RED
    2001 PONTIAC TA RAM AIR

Monsoon Radio Problem

My Monsoon radio does not display the time nor the radio station it is on. The radio works perfectly fine except for that. Does that mean that I have to replace the entire system or fix something else. If anyone has this problem or knows about it, please let me know. Thanks

Black
    2000 WS-6

if your lucky, it might be a bulb in the radio thats replaceable. ive never attempted to do it on one of those radio, but ive done it on others. if thats not the problem, then its probably something you will have to live with or replace the radio. you do not have to replace the whole system to change the radio in most instances.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The display of your HU is probably shot. There is no bulb that can go bad.

The factory HU is constantly failing. The display can go crazy and show a bunch of gibberish or go out completely. The volume control can go bad and jump up and down in level on it's own. The CD player constantly has problems tracking perfectly good CD's. The entire factory stereo is a huge POS. If we still had the old LS1.com Electronics section you could read all about all the problems people have had with the POS Monsoon system.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    99 Z28

You don't have to replace whole system, but you will need to replace the head unit. It's not worth having the factory head unit fixed. Time for upgrades!

Black
    2000 WS-6

the monsoon system really isnt that bad for a factory system. of course it is going to have problems. the newest systems are more than 3 years old now and the earlier ones, even just the ones on ls1's are 7 years old. think how happy you would be to have an aftermarket head unit last that long. we have to think realistically here people, we are talking about electronics.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by tamu130
    the monsoon system really isnt that bad for a factory system. of course it is going to have problems. the newest systems are more than 3 years old now and the earlier ones, even just the ones on ls1's are 7 years old. think how happy you would be to have an aftermarket head unit last that long. we have to think realistically here people, we are talking about electronics.
    IMO thats a load of crap. My friend has my 14 year old Kenwood that is still going strong. His brother has an Alpine thats even older than that and it performs like it did when he bought it brand new. I've got boom boxes that are 10 years old and older and they still work flawlessly. GM's electronics are bargain basement el-cheapo crap that isn't worth 1/4 of what they add to the final cost of the car.

Black
    2000 WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal
    IMO thats a load of crap. My friend has my 14 year old Kenwood that is still going strong. His brother has an Alpine thats even older than that and it performs like it did when he bought it brand new. I've got boom boxes that are 10 years old and older and they still work flawlessly. GM's electronics are bargain basement el-cheapo crap that isn't worth 1/4 of what they add to the final cost of the car.
    i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions. your 3 or 4 example dont really hold much weight in this conversation. im sure you can find plenty of examples of people having factory gm setups that are the same way. stuff isnt built to last that long anymore, whether your talking about factory or aftermarket. its only meant to last that one year manufactorers warranty or that 3 years/36,000 miles. if it last longer than that, its a bonus for you.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I've been involved in car stereo for 30 years now and I've got a LOT more than 3 or 4 examples. I don't have the time or desire to list every single one.

Black
    2000 WS-6

i dont think your understanding the point. its not the number of examples that are the point. its that your examples are for old equipment. if you have been in the business for 30 years, then you know that a high number of ppl abuse their equipment. abuse causes failure faster than bad equipment. besides, older equipment usually has fewer parts to break.

on another note, sticking with actual intend of this thread, i still have the monsoon radio out of my ws6, redheat. it worked great when i pulled it out. if you are interested, let me know.

Black
    99 Z28

Not that it really matters, but I have PPI amps that are something like 12 or 13 years old and they're still pounding like when they were new. Yeah, it would be unrealistic to expect any GM electronic equipment to last longer than 3 or 4 years. Almost all the sensors go bad and the computer in our car is a total piece that you're lucky if you can even get through the factory warranty with.

If you can't taste the sarcasm, that's what it is.

Plenty of stock radios from GM are still out there and functioning fine, but plenty of them are broke. Who knows what the exact causes are, maybe some humidity and other environmental factors come into play.

I wouldn't worry about any of that. The point is, a GM factory radio leaves a lot to desire to begin with. If it is messing up, it sounds like a wonderful time to upgrade.

Just as if your stock exhaust headers were leaking, would you seriously want to put stock headers back in? Didn't think so. They'd be way too expensive and you'd gain nothing. It'd be time for upgrade.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i like teh monsoon-that 5 band eq is seriuosly one of the best features on it. Pretty much THE DRIVING FORCE that makes me want to keep it even though the clock burned out. I hate after market shit b/c you have to push so many buttons to get to eq's and shit-its a pain in the ass. Monsoon-look down, slide eq, look up.

RED
    2001 PONTIAC TA RAM AIR

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My previous TA was a new 98 and the Monsoon radio went bad in less than 3 years without abusing the system. The one from my 01 TA actually lasted 4 years without problems. I am new to the forum and as I read the Monsoon problems, I had no idea that so much problems existed with the radio system. I don't know if it is poor quality from GM, but when I think about it, my other stereo systems at home like Sony have lasted for at least 10 years. I had a Fisher system which also lasted for about 10 years. Thanks tamu130 for the offer. I am not sure what I will do yet whether to go for a different system or stick with another Monsoon. At least the radio works and I can listen to music.

Thread Information