. Overclocking consumes more power and produces more heat so it is instrumental to keep all components nice and cool.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thank you 98!

After watching 3 hours of video from new egg explaining everything about building a computer (and with the awesome help of you guys!), I think I'm ready to build and begin I bought the I7 3770K (with integrated graphics), which comes with a stock heatsink fan with preapplied thermal paste, I got a 750 watt power supply, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram from corsair, a WD blue 1 tb HDD, a (YESSS a corsair 64 GB SSD due to popular demand mainly for the OS boot up though), a ASrock LGA 1155 extreme4 motherboard, a lite on optical disk drive, and a HAF 912 by cooler master (with 2x 120 mm fans @1200 rpm). Hopefully I can figure out the wire configuration now once it all arrives!

Black/ Silver

Thank you 98!

After watching 3 hours of video from new egg explaining everything about building a computer (and with the awesome help of you guys!), I think I'm ready to build and begin I bought the I7 3770K (with integrated graphics), which comes with a stock heatsink fan with preapplied thermal paste, I got a 750 watt power supply, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram from corsair, a WD blue 1 tb HDD, a (YESSS a corsair 64 GB SSD due to popular demand mainly for the OS boot up though), a ASrock LGA 1155 extreme4 motherboard, a lite on optical disk drive, and a HAF 912 by cooler master (with 2x 120 mm fans @1200 rpm). Hopefully I can figure out the wire configuration now once it all arrives!
    Np let me know if you need any more information.

Navy Blue Metallic

Installing complete WIN7 = 30 mins
    Installing complete Office 2010 = 30 mins

Downloading Firefox thru Explorer = 3hr, 28mins........

One more thing for those that haven't upgraded to WIN7 or 8

You will have a windows.old folder. This is a previous back up of the old OS. In WIN7 or 8 you must go into disk clean up in order to remove it from the hard drive. Clicking over the folder and deleting it is not good enough. Depending on you previous OS it could be over 150 GB of hard drive space.

To the OP, in a previous post you said you had Win 7.

With 8GB or RAM don't bother with the 32 bit version.

Install the 64 bit version and access all your memory.

A 32 bit OS can only access ~3.3 GB of RAM so most of your 8GB would just sit there and never be touched.

A 32 bit will see all 8GB, will even say it is happy with it, but it will never use it.

bright red
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

In case you were still wondering about the thermal paste,
    Think of the headsink as the radiator in a car and the thermal paste as the coolant.
    You want to use the best thermal paste to have the lowest temperatures in your setup in order to increase life of your processor and you would also be able to run lower fan speed and have a quieter system

Navy Blue Metallic

Glad you said that ^^^^

I just notice that my system is running way much faster with the 64 bit then in 32.

I thought it was just because it hasn't been loaded down yet

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Installing complete WIN7 = 30 mins
    Installing complete Office 2010 = 30 mins

Downloading Firefox thru Explorer = 3hr, 28mins........

One more thing for those that haven't upgraded to WIN7 or 8

You will have a windows.old folder. This is a previous back up of the old OS. In WIN7 or 8 you must go into disk clean up in order to remove it from the hard drive. Clicking over the folder and deleting it is not good enough. Depending on you previous OS it could be over 150 GB of hard drive space.
    What computer do you have it took mine no where near that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information