Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Hey guys I have a new update. Probably not one everyone is going to want or hear. I decided that i am going to get a new slave cylinder and master cylinder and put the transmission back together. The only problem i ever had with the tranny was the 4th gear syncro slipping if the acceleration was to fast in that gear. Problem is, is that the "Gear Box" does not have any of the parts i need in stock. And on top of all of that, they are shutting their store down from May 31st until august second. I have a lot of training and things i have to get done before i move. Thuis is a decision i am not very fond of. I do know though now how to tear the tranny apart and to rebuild it. The only two things i might really consider before putting it back together is a 3/4 syncro assembly and an input shaft. So if anyone knows of anyone who might have these much would be appreciated. And sorry for the long wait before i posted anything. And hey vexzer the tranny looks good man lol. same boat haha.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    Hey guys I have a new update. Probably not one everyone is going to want or hear. I decided that i am going to get a new slave cylinder and master cylinder and put the transmission back together. The only problem i ever had with the tranny was the 4th gear syncro slipping if the acceleration was to fast in that gear. Problem is, is that the "Gear Box" does not have any of the parts i need in stock. And on top of all of that, they are shutting their store down from May 31st until august second. I have a lot of training and things i have to get done before i move. Thuis is a decision i am not very fond of. I do know though now how to tear the tranny apart and to rebuild it. The only two things i might really consider before putting it back together is a 3/4 syncro assembly and an input shaft. So if anyone knows of anyone who might have these much would be appreciated. And sorry for the long wait before i posted anything. And hey vexzer the tranny looks good man lol. same boat haha.
    Call Tick Performance, Texas Drivetrain Performance, or D&D transmissions. All of them will be able to sell you the parts to fix your trans fully they all stock synchros, synchro sliders, gears etc so you would be all set. No sense it putting it back together with worn parts. I favor the first 2 out of the 3 listed

Fire
    2002 SS

Hey guys I have a new update. ... Problem is, is that the "Gear Box" does not have any of the parts i need
    Like redbird says, call Tick or Thegearbox, both were helpful and forthcoming with good info. I got my bronze billet pieces from Tick.
    Here's what I got:
    TICKshift Bronze Complete Fork Pad Upgrade Kit for T56 $99.99
    TICKshift #15/16 3rd/4th Billet Keys & Springs $59.99
    TICKshift #95 Isolator Cup (Bronze Upgraded) $21.99
    You can tell the pieces are bronze [not brass] since they are lightly magnetic.
    The rest of the parts came from a local transmission hard parts supplier: Nogalitos Gear, 2109234571, San Antonio TX, ask for Bobby in Manual Transmissions. He faxed an assembly diagram, I circled the parts I wanted, he quoted it by fax and I went and picked them up. You could call them or find a local supplier in your area and do the same. I replaced the syncro blocking rings [not reverse], and assembly lube ~$220. Although I replaced the mainshaft ~$225, I probably didn't have to. Also Tick & Gearbox would have had to order the mainshaft. Nogalitos had it on hand.
    Some tips:
    * Except for the bronze, all the replacement parts are Borg-Warner Tremec. There is no aftermarket magic unless heavily modifying. Shop by price & service. There are no B-W factory "overhaul kits" just those assembled by the resellers.
    * Soak the blocker rings in ATF before assembly.
    * Check the Pilot Bearing [DO NOT OVER-LUBE! If it's wet maybe just leave it alone.
    * There's a way to smooth the blocker ring and syncro engagement to facilitate faster shifting. I am trying to get research on that.
    * The rebuilder advice is to use factory ATF. The blocker ring clutches are like a posi or motorcycle in that the clutches are immersed in the fluid. Factory ATF is designed for the application. Change it on interval.
    * Vespel pads are probably a myth.
    * There is an O-Ring on the mainshaft, not on the parts lists, reuse it, it is only there to hold the parts together during reassembly.
    * Most rebuilds do not replace snap rings, c-clips, or syncros.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Thanks guys I will look those other two sites up and try and build this thing the right way the first time. Hey Vexzer quick question. When you install the syncro assemblies back in does it matter how they go back in? what I mean is like if they are turned will it do anything? And what is the best lubricant or cleaner to use to clean all of the parts for the trans? Just tranny fluid? thanks guys for the help

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Thanks guys I will look those other two sites up and try and build this thing the right way the first time. Hey Vexzer quick question. When you install the syncro assemblies back in does it matter how they go back in? what I mean is like if they are turned will it do anything? And what is the best lubricant or cleaner to use to clean all of the parts for the trans? Just tranny fluid? thanks guys for the help
    the synchro sliders dont have a front or back so it shouldnt matter and the reverse synchro should be flipped during a rebuild seeing as it only uses one side anyway so by flipping it you will have basically a new synchro assembly for reverse. I'd just use brake cleaner to clean the major parts and then apply trans fluid when assembling everything back together.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Awesome thanks Redbird I appreciate it. Thanks for the tip on the reverse I was wondering the same thing myself earlier about the reverse but that pretty much summed it up. Hey Vexzer is there any shots of the other side of the transmission with the case off? if so can you gets shots of the otherside? i need to see how those forks line up.

Fire
    2002 SS

i need to see how those forks line up.
    Mine is apart so no picts yet.
    Hey you aren't assembling it without an assembly diagram I hope! Tick has an assembly guide for free download on their site. Get one and print it.
    As far as the sliders, redbird555 you might be right and I have not looked at mine closely, but one of the forum posts on rebuilding one of these says which way the syncros go and that the grooves both face the same way -be careful with that.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

hmmm I cant find the diagram that you are talking about but I do have a manual that I am looking at. If you could send the link for it that would be greatley appreciated.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

hahaha nevermind i figured it out. The manual you are talking about is the same one i have already been using. Thanks though. I am not sure what I can do about the syncronizer assemblies.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    Mine is apart so no picts yet.
    Hey you aren't assembling it without an assembly diagram I hope! Tick has an assembly guide for free download on their site. Get one and print it.
    As far as the sliders, redbird555 you might be right and I have not looked at mine closely, but one of the forum posts on rebuilding one of these says which way the syncros go and that the grooves both face the same way -be careful with that.
    it really shouldnt matter on the old trans the grooves had to face the same way and towards the input shaft it doesnt matter on the t56 but it couldnt hurt to do it that way but you should be fine as the manual never mentions an orientation and the assemblies are all identical. the reverse should always be flipped though

Fire
    2002 SS

Heavy reading:
    Technical - Rockland Standard Gear, Inc.

So now if you google "tremec t56" picts my car and transmission show up! I guess I am famous!
    It's not about what you put on the internets, it's that you can't control how it will be used.

Fire
    2002 SS

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Thanks guys for all the help! I am currently purchasing sa few items now

Fire
    2002 SS

Installation issue regarding item: "TICKshift #15/16 3rd/4th Billet Keys & Springs". The spring tips were improperly shaped in a manner that would prevent tension against the Billet Keys held by the end of the springs. If installed as received the keys would remain loose in the carrier. After speaking with Tick they advised to file the end of the spring for better fitment. I did that and it seems OK. They checked their inventory and found other springs in stock with the same defect. I do not know if they have these made for them or if all the parts resellers just source them from the same vendor.
    Trying to upload images but can't for some reason...
    Last edited by Vexzer; 06-07-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I am finally starting to muster up the motivation to finally start getting back into my transmission. 2013 was probably one of the worst years for me. luckily no one died, but it is amazing what personal relationships can take you through. but enough with that, I promised all of you a complete tear down and rebuild and it is coming. I just ask those who have followed this thread to be patient. I will even try and get a video of the rebuild.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think most of us are still around the site

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

**UPDATE** The transmission is finally rebuilt. I will post pics when I get home tonight. My buddy and I put it altogether. Took about 4 hours but this time nothing was broken upon putting the tranny together. So thats a plus! next step is putting it in the sleeping bird and to finally wake her back up. I am just upset that it has not moved by the motor in over 2 1/2 years....slumber party is over!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Joey any updates or finish pics?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

IMG_0541.jpg This is the lower half of the trans mission getting prepped to be put together. I will show you probably one of the most important parts and details when attaching the transmission case over all of this.
    Last edited by RedFenix_68; 04-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

IMG_0225.jpg before I go on to the finished product I will show you the break down of the lower portion of the main shaft drive and gears 1-4.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information