Thread: Coolant Leak

Black
    01 T/A WS6

Coolant Leak

I have an 01 Trans Am with an ls1 in it. Today I drove the car and noticed a coolant leak. I have traced it as far as I can and seems to be coming from rear driver side of the engine above the oil filter. Appears to be higher than the freeze plug near the oil filter. Any suggestions? Does anyone know if there is a freeze plug in the rear of the engine above this point? Hoping not a head gasket

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I cannot think of anything in that area that might be the source of the leak other than the head gasket. A coolant system pressure tester can be used to apply pressure to the system with the engine off -- this would allow you to search around with a mirror and flashlight without the hassle of the engine being hot. Has the engine been overheated?

Black
    01 T/A WS6

No, the engine didn't overheat. Car was running fine, I pulled into a parking lot and noticed a few drops so I looked under the car and it was leaking pretty could...not a stream but a steady drip....guess I will be ripping it apart... I was wondering and wishing it could be a freeze plug on the back up high... Car had sat for awhile though

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Sounds like a head gasket but do not rip it apart just yet. Put it up on a lift, get a friend to help you find where the coolant is coming from with a light and a mirror like Jeff said. Pressurize the system and follow the fluid. Liquid will follow a path downward so start high. Good luck. If you have to do a head gasketyou should do both at the same time and it maybe time to do some mods while you are at it.
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 07-26-2012 at 05:06 AM.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hopefully your block isn't cracked. That is DEFINITELY not good. Is the car stock?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Zoe?

Thread Information