Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by White 95 T/A View Post
    Hey guys theres a 3000GT VR4 Twin Turbo (AWD) around my parts that wants to race me in my 95 Trans Am or my friend in his 01 T/A WS6.

If either of us were to race the 3000Gt how would the outcome be?
    Has anyone here raced a 3000GT VR4 and would like to share their story?

Please post if you know, thx.
    I raced a friend of mine like 50 times in his 97 VR4, He had a stock car, except for exhaust. his was all wheel drive. I had a 99 Trans Am M6 which was all stock at the time. He would jump me real bad off the line and then I would catch up a little bit in 3rd gear, then we were about even after that, noone could pull on the other one. Now, from a 2nd gear roll, we were pretty even, evry time.

From a dig, he reved up the motor to about 6 grand and launched like a bat out of hell and I did not have that option. He sold the car before it broke. I never got to race him after my mods.

So to answer your question, A LT1 would lose to a 97-99 VR4, and a LS1 is about even, in my experiance. Remember to always try to race a AWD car from a roll if possible.
    Torch Red -1999 FRC Corvette- Borla Stinger exhaust, Halltech Stinger intake

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    I raced a friend of mine like 50 times in his 97 VR4, He had a stock car, except for exhaust. his was all wheel drive. I had a 99 Trans Am M6 which was all stock at the time. He would jump me real bad off the line and then I would catch up a little bit in 3rd gear, then we were about even after that, noone could pull on the other one. Now, from a 2nd gear roll, we were pretty even, evry time.

From a dig, he reved up the motor to about 6 grand and launched like a bat out of hell and I did not have that option. He sold the car before it broke. I never got to race him after my mods.

So to answer your question, A LT1 would lose to a 97-99 VR4, and a LS1 is about even, in my experiance. Remember to always try to race a AWD car from a roll if possible.
    Sorry to tell you bud, but your estimations are Waaaay Off! A 3000GT VR4 is around a low 14-second/ high 13-second car at between 99-101mph. Don't believe me, just go to the forums, ask a owner, look up old magazine articles, or whichever you prefer. They were not all that quick. Either your buddy was pullin' your leg, or you've got one heck of a slow Trans-Am!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I ran a 13.2 stock and had no problems with any year of the vr4, my friend had a 94 but it had 155k on it and nothing rebuilt, so he lost pretty bad. Also have a friend wit ha 98 with 32k miles on it bone stock i would take him by 2-4 cars id say up to 100-110mph.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Sorry to tell you bud, but your estimations are Waaaay Off! A 3000GT VR4 is around a low 14-second/ high 13-second car at between 99-101mph. Don't believe me, just go to the forums, ask a owner, look up old magazine articles, or whichever you prefer. They were not all that quick. Either your buddy was pullin' your leg, or you've got one heck of a slow Trans-Am!
    They are not estimations, when it comes to the 97 AWD VR4 vs my LS1 m6, they were actual races, I was actually the one in the races (alot of them) and I know how fast his 97 VR4 was and how fast my 99 TA was.

The 97 specs were a 0-60 in 4.8, alot better than a LS1, the reason of course is the AWD.

The 97 VR4 weighed 3600 pounds and had 320 hp engine with twin turbos at 14 psi stock boost. It had a 6 speed tranny and pulled a .95 on the skid plate, there is your magazine article. And the same article says it was tested to a 13.6 ET and has 245/40 18 wheels on all 4 corners, top speed is computer limited to 160 mph. It was a great all around performance car.

They are very comparible to the 98-02 LS1 f bod cars in the qaurter mile, but will get smoked 0-60 and get left behind in the corners.

I respect the VR4 breed a lot, but I would still rather have a Trans Am. It is more my style.

10's N/A

They are not estimations, when it comes to the 97 AWD VR4 vs my LS1 m6, they were actual races, I was actually the one in the races (alot of them) and I know how fast his 97 VR4 was and how fast my 99 TA was.

The 97 specs were a 0-60 in 4.8, alot better than a LS1, the reason of course is the AWD.

The 97 VR4 weighed 3600 pounds and had 320 hp engine with twin turbos at 14 psi stock boost. It had a 6 speed tranny and pulled a .95 on the skid plate, there is your magazine article. And the same article says it was tested to a 13.6 ET and has 245/40 18 wheels on all 4 corners, top speed is computer limited to 160 mph. It was a great all around performance car.

They are very comparible to the 98-02 LS1 f bod cars in the qaurter mile, but will get smoked 0-60 and get left behind in the corners.

I respect the VR4 breed a lot, but I would still rather have a Trans Am. It is more my style.
    A 4.8 second 0-60 time does not suprise me coming from an AWD Turbo car. A quick 60 is to be expected, and is more than likely going to be quicker than a V8 with a comparable amount of power. Traction of course is the beneficiary of AWD.

Second, I saw a 13.6 second time posted for a stock VR4 as well, but it was ran with a 101.8mph trap. Still very respectable numbers, but nowhere on par with a "healthy" LS1. A properly driven LS1 M6 will trap around 107, and i'll be the first to tell you bud, a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - in stock trim - aint gettin' nowhere near that! While the VR4's benefit from all-wheel drive, the LS1's generate more horsepower and torque, and are ultimately the faster car.

With all concluded, there respectable performers, but not in LS1 territory!

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Agreed... but 107? Hell, I've seen non-vette LS1s go over 110 with my own eyes. Not in LS1 territory in the straight line or in the turns.... And a 4.8 LS1s will do from 0-60 on decent street tires. Drag Radials fuhgettaboutit... He's trying to compare the fastest VR4 time I've ever seen in the 1/4 to the average LS1. VR4s are LT1 territory, not LS1 w/ the nod still going to the LT1.

The fastest documented LS1 that I know of went 12.87 by evan smith. How does your VR4 compare now?

Chris

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Agreed... but 107? Hell, I've seen non-vette LS1s go over 110 with my own eyes. Not in LS1 territory in the straight line or in the turns.... And a 4.8 LS1s will do from 0-60 on decent street tires. Drag Radials fuhgettaboutit... He's trying to compare the fastest VR4 time I've ever seen in the 1/4 to the average LS1. VR4s are LT1 territory, not LS1 w/ the nod still going to the LT1.

The fastest documented LS1 that I know of went 12.87 by evan smith. How does your VR4 compare now?

Chris
    Ya, I dont have a VR4, but I do have respect for them, and have seen them run at the track. They ran comparable trap speeds and ET's to my stock 99 Trans Am numbers. Which were always mid 13's. With Trap speeds around 100-105 mph.

And as far as the 12 sec F-bod claims, Im sure they do exist, I just have not seen em around here, or at the Rogersville track where I used to run.

The answer to the original topic of the thread is that the LS1 f-bos and 97-99 VR4 cars are a drivers race, a LT1 will lose if equal drivers.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I think we'll just have to disagree, then. I just don't feel it's a driver's race. Put any driver in any showroom stock VR4 against me driving an M6 non-vert LS1, and despite the fact that I am not the best driver in the world and they are, they will lose continuously. Why? Because at a typical track I can run consistent low 13s in the LS1, and the VR4 can't. My point? It's not a driver's race. We're more than half a second apart in terms of capabilities.

LT1 is the driver's race. Equal drivers and my money is still on the LT1, but maybe you're right about that outcome. That'd be a fun one to watch or drive in.

Chris

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

I think we'll just have to disagree, then. I just don't feel it's a driver's race. Put any driver in any showroom stock VR4 against me driving an M6 non-vert LS1, and despite the fact that I am not the best driver in the world and they are, they will lose continuously. Why? Because at a typical track I can run consistent low 13s in the LS1, and the VR4 can't. My point? It's not a driver's race. We're more than half a second apart in terms of capabilities.

LT1 is the driver's race. Equal drivers and my money is still on the LT1, but maybe you're right about that outcome. That'd be a fun one to watch or drive in.

Chris
    When you say you run low 13's, is that in your Vette, because Im speaking of LS1 F-bods, which was the original topic, I agree a LS1 Vette is faster than a VR4, becasue of the 300 or so pounds less it weighs??

A LS1 vette will run low 13's all day, a 97 VR4 will run mid 13's, as will a LS1 F-body car. Camaro, Formula, Trans Ams. All being M6 models.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

That's true, it is in my vette. That's a '97 vette. Still, it seems that the performance difference in the 1/4 between a vette and an F-bod is insignificant. Ever run side by side in one? You really don't see a performance difference until over 100mph, and I think that's due to aerodynamics more than anything. Some stock vettes have broken into the 12s, and some F-bods have. The fastest documented stock LS1 that I've seen was still an F-bod in MM&FF.

Whatever bro, VR4s are cool. Especially given the fact that it's comes with turbos stock, I wouldn't assume anything if I raced it on the street.

Chris

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

That's true, it is in my vette. That's a '97 vette. Still, it seems that the performance difference in the 1/4 between a vette and an F-bod is insignificant. Ever run side by side in one? You really don't see a performance difference until over 100mph, and I think that's due to aerodynamics more than anything. Some stock vettes have broken into the 12s, and some F-bods have. The fastest documented stock LS1 that I've seen was still an F-bod in MM&FF.

Whatever bro, VR4s are cool. Especially given the fact that it's comes with turbos stock, I wouldn't assume anything if I raced it on the street.

Chris
    I have owned a 99 m6 TA and a 99 Vette m6, stock to stock, I can tell a differance. My Vette runs better, especially 0-60. It is alot easier to launch as well.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I always heard that IRS is harder to launch

Black
    1993 3000GT VR-4

stock VR-4's (94+) run 9psi. With a simple $20 boost controller and fuel pump hot wire ($30) you can usually run around 14 psi on pump gas with stock fuel pump and injectors.

BPU mods on mine, i ran 12.60 @ 109.

10's N/A

Chris
    +10!!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Well, i ra na 13.2 stock, i ahve never seen a stock vr4 do that, and yes with any turbo car, you can throw a boost controller on and up the power. 12.6 aint bad but my car is a street car nto a track car, 70% of my races are fro ma roll, where i would much rather have the v8 rather than the awd anything.

10's N/A

Ya, I dont have a VR4, but I do have respect for them, and have seen them run at the track. They ran comparable trap speeds and ET's to my stock 99 Trans Am numbers. Which were always mid 13's. With Trap speeds around 100-105 mph.

And as far as the 12 sec F-bod claims, Im sure they do exist, I just have not seen em around here, or at the Rogersville track where I used to run.

The answer to the original topic of the thread is that the LS1 f-bos and 97-99 VR4 cars are a drivers race, a LT1 will lose if equal drivers.
    I don't even think it's worth the argument anymore. 99% of us know which car is faster - hands down. It's like comparing apples to oranges! But, there's always going to be that 1% that believes otherwise.

Jay

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I like Green Apples

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information