Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Video and pics from my first autocross

Like the title says this was my first time out, had a blast and ended up cutting 5 seconds off my first time by then end of my times with a lot more room for improvement.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Lookin good! I do alot of autox and its glad to know at least one other person on here has started. Ive got a youtube page with a few vids myself

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

HEY!!! I WAS THERE!!

YOu gotta keep raceing in FWR! its a blast. Was this the haloween autoX or the november 1?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

November 1st. I remember your car, ws6 auto right? I don't think I met you though but the guy with the other red t/a (rich? can't remember his name of the top of my head) pretty much showed my everything I was doing wrong haha.
    Last edited by Shermanator86; 12-22-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

Yeah. That was a pretty good event for me too! Im still a little upset not to have been all that compeditive with most of the competition, but i shaved a second and a half from two weeks earlier. I may have some more pictures of your car, i will post a link on here when i have them done.

You will be back next year right?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

yea I'm planning on it, it was a plast. I really want to run at the Coliseum to, I watched a couple video of runs there and it looks a little more open course.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

Im Jordan, the younger guy with the Red ws6 and ram air. We met. My buddy has the epically fat challenger that beat me at both ipfw events this year.

The older guy with the red ws6 w/o ram air is John. he is a great guy to learn from, he has been autoX f bodies for about 5 years now i think, plus he is an suspension engineer for navistar, and previously delphi. I dont think there is a person out there that knows more about fbody autoX mods than him.

Its a long way from you but hopefully you could make it down Grissom some time. Its my favorite course that FWR region runs.

If your looking to do more events close to you I would look into South Bend Region. They are a good group of guys. They have fewer people and events each year, and I dont think there are too many F-body guys in the region, but they give out allot of stuff and in general the cars are nicer than allot of the FWR crews.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Damn forgot his name was john, remembered his last name and I have his email but couldn't think of his first name, yea him and his son james helped me out alot. And sorry for not remembering meeting you seems like I met 200 people that day haha. Yea i looked up grissom and its about a 2 hour drive for me but that wouldn't be bad, south bend is an hour away just like the fort but I'm in fort wayne all the time and know the area better (went to IPFW for engineering) so I'll probably run down there. My big choice is if I wan't to run in stock or not, was planning on getting stranos drop springs, adj pan hard bar, and lca's this winter and I think that would put me in sts.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

No biggie on the memory, I am pretty bad with names and faces.

If you really enjoyed the autoX I would hold off on some of the mods, and get used to how your car handles now. Suspenison mods can make allot of difference on the track, but while your car is stock all of the fbody issues are appearent now. If you throw on mods you may find it didnt even matter or worse, your car was suited better to your driving style before.

From what i have seen there are 3 major "problems" when autoX an fbody.
    1. You HAVE to brake in a straight line. Our cars have excessive wieght transfer in slow turns, and me being a late braker, this is really hard for me to learn.
    2. There is always Understeers over 30. This is part my late brakeing, part our bad weight transfer, always a pain in the A**
    3. Wheelhop on heavy excel. This should be fixed by your panhard bar. That may be a worthwile mod.

You may have all differnet issues though, and anything you add will change your car. Most pros say that driving a fully modded car only hides the novice mistakes, which just making it harder to get better. When it comes to the LCAs and EXPECIALLY the springs, I would let it go until your time deltas are within a second for the full day.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

BTW,

I will graduate with BSME from IPFW in like 4 months. SO i hope you had TONS of job offers.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

HAHA +1 on the late braking, I was carrying way to much speed into most of the corners. As for the mods, I also plan on taking the car to the drag strip so the suspension will help there a lot as well, but I plan on leaving it stock until at least spring so I can get some drag times in stock form. So who knows maybe I'll leave it alone for the whole summer or half the summer and just see how far I can get with the stock set up.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Jknerr View Post
    BTW,

I will graduate with BSME from IPFW in like 4 months. SO i hope you had TONS of job offers.
    I got my AS in MET last spring and am 4 classes into my bs, got a decent job back home so the bs is kind of on the back burner right now, would like to get it finished but don't want to get any more student loans. Good luck finding a job though, sucks with navistar moving out of town.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

The panhard prolly wouldnt be a bad peice of equipment. If you really decided to put money in though, i would wait on the LCAs and put down for some good coilovers. Springs throw off you response time, you get high freqency vibrations, and a lower natural freqency, unless you buy a stiffer shock too -- hence new coilovers.

I for one really want to get a subframe connector. It will keep me stock but my hope is that some of the weight transfer is caused by a weak chassis.

BTW, the times are posted on the FWSCCA.com. You were only about a half second behind me and you beat my GF in my car by about 3 seconds!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

yea sfc's will be on my list to and I planned on bilsteins with the lowering springs. I still have my time slips and I was constantly cutting time off until my last run when i went backward haha, I know there is more to be had just need more practice and learn how to brake with my left foot a lot better.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

R u a manual or an auto?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

manual, for some reason getting my left foot over to the brake pedal was just awkward for me

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

thats becuase you need to heel toe like a hero.

Try driving that way in normal roads and it will be a little easier. Im not very good at it either, and i dont have that extra pedal in the way.

Thread Information